- Mont d’Or Clarens is surrounded by the natural beauty of the Maluti Mountains of the Eastern Free State.
- Situated close to the Golden Gate Highlands National Park where you can enjoy hiking or choose to relax in the lovely spa.
- Afriski Lodge is situated 127km from Mont d’Or and some amazing ski packages are available in winter.
- Clarence golf estate is situated 3km away one can also enjoy fishing in some of the best trout fishing waters in South Africa.
- The restaurant offers sumptuous cuisine made with freshly harvested ingredients surrounded by the picturesque countryside.
- Big FiveNo
- Off RoadNo
- Child PolicyAll ages welcome
- Malaria AreaNo
LocationFree State, Clarens
3 hours drive from Johannesburg
4 hours drive from Durban
8 x Classic Suites
4 x Classic Family Suites (1 Family suite is wheelchair friendly)
2 x Executive Rooms
1 x Self-catering Villa
Rates & Special Offers
Deals By Date
- All rates are subject to availability.
- Proof of SADC residency may be required at the time of booking or upon check-in at the lodge.
- Surcharges and a minimum 3 night stay may apply on rates over peak holiday periods and long weekends.
- Unless otherwise stated, all rates listed are based on a minimum 2 night stay. Surcharges may apply for a 1 night booking.
- Rates quoted above are valid for SA Residents only. Special discounted rates for International Residents are available on request.
- Single accommodation rates are available on request. Please ask your BushBreaks & More consultant for a quote.
- Children of all ages are welcome at Mont d’Or Clarens.
- 0 – 2 years stay complimentary.
- 1 Child sharing with 1 adult per room allowed in the Executive & Classic Suites.
- 2 Children sharing with 2 adults in the same bedroom allowed in the Family Suites.
- 1 Child sharing with 2 adults in each bedroom allowed in the Self-catering unit.
- Child rates are available on request. Please contact your BushBreaks & More consultant for a quote.
About Mont d’Or Clarens
Mont d’Or is situated in the quaint historical town of Clarens in the Eastern Free State and is surrounded by the beautiful Maluti Mountains. The classically furnished en-suite executive rooms boast views on the golf course, Clarens village and picturesque countryside. It also offers a stunning spa experience if you wish to escape your daily routine or enjoy the sumptuous cuisine made with freshly harvested local ingredients.
The Suites & Self-Catering Villa
Each of the Classic Rooms has a fireplace making them incredibly cosy & comfy in winter with a queen-sized bed & an en-suite bath & shower.
Classic Family Suite
With outdoor adventures galore, Clarens is very family friendly & so are the Family Rooms at Mont d’Or. Each room has one double bed & two singles, with a cot for little ones available upon request. Guests get to watch all the excitement as your family will awaken to beautiful mountain views.
The Executive Rooms offer completely executive experience, with more space & amazing mountain views. The upstairs executive suites also have a fireplace. Enjoy a king-size bed and an array of amenities that have been included to make sure each persons experience is a special one.
The Self-Catering unit at Mont d’Or gives guests a chance to feel as though they are at their home away from home. Adjacent to the hotel and self-contained, it has 3 rooms, each of which has a double bed & a single bed. Two of these rooms have en-suite bathrooms and a third located separately. It has a fully equipped kitchenette, complete with everything one would need to make great food, from cutlery & crockery to pots and pans. With a separate entrance and parking for two cars, it is the perfect place to stay for unfettered access to Clarens’ amazing natural surroundings. This villa can accommodate a maximum of nine guests.
Clarens is a small town situated in the foothills of the Maluti Mountains in the Free State province of South Africa and nicknamed the “Jewel of the Eastern Free State”. It was established in 1912 and named after the town of Clarens in Switzerland where exiled Paul Kruger spent his last days.
The village is an artists’ haven with many well-known artists either living in or frequenting the village, with many art galleries scattered around the village. The tranquil ambience combined with beautiful views and a mild climate has made Clarens a popular getaway for city dwellers from Johannesburg, Bloemfontein and Durban, among other places. Clarens is known for its sandstone mountains and wonderful climate; it is one of the most picturesque spots in South Africa and has recently been acclaimed as the best Trout Fishing waters in South Africa.
Mont d’Or Clarens has partnered with local outdoor adventure company Clarens Xtreme to provide a whole host of activities for the whole family, as well as bespoke corporate team-building events that are guaranteed to leave everyone smiling.
It’s time to fit lifejackets and helmets and if you haven’t been nervous before, you might just get a few butterflies now. Mont d’Or Clarens offers the best adventure packages including white water rafting on the Ash and scenic mountain bike tracks.
WHITE WATER RAFTING
Come and enjoy a splash on the Ash. Best white water rafting in South Africa. The Ash river just outside Clarens provides year round rafting with 9 rapids, scenic vegetation and outstanding birdlife. White water rafting is a great family, friends and corporate adventure for young to old (aged 6 to 106 years). Experienced guides will lead you down grade III and IV rapids in the pristine waters. The action packed half day rafting includes all basic equipment needed, transport to and from the river, drinks. Approximate time of trip, three hours pick up to drop off. Minimum 2 persons.
MOUNTAIN BIKING TRAILS
Village Loop 11km –25Km, as the name says it is a loop that goes in and around our village ranging from village dirt road, single track some sand stone ridges and lekker technical down hills. Don’t let the distance fool you if you. Definitely the best to ride if you don’t have time or if you are in the mood for a short technical ride.
|Mountain Biking|Art Galleries|Clarence Golf Estate|Basotho Cultural Village (44.8km)|Boesmanskrans hiking trail|Guided white water rafting on the Ash River|Dinosaur Tours|Afriski Resort is situated 127km away. Ski packages are available in winter.|Golden gate Highlands National park (18.4km)|Quad bike riding in the Maluti mountains
- THINGS TO DO IN CLARENS & SURROUNDS: Available on request
- Afriski situated +- 127 kms away
- Visit Golden Gate National Park (+- 18 kms)
- Mountain bike and hiking trials with breathtaking views
- Horse riding
- Clarens Xtreme ,Quad Biking, Zipline, Archery, White river rafting etc.
- Hot Air Ballooning
- Visit the Cherry Festival (November)
- Visit Craft Beer Festival (February)
- Visit Clarens Brewery (Craft Beer)
- Galleries ,Art and Wine
- Take the N3 from Johannesburg to Durban
- Take the R26 Frankfort road off the N3
- Turn off on the Villiers / Frankfort off ramp, just after the Engen One-Stop
- Turn right after the off ramp towards Frankfort (R26)
- At T–Junction turn right (R26)
- Turn left at Reitz / Bethlehem still on the R26
- Pass the town Reitz en route to Bethlehem
- 53km from Reitz you will reach Bethlehem, continue straight through Bethlehem
- After Bethlehem follow signs for the R711/2 to the Golden Gate & Clarens, follow this road for 30 kilometres
- As you pass through the “neck” of Clarens, you will see a sign board: “Mont d’Or Hotel & Conference Centre” turn right and follow the road.
Rooms Found, Nights, 2 Adults