Shamwari Private Game Reserve expands its offering from October to May annually by opening the Explorer Camp, a unique experience that takes guests on a guided walking safari of the surrounding land, allowing one to get up close and personal with nature.
- This wilderness bush camp itinerary comprises of a minimum 2-night trail, operational Tuesday and Wednesday OR Friday and Saturday with an optional 3rd night (Sunday) on request.
The Explorer Camp tents are simplistic yet comfortably equipped with all the modern amenities requiredto add extra ambiance and comfort.
- Big FiveYes
- Camp FencedYes
- Child PolicyNo Children under 16
- Pool1 plunge pool
- Cellphone SignalYes
- Malaria AreaNo
LocationShamwari Private Game Reserve, Eastern Cape
The closest Airport is Port Elizabeth and is about 60 minutes drive
Shamwari was has a landing strip and air transfer from Port Elizabeth to Shamwari can be booked
3 x canvas tents with 2 single beds
Rates & Special Offers
Deals By Date
- All rates are subject to availability.
- Proof of SADC residency may be required at the time of booking or upon check-in at the lodge.
- Surcharges may apply on rates over peak holiday periods and long weekends.
- Rates listed are based on a set 2 night stay: Tuesday & Wednesday OR Friday & Saturday ( optional 3rd night Sunday)
- Rates quoted are only applicable to SA Residents only. Special Discounted rates for International Residents are available on request.
- Arrival is recommended for 12h00 at the Welcome Lounge.
- Shamwari Explorer Camp is sold as a two night walking trail package.
- The Explorer Camp is operational from October to May annually.
- The walking trails are hosted and guided by armed qualified walking guide.
- Distances walked vary each day but can last up to 4 hours.
- A game viewing vehicle remains in camp and will be utilized depending on where guests walk that day, the trail may start from camp or depart camp by vehicle to visit another area of the reserve.
- Participants over the age of 65 years will be required to provide a medical clearance certificate in order to participate.
- Pregnant women are not permitted on walking safaris.
- Rates exclude a guest conservation levy of R 100 per person per night (subject to change). This must be settled at the lodge upon departure.
- There will be a supplement of 30% on the per person sharing rate for single accommodation.
- No persons younger than 16 years will be able to participate.
About Shamwari Explorer Camp
This unique walking experience is an adventurous and authentic option for guests who are looking for a back to basics safari experience. With the Shamwari Private Game Reserve providing the pefect ambience of a tented bush camp this is truly magical setting. The camp is located on a plateau set amongst the only basalt and granite extrusions on Shamwari.
This is a flexible experience for guests wanting to explore Shamwari in a more rustic environment.
This explorer camp reflects the original safari of being on foot and sleeping around the fire at night within the comfort of a bush tent.
Guests can enjoy walks through the magnificent reserve, where an experienced and trained guide will provide guests with knowlegde and experience in birding, cultural history and natural history of the area, along with ample opportunities for some Big 5 encounters.
The camp is discreetly fenced for safety reasons whilst still maintaining a true explorer ambiance. The tents are placed in close proximity without intruding on the other guests privacy. Wild animals are able to cross through the camp at any time and although all safety precautions have been followed, this remains a reality.
Guests can enjoy all culinary feasts around the camp fire or in the dining tent coupled with exquisite silverware.
The Explorer Camp tents are simplistic yet comfortably equipped with all the modern amenities required to add extra ambiance and comfort.
Each tent includes the following:
|2 x Comfortable Single Beds and Bedding|LED Light for night time use|additional amenities such as insect repellent, shower gel & shampoo as well as other essentials
While all safety precautions have been followed when setting up these facilities, guests are still treated to panoramic views of the landscape.
About Shamwari Private Game Reserve
Shamwari, meaning “my friend” in Shona, is the pinnacle of private game reserves and home to the coveted Big 5. Stretching over a vast, malaria free landscape, it offers an award-winning nature experience and is one of the largest private conservation initiatives in Southern Africa.
Shamwari is a place where guests can exist in harmony with nature, however fleeting the moment, where wildlife roam the landscape under the relentless African sun. Shamwari incorporates six lodges and one explorer camp; each one unique in its own essence. Lodges are designed in harmony with their surroundings where guests can experience nature in sublime comfort.
- Follow the N2 out of Port Elizabeth heading towards Grahamstown.
- Continue on the N2 until you reach a sign board for Shamwari Private Game Reserve and turn left towards Paterson on the R342.
- Travel 7 km up the gravel road and enter at the 2nd gate for the Welcome Lounge.