- Leobo Private Reserve is a completely private 20,000 acre estate based in the beautiful Waterberg mountains, 3 hours drive north of Johannesburg and home to Leobo Lodge, which exudes a rustic luxury atmosphere and has sweeping views of the Palala Valley below and of the horizon.
- We don’t offer time-tabled game drives, rigid programs or meals at set times. Of course you can go on game drives whenever you like, day or night – whenever suits you. But Leobo Reserve is for people who want a bit more out of life than a bunch of Kodak shots of the Big Five. You can do anything if you like…Just ask!
- Big FiveNo
- Off RoadYes
- Camp FencedNo
- Child PolicyAll Ages Welcome
- PoolHeated Swimming Pool
- SPAIn-room Massages
- Cellphone SignalYes
- Malaria AreaNo
LocationWaterberg region, overlooking the Palala Valley
3.5 hour drive from Johannesburg.
4 x Luxury Chalets with king-size beds
1 x Superior Chalet with double bed
2 x Standard Chalets with twin beds
1 x Standard Chalet with 2 bunk beds
1 x 2 Bedroom Family unit which sleeps 2 adults & 2 children
(Min 8 guests & Max 18 guests can be accommodated)
Rates & Special Offers
Deals By Date
- Rates above are per lodge per night, based on 6 guests sharing.
- Maximum 20 guests can be accommodated at the lodge.
- Special discounted rates for additional guests are available on request.
- All rates are subject to availability.
- Proof of SA residency may be required at the time of booking or upon check-in at the lodge.
- Surcharges and a minimum 5 night stay may apply on rates over peak holiday periods and long weekends.
- Unless otherwise stated, all rates listed are based on a minimum 2 night stay. Surcharges will apply for a 1 night booking.
- Rates quoted are only applicable to South African Residents. Special discounted rates for International Residents are available on request.
- Rates quoted are for exclusive use of the lodge per night.
- Children aged 0 – 4 years stay free of charge.
- Please contact your BushBreaks & More consultant for a quote for children aged 5 – 12 years.
About Leobo Private Reserve – Leobo Lodge
Leobo Lodge is set on an 8000 hectare (20 000 acre) wildlife reserve within the beautiful Waterberg mountains of South Africa, just 3 hours drive north of Johannesburg. The estate is encompassed by rugged rocks, mountainous areas, bushveld savannah, rivers, gorges, an abundance of wildlife and rich in archaeological history and Bushman paintings.
The reserve teeming with plains game, as well as hippo, is one of only a handful of sole-use private reserves in Africa, allowing guests full access to the entire estate and all its facilities. There are endless things to do as the reserve offers a range of exhilarating outdoor experiences that are possible due to the fact that Leobo is not a Big 5 reserve.
This magnificent, malaria-free destination provides the setting for Leobo Lodge which exudes a wonderful rustic-luxury feel with a distinct African flavour mirrored in the décor. Designed according to a traditional Safari Lodge, it’s a private space to relax and unwind. Choose to spend a lazy day around the large pool which has views that stretch out over the valley, pop over to Bone Bar for a refreshing drink and snack. Enjoy a meal around the bonfire in the Boma under the great African night sky, play a game of pool, or catch a sneaky afternoon snooze on the deck at the main lodge area.
The Leobo experience is perfectly suited for the discerning traveller looking for adventure and a desire for the luxury of selectivity. It is the perfect, ‘must do add-on’ to your Big 5 African experience (we call it Aprés Safari). Our completely tailor-made, sole-use of the reserve experience will perfectly compliment the scheduled, luxury game lodge experience you have just enjoyed. There are no daily programs or time restrictions. Imagine no 5 o’clock morning wake up calls and no other guests to consider. A place for you to do as much, or as little as you please. You don’t need to be adventurous or an adrenalin junkie, just a family or a bunch of friends who believe in enjoying themselves and value quality time together in a private setting.
- Heated swimming pool
- Fully stocked bar
- Music system
- Fire Pit
- Sunset Deck
- TV with satellite
About Waterberg Region
Situated in a malaria-free area, there is an abundance of wildlife and birdlife at Leobo, and viewing can be done from a Land Cruiser or quad bikes. It is also possible to do bush walks at any time of day. We predominately have plains game as well as Crocodile and nocturnal creatures such as Pangolin, Aardvark, Hyena. Lion, Rhino, Buffalo and Elephant are not present on the Reserve. Leopard and Wild Dog do occur, infrequently, on the reserve as they traverse the vastness of the Waterberg. Guests have access to 8 kms of the Palala River, Tafelkop Mountain and the rest of the entire property. The concept at Leobo is that you should be able to go anywhere on the Reserve and feel safe.
Guests can partake in a variety of activities such as Fly Fishing, Cave exploring, Mountain roping adventure and much more. Kayaking is also offered, depending on the water levels of the river.
Should guests want to experience the Big 5 this can be arranged – in advance and subject to availability on a neighbouring Big 5 Game Reserve.
- Game drives
- Day at the River Camp
- Day at Beach Camp
- Rock Art viewing
- Cave walks
- Cliff top mountain walks
- Afternoons at Mountain Lookout
- Hippo camping
Activities at an additional (On request & subject to availability)
- Quad bike safari
- Dirt bike safari
- Clay pigeon shooting
- Paint balling – land based
FROM O.R. TAMBO INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT TO LEOBO PRIVATE RESERVE
- As you come out of the airport car-park, move immediately into the left hand lane and take the R21 towards Pretoria
- Drive for about 40 km and the take the N1 North to Pietersburg/Polokwane.
- Get off the N1 at the Kranskop Toll Gate and turn left towards Nylstroom/Modimolle onto the R33.
- Go straight through Nylstroom/Modimolle and continue on the R33 for 60kms to Vaalwater (now signed for Vaalwater / Ellisras).
- Once in Vaalwater turn right at the 4 way stop street towards Melkrivier.
- After 24kms turn right towards Sterkstroom (this will be a gravel road)
- At the t-junction turn left towards Olievenfontein
- At the next t-junction turn left again towards Melkrivier
- After a few kilometres you will see a small Leobo sign (the first part of our logo above) on your right hand side, close to the entrance gate. We will meet you here.
(Should you be coming from Johannesburg North eg: Sandton, simply get onto the N1 North and ignore the R21 road from the airport side. Remember to take the N1 merge left which bends right through Pretoria so as to not end up on the N4)