Mantis Founders Railway Carriage
- A unique experience sleeping in a Railway Carriage
- Personal staff and guide
- Exclusive use of the Railway Carriage
- Big 5 safari (25000ha of game reserve)
- An intimate insight into the world of nature conservation
- Private, intimate and family friendly
- Situated on a private concession
- Bear Grylls Survival Academy – accredited kids programme
- Big FiveYes
- Off RoadYes
- Camp FencedYes
- Child PolicyChildren of all ages are welcome
- SPAIn-room spa treatments (on request)
- Cellphone SignalYes
- Malaria AreaNo
- Wheelchair FriendlyNo
+- 11 hours from OR Tambo International airport
85km from Chief Dawid Stuurman International Airport
52km to Grahamstown
Exclusive use only
3 x compartments – 5 sleeper
1 x main double sleeper
1 x a two berth
1 x single compartment.
Rates & Special Offers
Deals By Date
- All rates are subject to availability
- Proof of SADC residency may be required at the time of booking or upon check-in at the lodge
- Surcharges may apply on rates over peak holiday periods and long weekends.
- Unless otherwise stated, all rates listed are based on a minimum 2 night stay. Surcharges may apply for a 1 night booking.
- Rates quoted are only applicable to South African Residents. Special discounted rates for International Residents are available on request.
- The Railway Carriage Family Offer special rate is based on 1 – 5 guests max.
- Children of all ages are welcome.
- The Family special offer rate is per night based on 1 – 5 guests max.
- Children 4 years old and over are allowed on game drives.
About Mantis Founders Railway Carriage
The first of its kind in the Eastern Cape is Founders Railway Carriage. Permanently stationed atop a hill within the Founders Lodge private concession, offering outstanding views of the valley from the outdoor deck. Guests are invited to join onboard for an intimate and exciting experience as they immerse themselves within nature. Founders Railway Carriage is suitable for all ages.
- Personal staff & guide
- Lounge area
- Dining area
- Bird Watching
- Varied dining venues in and around the lodge
- Rhino monitoring
- Nature walks within a rare biome with distinct flora and fauna
- Guest impact experience with programs focused on conservation and community impact
- Interactive wildlife tracks & signs of the bush
Follow the N2 east out of Port Elizabeth, heading towards Grahamstown bypassing the R342 turn-off.
Continue along the N2, cross the Bushman’s River until you reach the Sidbury sign.
Turn left on the gravel road and follow this road until you reach a T-junction.
At the T-junction turn left, you only travel 500m and you will turn left again and follow sign boards to Founder ‘s Lodge.