- Lying in a natural amphitheater the original homestead, with its wide verandahs, has a classic, relaxed, African atmosphere.
- A wide variety of game frequents the waterhole in front of the bush home bringing game viewing to your door step
- The team at Ant’s Nest are exceptionally hospitable and will go above and beyond to exceed your expectations to ensure your stay is a memorable and life changing experience.
- Big FiveNo Lion & Elephant
- Off RoadNo
- Camp FencedNo
- Child PolicyChildren of all ages welcome
- SPAMassage Treatments
- AirconCeiling fans
- Cellphone SignalMTN only
- Malaria AreaNo
LocationWaterberg Region, Limpopo
3 hours north of OR Tambo International Airport
Davidson Double 1 x standard – sleeps 2
Davidson Twin 1 x standard – sleeps 2
Rondavel 1 x superior standard – sleeps 3
Weaver 1 x deluxe – sleeps 2/3
Sable Suite 1 x deluxe – sleeps 5
Rates & Special Offers
Deals By Date
- All rates are subject to availability.
- Proof of SADC residency may be required at the time of booking or upon check-in at the lodge.
- Surcharges may apply on rates over peak holiday periods and long weekends.
- Special discounted rates for other accommodation options are available on request.
- Unless otherwise stated, all rates listed are based on a minimum 2 night stay. Surcharges may apply for a 1 night booking.
- Rates quoted above are valid for SADC Residents only. Special discounted rates for International Residents are available on request.
- Rates exclude a Conservation Levy of R 100 per person per night (SADC Residents), payable upon booking and subject to change.
- Horseback Riding policy: NO GUEST WILL BE ALLOWED ON AN ACTIVITY WITHOUT ADEQUATE MEDICAL & TRAVEL INSURANCE.
- Please contact your BushBreaks consultant for a special discounted rate for single accommodation.
- Children of all ages are welcome.
- Various family units are available for families however all deluxe rooms are also large enough for children to share with their parents.
- Cots are available for infants on request.
- Special kids menus available for kids and parents to choose from, alternatively children can also enjoy dinners together as a family.
- There are high chairs available at both bush homes.
- Please contact your BushBreaks consultant for special child rates.
- Special activities can be arranged for the kids whilst their parents are out on other activities such as, bug walks, archery game drives or walks and both bush homes have heated pools, trampolines and toys to keep them entertained. Children of any age can join their parents on activities.
- Children under 5 years of age will only be able to go out on a pony/lead rein in the vicinity of the lodge and not on longer outrides.
About Ants Nest
Ant’s Nest is where it all began. Lying in a natural amphitheatre the original homestead, with its wide verandahs, has a classic, relaxed, African atmosphere. A wide variety of game frequents the waterhole in front of the bush home where horses and dogs abound. Tessa, who grew up in Kenya, brought a stylish warmth to the colonial house using classic furniture fashioned from local fabrics, timber and stone. The six luxurious en-suite bedrooms accommodate a maximum of twelve guests. There is a 15 metre swimming pool in the garden, ideal for those needing some exercise or for purely cooling off after an active day. This is great for kids as it’s heated all year. Extensive lawns with indigenous plants surround the pool and there is a wonderful thatched chill-out spot with vast sofa beds where you can relax during the heat of the day.
The Main Lodges’ six classic en-suite bedrooms accommodate a maximum of twelve guests. There is a 15 meter swimming pool in the garden, ideal for those needing some exercise or for purely cooling off after an active day and this is great for kids as its heated all year. Extensive lawns with indigenous plants surround the pool and there is a wonderful thatched chill-out spot with vast sofa beds where you can relax during the heat of the day.
Like Ant’s Hill, Ant’s Nest features different room types from standard to deluxe, rooms can be booked individually, however, should you be looking for a very private stay, Ant’s Nest can be booked exclusively, ideal for multi-generational family bookings, friends traveling together or for specialised interest groups / special occasions. Scroll down to view our different rooms and take your pick to suit your needs and budget.
A deluxe family suite – Upstairs in the main house is a very spacious luxury suite, perfect for families. The master bedroom features a king-size four poster bed with incredible views overlooking the gardens and bush beyond. This leads through to an exceptionally large bathroom and dressing area with bath and shower. Located beside this is an en-suite twin (which can be converted to a double), ideal for two children travelling with their parents. An additional ¾ four poster bed is located just outside this bedroom, for a third child. There is a spacious sitting room with comfortable sofas and a fireplace, alongside a dining area and full bar with tea and coffee making facilities. This opens up on to a very comfortable private verandah with shady seating area.
A deluxe Suite – This is without a doubt our largest double room and private verandah that we have, with its expansive views across the valley, this room has a king-size four poster bed as well as a large four poster day bed and still lots more room for an extra bed should you have kids sharing. The en-suite bathroom has a bath and separate shower. The verandah overlooking the bush is perfect for relaxing in the heat of the day and is ideal for private dinners. A perfect suite for honeymooners or families traveling with small kids. There is also a mini bar with tea and coffee making facilities.
