- The Turbine Boutique Hotel & Spa located in Knysna offers each guest luxurious accommodation coupled with exceptional cuisine, stunning panoramas and a range of world-class facilities all adding up to the perfect holiday destination
- This hotel was originally an old power station however it has been transformed into a beautiful boutique hotel with the old machinery playing an integral part of the hotel’s aesthetics.
- The Turbine boasts a superb spa is one of the finest you will find on the Garden Route, offering guests a wide variety of relaxing treatments from massages to facials and a Rhassoul Steam Room.
- Child PolicyAll ages welcome
- Cellphone SignalYes
LocationThesen Island, Knysna, Western Cape (Garden Route)
2.5 hour drive from Port Elizabeth
6 hour drive from Cape Town.
17 x Standard Rooms
6 x Luxury Rooms
1 x Honeymoon Suite
1 x Lagoon Suite
1 x Canal Suite
Rates & Special Offers
Deals By Date
- All rates are subject to availability.
- Proof of SADC residency may be required at the time of booking or upon check-in at the lodge.
- Surcharges may apply on rates over peak holiday periods and long weekends (including the Oyster Festivals).
- Unless otherwise stated, all rates listed are based on a minimum 2 night stay. Surcharges may apply for a 1 night booking.
- Rates quoted are only applicable to South African Residents. Discounted special rates for International Residents.
- Not all rooms have the same view. Rooms with balcony’s are on request only.
- Rates exclude a 1% Tourism Levy, to be paid directly at the hotel.
- Please contact your BushBreaks consultant for single accommodation rates.
- Children policy: child rates for children sharing with their parents are available on request.
- Only 4 Luxury rooms can accommodate 1 child per room between the ages of 2 – 12 years on a three quarter sleeper couch in the room and 1 cot for an infant 0 – 2 years FOC.
- Interleading Family Suites: 3 Family rooms consisting of 1 Luxury room adjoining 1 Standard room.
- 1 Family room consisting of 1 Luxury room adjoining 2 Standard rooms.
- Children of 13 years and older pay the full adult sharing rate if staying in their own room or adjoining rooms.
About The Turbine Boutique Hotel and Spa
As recent as 50 years ago, Knysna’s power was derived from a wood fired turbine, and ironically this power station was and remains a part of arguably the finest location along the garden route. Thesen Island as it is called is home to a collection of up-market homes linked to each other and the Knysna lagoon through a series of water ways. Several years ago, an ambitious project to transform the power station into a boutique hotel began, the result of which is breath-taking in its ‘industrial’ mystique. Given the heritage status of the power station, most of the primary components were left in position and now form an integral part of the theme of the hotel.
The hotel comprises of seventeen standard rooms, six luxury rooms, a honeymoon suite, and two self-contained suites adjacent to the hotel. Each of the rooms provide luxurious amenities such as a flat screen TV, Wi-Fi, a fully-stocked mini bar and a tea and coffee station.
Each of the seventeen standard rooms boast modern essentials. Focusing on natural light each room is designed to accentuate the hotels exquisite positioning, making it easy for each guest to embrace the natural beauty and significance of the hotel.
There are six luxury rooms boasting a bar area as well as a microwave, four of the other luxury rooms have an extra sleeper couch and some have private gardens or balconies. These luxurious rooms provide guests with more space to spread put and indulge in the comfort & style that the Turbine strives for.
The Honeymoon Suite is in a world of its own as it epitomises luxury & romance on the banks of the Thesen Island. With high ceilings, modern yet classic finishes and a magical stand-alone bath tub this is the perfect room for honeymooners.
This sumptuous suite has a balcony overlooking the swimming pool, along with a microwave and ice machine, a lounge suite and a bar area. The luxurious bathroom features a double shower, a stand-alone bath and a bidet
Lagoon Suite & Canal Suite
Situated a short distance from the main hotel is the open plan Lagoon Suite. With sweeping views of the marina, Knysna Heads & spectacular estuary. The secluded Lagoon suite is complete with a luxurious double bed plus a full open-plan kitchen with a microwave, espresso machine, fridge & freezer, dishwasher and washing machine.
The Canal Suite features canal views and the same modern comforts as the hotel, along with an open-plan kitchen complete with microwave, espresso machine, fridge & freezer.
The Island Café
The Island Café at the Turbine Boutique Hotel and Spa is a 90-seater establishment which pverlooks the stunning Thesen Island canals and serves extraordinary dishes from a diverse a la carte menu.
The Gastro Pub
The Gastro Pub is built around the hotel’s fifth turbine, boasting exceptional views with a laid-back setting and a tantalizing, gourmet finger food menu.
Explore Knysna with the Turbine Water Club offering a variety of water sports & activies on land and on the Knysna Lagoon.
*Activites listed below are subject to availability and at an additional charge:
|Lagoon cruises|Bicycle hire|Kayak hire|Full & half Knysna experiences|Town tours|Knysna Seahorse tours
- Lagoon cruises to the Knysna Heads (including sunset cruises)
- Knysna Town cycle tour
- Whale watching (seasonal: July to November)
- Guided canoe trips & kayaking along the canals
- Deep-sea fishing
- Hiking, Biking & Walking Trails
- Spa Treatments
Directions from George Airport
- On exiting George Airport turn right towards the N2 and at the N2 take the left slipway to Knysna.
- Drive along the N2, passing through Wilderness and Sedgefield until you reach the town of Knysna. After entering Knysna turn right at the 3rd set of traffic lights into Waterfront Drive.
- Proceed along Waterfront Drive (railway line on your right), and pass through a set of traffic lights, passing the Waterfront on your right.
- Turn right at the next set of traffic lights into Long Street (note ‘Builders Trade’ on your left and Tait Marine across the road on the right-hand corner)
- Proceed over the railway line and across the causeway and bridge onto THESEN ISLANDS.
- Once on These Islands continue until the roundabout at the end of the road, here take the first exit left.
- Follow the road until you reach the stop street and cross over straight ahead.
- Continue on the road around the Playground and you will find the Turbine Hotel on your right-hand side.