- Located close to Gauteng, on a private 5000 ha (12 000 acre) game reserve in the magnificent, malaria-free Waterberg region of the Limpopo province in South Africa.
- A variety of cottages ranging from standard to superior deluxe, they are scenically appointed and each cottage has been creatively designed to suit all types of travellers from Families to honeymooners and their varying budgets
- Home away from home experience, delicious al-fresco dining, ultimate flexibility and a vast variety of safari activities. Our incredibly hospitable team will welcome you as a guest and we ensure you will leave as a friend!
- Amazing game viewing opportunities available on Night or Day 4WD Land Cruisers, Horseback, Bush Walks and walking safaris, Bug and Spoor Walks for the kids.
- Other safari experiences at Ant’s include mountain biking or an early morning run, archery, night sky safaris, massages, fishing or just relax by our pools.
- Big FiveNo Lion & Elephant
- Off RoadNo
- Camp FencedNo
- Child PolicyChildren of all ages welcome
- SPAMassage Treatments available on Request
- AirconNo - only celining fans
- Cellphone SignalMTN Only
- Malaria AreaNo
LocationWaterberg Region, Limpopo
3 hour self-drive from Johannesburg
Eagles Nest 1 x superior standard – sleeps 2
Lookout 1 x deluxe – sleeps 2/3
Hideaway 1 x superior deluxe – 2 adults, 1 Child (11 and younger only)
Family cottage 1 x deluxe – 5 adults, 2 Children (11 and younger only)
Worldsview 1 x superior deluxe – 5 adults, 1 Child (11 and younger only)
Rates & Special Offers
Deals By Date
- All rates are subject to availability.
- Proof of SADC residency may be required at the time of booking or upon check-in at the lodge.
- Surcharges may apply on rates over peak holiday periods and long weekends.
- Special discounted rates for other accommodation options are available on request.
- Unless otherwise stated, all rates listed are based on a minimum 2 night stay. Surcharges may apply for a 1 night booking.
- Rates quoted above are valid for SADC Residents only. Special discounted rates for International Residents are available on request.
- Rates exclude a Conservation Levy of R 100 per person per night (SADC Residents), payable upon booking and subject to change.
- Horseback Riding policy: NO GUEST WILL BE ALLOWED ON AN ACTIVITY WITHOUT ADEQUATE MEDICAL & TRAVEL INSURANCE.
- Please contact your BushBreaks consultant for a special discounted rate for single accommodation.
- Children of all ages are welcome.
- Various family units are available for families however all deluxe rooms are also large enough for children to share with their parents.
- Cots are available for infants on request.
- Special kids menus available for kids and parents to choose from, alternatively children can also enjoy dinners together as a family.
- There are high chairs available at both bush homes.
- Please contact your BushBreaks consultant for special child rates.
- Special activities can be arranged for the kids whilst their parents are out on other activities such as, bug walks, archery game drives or walks and both bush homes have heated pools, trampolines and toys to keep them entertained. Children of any age can join their parents on activities.
- Children under 5 years of age will only be able to go out on a pony/lead rein in the vicinity of the lodge and not on longer outrides.
About Ants Hill
Ant’s Hill is hosted by a wonderful team who create an open and friendly atmosphere. Built on the edge of a cliff, this bush home offers breath-taking views across the Waterberg. With spacious rooms and vast folding doors, the thatched lodge blends into the bush, while exotic furniture and brightly coloured African fabrics make it both sophisticated and comfortable. Each cottage is uniquely designed and the individual bathrooms are spectacular, offering guests sunken baths and waterfall showers. Set in boulders on the edge of the cliff, the heated swimming pool offers fabulous views across reserve, enticing you to relax there for hours. Ant’s Hill can cater for 16 guests and can be booked non-exclusively or exclusively to one group at a time.
The main lodge boasts a spacious living area and dining room, both with fireplaces. A large veranda and deck overhang the gorge so are ideal for early morning breakfasts and evening sundowners. To top it all Ant’s Hill overlooks a waterhole frequented by a variety of game.
