- We accept children of all ages at Morukuru, even on game drives!
- We offer families the opportunity to reconnect with one another in their own private and exclusive space.
- The Morukuru Freedom concept allows you to choose how you wish to spend your days – NO schedules only your own rhythm and pace.
- Big FiveYes
- Off RoadYes (for Big 5 Sightings Only)
- Camp FencedYes
- Child PolicyAll ages welcome
- PoolEach Safari House Has Its Own Private Pool
- SPAIn-room Massages
- Cellphone SignalYes
- Malaria AreaNo
LocationMadikwe Game Reserve
4 hours by road from Johannesburg (360km)
Three Luxury bush homes to be booked exclusively for small parties & families:
River House 3 Bedroom Safari Private House
Rates & Special Offers
Deals By Date
**SADC RESIDENTS OFFERS – Based on 4 guests sharing!
Exclusive use, Occupancy: up to 6 adults & 4 children (children of all ages welcome)
Includes: private and exclusive use of the house, complimentary Wi-Fi (limited bandwidth), breakfast, lunch, dinner, snacks, local soft drinks, water, juices, coffee, tea, local house wines & spirits, private chef, butler, host & housekeeping staff, private guide & tracker, private game drive vehicle, private bush walks (16 years & older), sundowner drinks, picnic, road transfers within Madikwe Game Reserve, entrance fee/reserve gate fee, laundry service & VAT
Please contact your BushBreaks consultant for more information.
- All rates are subject to availability.
- Proof of SADC residency may be required at the time of booking or upon check-in at the lodge.
- Surcharges and a minimum 3 night stay may apply on rates over peak holiday periods and long weekends.
- Unless otherwise stated, all rates listed are based on a minimum 2 night stay. Surcharges may apply for a 1 night booking. Over peak season a minimum 4 night stay is required.
- Rates offered above are valid for SA Residents only. Special discounted rates for International Residents are available on request.
- 2022 to 28 February 2023: Madikwe Guest Conservation Contribution Fee of R 165 per adult per night & R 82.50 per child (3 – 12 years) per night applies. The fees are subject to change and to be settled at the lodge direct.
Effective 01 March 2023: Madikwe Guest Conservation Contribution Fee of R 190 per adult per night & R 95 per child (under 12 years) per night applies. The fees are subject to change and to be settled at the lodge direct.
- Rates are quoted per house per night therefore a single supplement does not apply.
- Children of all ages are welcome.
- Please request the child policy for the Luxury House which you are interested in.
About Morukuru River House
The Morukuru Family is situated in the Madikwe Private Game Reserve, one of South Africa’s largest and malaria-free game sanctuaries. It boasts a rich biodiversity of Mammals, including the Big 5 and excellent bird viewing, with over 350 bird species.
MORUKURU RIVER HOUSE
Morukuru (meaning Tamboti Tree in Tswana) is a beautifully appointed bush lodge on the edge of the Marico River, under the Tamboti Trees that grow in abundance on the river banks. The bush home is suited to private parties and families looking for exclusive use of the lodge. The house can accommodate 6 adults and 4 junior guests. The 3 suites are adorned with king sized beds, sumptuous bathrooms, indoor and outdoor showers, fireplace for chilly nights and private wooden balconies. Junior guests are accommodated in our kids’ room (also used as our study) which is also equipped with facilities such as television, a DVD player and board games. The home is fully air-conditioned and also offers the option of ceiling fans, guest safes, internet , satellite television, small library of topical books and a selection of DVD’s and CD’s A heated infinity pool with inviting lounges, a boma for bonfire feasts, wooden veranda with romantic nooks and cosy views of the Marico river and an al fresco dining garden make this bush home a true haven. The living space consists of a dining room, lounge, double view fire place and fully equipped kitchen which is available to guests at all times for snacks and drinks at their leisure and of their choice
- Air conditioned
- En-suite bathrooms
- Indoor & outdoor showers
About Madikwe Game Reserve
Herman Charles Bosman has woven many a tale about Abjaterskop and the Marico River . It is perhaps he that best describes the vast area where enselsberg rise from the savannahs and an area that is given life from the Marico River . This is the malaria free Madikwe Game Reserve, 75 000 hectares of unique topography and breathtaking beauty, it is also the home to the big 5, wild dog, cheetah and a large variety of mammal and bird life.
This 75 000 hectare reserve is situated in the North-West province of South Africa , on the border with Botswana . The large diversity of vegetation and ecozones allows for a rich diversity of game and bird species to inhabit the reserve.
HISTORY OF THE RESERVE
The reserve was proclaimed in August 1991, but officially became the estate of the North-West Parks Board on the 31 October 1991.
The reserve is one of very few in the world that was proclaimed purely on the grounds of it being the most appropriate sustainable land use for the area in which the reserve lies. Studies done through independent consultants clearly showed that wildlife-based tourism would be the most beneficial option for an area that was in an economic depression. The vision for Madikwe was to have a joint venture run by the North-West Parks Board, private investors and the local communities living in the surrounding area. The reserve has now become a role model for many similar ventures country wide due to the successes achieved within the reserve.
Prior to the park being proclaimed, work had already begun on clearing derelict farm buildings, fencing, and a number of alien plant species.
The park has a number of old buildings that were spared from demolition and now serve as The Parks Board headquarters. There were other game scout outposts built to house game scouts and other reserve staff. The perimeter was fenced with approximately 150km of electric game fencing, which is electrified to prevent the escape of the larger game species. In the park local business and labour was used to demolish buildings, erect fences and to construct roads, dams and lodges.
Morukuru Air is able to privately charter guests from OR Tambo Airport or any or the other local airfield directly to Morukuru. The duration of the flight is +/- 50 minutes. All our guests are met on arrival by a personal escort that will greet them at the airport and assist them though immigration, baggage control and customs. They are then escorted to their personal chauffer that will transfer them to one of the local airfields for departure to Madikwe. Morukuru Air offers guests the flexibility of arrival and departure times as well as a relaxed and exclusive flight experience. Helicopter transfers can also be arranged on request as we have a helicopter platform on the private property of Morukuru.
- Game drives
- Bush walks
- Bird watching
- Outdoor mini adventures
- Pizza picnics
FROM JOHANNESBURG (OR TAMBO INTERNATIONAL)
PLEASE NOTE: We advise that you fill up with fuel at Sun City Village which is shortly after the Sun City Entrance gates on your right. There is no fuel available once in Madikwe Game Reserve.
- Take R21 to Pretoria.
- Then take the N1 North to Pietersberg (Polokwane).
- After the Zambezi Road turnoff, you take the N4 toward Rustenburg.
- After Brits look for the R556 Sun City/Pilanesberg turnoff. Follow the signs to Sun City/Pilanesberg approximately 76km.
- After passing Sun City entrance you will see the Sun City Village. Please stop here for fuel if necessary and phone the lodge to advise that you have reached Sun City.
- Join the Sun City road again and continue straight on the R556 for approximately 5 km’s. You will come to a T junction. Turn right onto the R565 toward Derdepoort.
- Follow the road for approximately 8 km’s and turn left to Bapong. Continue straight for approx 35km (IGNORE ALL SIGNS TO MADIKWE).
- After passing through Mabeskraal you will get a 4 way stop, turn right to Derdepoort.
- After 25km the tar road ends, continue straight for approximately 18km, and then turn right towards Derdepoort.
- After 23.6km turn left into the MELOA GATE. Please wait here to be met by a Morukuru Staff member – they will escort you through to the lodge.
Rooms Found, Nights, 2 Adults