Superior Standard room – This is a charming double room, built in the traditionally African circular form with high thatched roof, set to the side of the main house. The outside verandah offers a private seating area with chill out day bed, leading into the bedroom with rustic four poster bed, perfect for couples wanting to enjoy a romantic escape. The room also contains a four poster day bed, suitable for a child sharing with parents. Leading off the bedroom is an en-suite bathroom with bath, shower and an outside shower. There is also a mini bar with tea and coffee making facilities
Standard Rooms – these are two comfortable bedrooms located downstairs in the original homestead. The double room has a four poster bed and en-suite bathroom, with doors opening up onto a private verandah area with outside seating. Located just next door is a twin room (which can be converted to a double), also with en-suite bathroom and doors opening out to the verandah. These rooms can be booked individually or booked by a family as the rooms are adjacent to one another for those on a budget. These rooms are connected by a passage to a cosy sitting room with an open fireplace, perfect for relaxing on those chilly evenings, and an indoor dining and bar area.
About Waterberg Region
Ant’s Nest and Ant’s Hill are situated on their own private game reserve which covers 12500 acres of pristine Waterberg bushveld. The reserve is made out of 12 different ecological zones from open grassy plains to thick montane bush to savannah bushveld.
Since the Waterberg lies on an intercontinental divergence zone we have a wider variety of flora and fauna than elsewhere in Africa. The diverse topography of the reserve also enables us to naturally sustain over 40 species of game including giraffe, white rhino, sable antelope, Roan antelope, buffalo, nyala, gemsbok (Oryx), kudu, Livingstone eland, blue wildebeest (gnu), red hartebeest, zebra, impala, bushbuck, duiker, steenbuck, mountain reedbuck, waterbuck, warthog, blesbuck, baboons, bushpig, klipspringer, leopard, jackal, brown hyena, caracal, civet and genet to name but a few. For those of you who are passionate about birds, there are well over 300 species of resident and migrant birds. Guests are always welcome to join in on any management activities on the reserves such as game capture and relocation, treating injured animals, burning firebreaks, game census on horseback etc.
Sable antelope are today one of the most conservation dependant specie in South Africa and rarely seen in any National park. We started with a small core herd in 2001 and today have a successful, well established and viable breeding herd.
From horse riding and mountain biking to game drives and guided walks, we have a variety of activities, at Ants, that will appeal to the intimate couple to families alike.
Ant’s has got to be one of the most child friendly safari lodges found in Africa, we will give your children and family a life-changing experience from grandparents right down to babies. Our unique policy is to allow children of all ages to join their parents on all game viewing activities, so you can witness their first encounters with wildlife. At Ant’s – family safaris are our speciality, we have an abundance of exciting and thrilling safari activities to offer kids of all ages, allowing them to leave with an intimate knowledge of the bush.
What makes them different?
We have an exceptional variety of family friendly activities available on offer these include:|Game drives|Guided walks / walking safaris|Led pony rides for beginners or under 4|Bug and spoor walks / learn to become a ranger|Horse riding lessons|Fishing|Horse riding safaris / full day rides|Snake and reptile talks / handling|Swimming with the horses|Mountain biking|Archery|Rhino tracking|Big 5 game drives (This activity is not on our reserve and can be booked at an additional cost. Please note it is subject to availability)|Night sky safaris|Visit to our local children’s home
Both lodges are small and intimate which allows us to offer you maximum flexibility, there are no fixed times and we will tailor your day according to your needs. Children are welcome to join their parents for dinner. Alternatively, special suppers or meal times can be arranged. As a family you can also book private dinners. Although your children can join you on all activities, however should you, wish to leave them at the lodge and enjoy a more challenging walk or ride, we can offer full child minding. We have a selection of wonderful ponies catering to both the novice and experienced child rider. Beginners will be led by a competent guide and riding lessons are also available. Under 4 year old children will be led on a pony in and around the lodge area as they are still too young to be taken out on long outrides. Both lodges have various facilities ideal for kids, such as the heated swimming pool which is heated all year round, a trampoline, a badminton & volley ball court as well as a selection of toys and books. Due to our relaxed and informal atmosphere, Ant’s Nest and Ant’s Hill are ideal for families with kids of all ages.
- Family Safaries
- Horse Riding & Riding Safari
- Guided Walks & Walking Safaries
- Day & Night Game Drives
- Mountain Biking
- Bush Running
- Night Sky Safari
- Snake and Reptile Talks
FROM OR TAMBO INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT, JOHANNESBURG
- Take R21 to Pretoria.
- After about 15 -20 minutes you will see an off ramp that says Pretoria East / Pietersburg( now called Polokwane) N1, take this off ramp and continue on the N1 north.
- Once on the R33 follow this road for 11kms – take right hand turn down the road which says to Dorset. This is a gravel road. (There is a sign posted Ant’s Nest)
- Follow this for 10.5 kms on the left you will see a sign for Ant’s Nest, there is a thatched entrance
- Open the gate and follow the road for about 3kms down into the valley and to the lodge. There are signs indicating lodge.
- Please note that there is a very steep pass down into the valley, but a normal saloon car will make it down fine if you take it slowly in 1st gear.