Ant’s Hill has a variety of cottages ranging from standard to superior deluxe, they are scenically appointed and each cottage has been creatively designed to suit all types of travelers from Families to honeymooners and their varying budgets, scroll down for more details on each cottage and take your pick.
A superior deluxe cottage – Built with luxury and privacy in mind, our World’s View cottage is the ultimate bush retreat. It is perfect for families of up to five people or two couples travelling together. The en-suite double bedroom upstairs with bath and shower opens up on to a private balcony with an outside bath overlooking the stunning valley below, where giraffe, zebra, kudu and eland can often be seen wandering.
The spacious bedroom downstairs opens on to the private pool, can be either a twin, double or triple and has an en-suite bathroom featuring a bath with a view, a shower and an outside waterfall shower. There is a covered veranda with comfortable day beds outside for relaxing during the heat of the day, leading to the pool area with sunbeds. On chilly winter evenings one can cosy up next to the open fire in the sitting room with a glass of wine from the mini-bar. Tea and coffee facilities are also available. World’s view is based on a cottage rate up to 4 people, extra beds are available at an additional cost.
A superior deluxe cottage – secluded and private, this luxury cottage is perfect for honeymooners or couples looking for a romantic getaway, but is large enough to accommodate beds for two children, sharing with their parents. The King-size four poster bed has stunning views across the valley with French doors opening up onto the outside deck and verandah. The verandah features a carved day bed for relaxing in the shade, wooden steps take you down to a private garden and plunge pool. For those winter evenings there is a cosy seating area inside with an open fire.
The open plan en-suite bathroom features a sunken bath and French doors which open onto the deck to bring the outside indoors. There is a waterfall shower inside and an outside shower overlooking the valley. The room has a mini bar with tea and coffee making facilities.
A deluxe cottage – Ideal for families of up to six people, this is a home away from home. The spacious en-suite master bedroom features a king-size four poster bed and open plan bathroom including a bath with a view and waterfall shower. The second bedroom, a twin with two four poster beds can be converted into a double giving you a king-size bed, should there be two couples travelling together. This room shares a bathroom with the loft bedroom, nestled under the thatched roof, which is perfect for children. This cottage has a large sitting room, with open fire place and dining area, opening onto a decked balcony with views over the valley. There is a mini bar with tea and coffee making facilities in the lounge area. Family cottage is based on a rate for the whole cottage up to 5 people, extra beds are available at an additional cost.
A deluxe cottage – This stunning cottage is ideal for honeymooners with a king-size four poster bed, as well as day bed that can be used to accommodate a child sharing with their parents. The bedroom features a fireplace to keep you cosy on winter evenings and opens out onto a deck with carved daybed, overlooking the valley and a water hole where animals often come to drink. The open plan en-suite bathroom features a bath with a view, a waterfall shower and an outdoor shower overlooking the valley for that ‘in the bush’ feeling.The room has a mini bar with tea and coffee making facilities on the veranda
Superior Standard room – Located above the main lodge, this delightfully appointed room has some of the best views the lodge has to offer, and it can be booked as either a twin or double room. It has an en-suite bathroom and spacious outside balcony with carved day bed the perfect place to chill out in the heat of the day. There is a mini bar with tea and coffee making facilities. For those with older children, this room is ideal in conjunction with Lookout as another option to family cottage or Worldsview.
About Waterberg Region
Ant’s Nest and Ant’s Hill are situated on their own private game reserve which covers 12500 acres of pristine Waterberg bushveld. The reserve is made out of 12 different ecological zones from open grassy plains to thick montane bush to savannah bushveld.
Since the Waterberg lies on an intercontinental divergence zone we have a wider variety of flora and fauna than elsewhere in Africa. The diverse topography of the reserve also enables us to naturally sustain over 40 species of game including giraffe, white rhino, sable antelope, Roan antelope, buffalo, nyala, gemsbok (Oryx), kudu, Livingstone eland, blue wildebeest (gnu), red hartebeest, zebra, impala, bushbuck, duiker, steenbuck, mountain reedbuck, waterbuck, warthog, blesbuck, baboons, bushpig, klipspringer, leopard, jackal, brown hyena, caracal, civet and genet to name but a few. For those of you who are passionate about birds, there are well over 300 species of resident and migrant birds. Guests are always welcome to join in on any management activities on the reserves such as game capture and relocation, treating injured animals, burning firebreaks, game census on horseback etc.
