- Leobo Private Reserve is a completely private 20,000 acre estate based in the beautiful Waterberg mountains, 3 hours drive north of Johannesburg and home to probably the most stunning safari house in Africa not only from an architectural and style perspective but also as a fantastic bush safari home for families and small groups.
- This remarkable house is state of the art, with breath taking views and the ultimate in luxury. Serviced by a butler, maid and chef, it also has a heated infinity pool and jacuzzi on the roof. There is an automated Observatory that is perfect for stargazing through an automated 20-inch telescope.
- Designed by award-winning architects Silvio Rech and Lesley Carstens.
- Big FiveNo
- Off RoadYes
- Camp FencedNo
- Child PolicyAll Ages Welcome
- PoolHeated Infinity Pool
- SPAIn-room Massages
- Cellphone SignalYes
- Malaria AreaNo
LocationWaterberg region, overlooking the Palala Valley
3.5 hour drive from Johannesburg.
Rates & Special Offers
Deals By Date
- Rates are per lodge per night, based on 6 guests sharing.
- The lodge accommodates a maximum of 9 guests (6 adults & 3 children).
- Special discounted rates for additional guests are available on request.
- All rates are subject to availability.
- Proof of SA residency may be required at the time of booking or upon check-in at the lodge.
- Surcharges and a minimum 5 night stay may apply on rates over peak holiday periods and long weekends.
- Unless otherwise stated, all rates listed are based on a minimum 2 night stay. Surcharges will apply for a 1 night booking.
- Rates quoted are only applicable to South African Residents. Special discounted rates for International Residents are available on request.
- Rates quoted are for exclusive use of the lodge per night.
- Children aged 0 – 4 years stay free of charge.
- Please contact your BushBreaks & More consultant for a quote for children aged 5 – 12 years.
About Leobo Private Reserve – Observatory Villa
The Observatory Villa is set on an 8000 hectare (20 000 acre) wildlife reserve within the beautiful Waterberg mountains of South Africa, just 3 hours drive north of Johannesburg. The estate is encompassed by rugged rocks, mountainous areas, bushveld savannah, rivers, gorges, an abundance of wildlife and rich in archaeological history and Bushman paintings.
The reserve teeming with plains game, as well as hippo, is one of only a handful of sole-use private reserves in Africa, allowing guests full access to the entire estate and all its facilities. There are endless things to do as the reserve offers a range of exhilarating outdoor experiences that are possible due to the fact that Leobo is not a Big 5 reserve.
This magnificent, malaria-free destination provides the setting for the exclusive and private safari house, the Observatory Villa, designed by award-winning architects Silvio Rech and Lesley Carstens. An exceptional design, not only from an architectural and style perspective, but also as an experience. Built from stone and glass it offers a luxurious interior and exterior including a suspended Lounge, a heated infinity pool and a rooftop jacuzzi with breath-taking views out over the Palala Valley.
One of the most unique features of the Villa is that it houses an Observatory where guests can enjoy the most wonderous Starlight Safari through two different telescopes. One for tracking stars and planets, and the other allows one to look directly at the sun. There is no light pollution due to the remoteness of the reserve which assists with expansive and clear views of the night sky.
The Observatory Villa is a veritable feast for all the senses, an inimitable space with its bespoke interiors and African cutting-edge style that compliments the beauty and grandeur of the Waterberg. As a result of the owner’s spirit of adventure together with the visionary architectural design, this unique destination will undoubtedly leave you spellbound.
It is designed especially for the discerning traveller looking for adventure and a desire for the luxury of selectivity. It is the perfect, ‘must do add-on’ to your Big 5 African experience (we call it Aprés Safari). Our completely tailor-made, sole-use of the reserve experience will perfectly compliment the scheduled, luxury game lodge experience you have just enjoyed. There are no daily programs or time restrictions. Imagine no 5 o’clock morning wake up calls and no other guests to consider. A place for you to do as much, or as little as you please. You don’t need to be adventurous or an adrenalin junkie, just a family or a bunch of friends who believe in enjoying themselves and value quality time together in a private setting.
- Heated Infinity Pool
- Private Chef & Butler
- Fire Place
- Braai Area
- TV Room with 3D TV, DVD Player, Satellite & DSTV
- Kiddies Nursery with triple bunk bed
- Research grade observatory with automated 20-inch telescope
- Inside and outside multi-room music system
- Thermal Imaging equipment for night time game viewing
About Waterberg Region
Situated in a malaria-free area, there is an abundance of wildlife and birdlife at Leobo, and viewing can be done from a Land Cruiser or quad bikes. It is also possible to do bush walks at any time of day. We predominately have plains game as well as Crocodile and nocturnal creatures such as Pangolin, Aardvark, Hyena. Lion, Rhino, Buffalo and Elephant are not present on the Reserve. Leopard and Wild Dog do occur, infrequently, on the reserve as they traverse the vastness of the Waterberg. Guests have access to 8 kms of the Palala River, Tafelkop Mountain and the rest of the entire property. The concept at Leobo is that you should be able to go anywhere on the Reserve and feel safe.
Guests can partake in a variety of activities such as Fly Fishing, Cave exploring, Mountain roping adventure and more. Kayaking is also offered, depending on the water levels of the river.
Should guests want to experience the Big 5 this can be arranged – in advance and subject to availability on a neighbouring Big 5 Game Reserve.
- Game drives
- Day at the River Camp
- Day at Beach Camp
- Rock Art viewing
- Cave walks
- Cliff top mountain walks
- Afternoons at Mountain Lookout
- Hippo camping
Activities at an additional (On request & subject to availability)
- Quad bike safari
- Dirt bike safari
- Clay pigeon shooting
- Paint Balling – land based
FROM O.R. TAMBO INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT TO LEOBO PRIVATE RESERVE
- As you come out of the airport car-park, move immediately into the left hand lane and take the R21 towards Pretoria
- Drive for about 40 km and the take the N1 North to Pietersburg/Polokwane.
- Get off the N1 at the Kranskop Toll Gate and turn left towards Nylstroom/Modimolle onto the R33.
- Go straight through Nylstroom/Modimolle and continue on the R33 for 60kms to Vaalwater (now signed for Vaalwater / Ellisras).
- Once in Vaalwater turn right at the 4 way stop street towards Melkrivier.
- After 24kms turn right towards Sterkstroom (this will be a gravel road)
- At the t-junction turn left towards Olievenfontein
- At the next t-junction turn left again towards Melkrivier
- After a few kilometres you will see a small Leobo sign (the first part of our logo above) on your right hand side, close to the entrance gate. We will meet you here.
(Should you be coming from Johannesburg North eg: Sandton, simply get onto the N1 North and ignore the R21 road from the airport side. Remember to take the N1 merge left which bends right through Pretoria so as to not end up on the N4)
Rooms Found, Nights, 2 Adults