Sable antelope are today one of the most conservation dependant specie in South Africa and rarely seen in any National park. We started with a small core herd in 2001 and today have a successful, well established and viable breeding herd.
From horse riding and mountain biking to game drives and guided walks, we have a variety of activities, at Ants, that will appeal to the intimate couple to families alike.
Ant’s has got to be one of the most child friendly safari lodges found in Africa, we will give your children and family a life-changing experience from grandparents right down to babies. Our unique policy is to allow children of all ages to join their parents on all game viewing activities, so you can witness their first encounters with wildlife. At Ant’s – family safaris are our speciality, we have an abundance of exciting and thrilling safari activities to offer kids of all ages, allowing them to leave with an intimate knowledge of the bush.
What makes them different?|We have an exceptional variety of family friendly activities available on offer these include:|Game drives|Guided walks / walking safaris|Led pony rides for beginners or under 4|Bug and spoor walks / learn to become a ranger|Horse riding lessons|Fishing|Horse riding safaris / full day rides|Snake and reptile talks / handling|Swimming with the horses|Mountain biking|Archery|Rhino tracking|Big 5 game drives (This activity is not on our reserve and can be booked at an additional cost. Please note it is subject to availability)|Night sky safaris|Visit to our local children’s home
Both lodges are small and intimate which allows us to offer you maximum flexibility, there are no fixed times and we will tailor your day according to your needs. Children are welcome to join their parents for dinner. Alternatively, special suppers or meal times can be arranged. As a family you can also book private dinners. Although your children can join you on all activities, however should you, wish to leave them at the lodge and enjoy a more challenging walk or ride, we can offer full child minding. We have a selection of wonderful ponies catering to both the novice and experienced child rider. Beginners will be led by a competent guide and riding lessons are also available. Under 4 year old children will be led on a pony in and around the lodge area as they are still too young to be taken out on long outrides. Both lodges have various facilities ideal for kids, such as the heated swimming pool which is heated all year round, a trampoline, a badminton & volley ball court as well as a selection of toys and books. Due to our relaxed and informal atmosphere, Ant’s Nest and Ant’s Hill are ideal for families with kids of all ages.
- Family Safaris
- Horse Riding & Riding Safari
- Guided Walks & Walking Safaries
- Day & Night Game Drives
- Mountain Biking
- Bush Running
- Night Sky Safari
- Snake and Reptile Talks
DIRECTIONS FROM OR TAMBO INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT, JOHANNESBURG
- Take R21 to Pretoria.
- After about 15 -20 minutes you will see an off ramp that says Pretoria East / Pietersburg( now called Polokwane) N1, take this off ramp and continue on the N1 north.
- Once on the R33 towards Ellisras/Lephalale travel for approximately 18-19 km until you see a sign hanging on two tree trunks marked Ant’s Hill, by a green automated gate on your right hand side. Turn right at this gate.
- (DO NOT FOLLOW THE SIGN TO ANT’S NEST, WHICH YOU WILL SEE BEFORE GETTING TO THE ANT’S HILL SIGN) ANT’S NEST & ANT’S HILL HAVE SEPARATE ENTRANCES ONTO THE RESERVE.
- Please call either of the numbers provided on the green signboard near the gate keypad. State who you are and we shall open for you. You can also send a text to the numbers provided.
- Go straight on the gravel road until you see a thatched entrance, which is marked Ant’s Hill. You may open this gate by sliding the metal bar to the left and opening the right hand side door by ensuring the pin is not in the ground and pushing it open. Do the same for the left hand side gate.
- Please note, these gates are on weights and you will need to ensure the pin is in the ground to keep them open. Please close this gate behind you.
- You are now in the reserve, please follow the signs to the lodge which is about 3-4 kms from the entrance.