- Bakubung Bush Lodge is only a 2 hour drive from Johannesburg, bordering Sun City.
- Tucked in a big five game reserve, the malaria-free Pilanesberg National Park, Bakubung, meaning “People of the Hippo”, provides luxury service and the peace and tranquility of a true bush experience.
- Children aged 12 years and younger are accommodated free of charge when sharing with one or two adults. (maximum two children per room)
- Excellent Buffet style food at the Marula Restaurant.
- Facilities at the lodge include Legacy Balance Spa, Two tennis courts, Swimming pool, Volleyball and kids playground, Table tennis and darts, Board games, Game drives, Bush Walks, Cocktail Bar & Gym
- Big FiveYes
- Off RoadNo
- Camp FencedYes
- Child PolicyFamily Friendly Bush Lodge - Children of all ages welcome
- PoolYes - at the main area only
- SPAFull Spa
- Cellphone SignalYes
- Malaria AreaNo
LocationPilanesberg National Park, North West
2 hour drive from Johannesburg.
10 minutes drive from Sun City.
55 x Standard Twin Rooms (2 double beds)
20 x Standard King Rooms (1 king size bed)
11 x Standard Queen Rooms (two queen size beds)
9 x Luxury King Rooms (1 king size bed)
4 x Executive Suites (2 with open bath + 2 with enclosed bath)
1 x Wheelchair Accessible Studio Room (2 double beds)
Rates & Special Offers
Deals By Date
PLEASE NOTE: SPECIAL OFFER RATES ABOVE APPLY TO SA RESIDENTS ONLY, BOOKABLE ON REQUEST & SUBJECT TO AVAILABILITY.
BEST AVAILABLE RATES WILL APPLY DURING SPECIAL TOWN EVENTS, PEAK PERIODS, PUBLIC HOLIDAYS & LONG WEEKENDS.
- All rates are subject to availability.
- Proof of SA residency may be required at the time of booking or upon check-in at the lodge.
- Surcharges may apply on rates over peak holiday periods and long weekends, public holidays & Nedbank Golf Challenge.
- Unless otherwise stated, all rates listed are strictly based on a minimum 2 night stay. Surcharges may apply for a 1 night booking.
- Rates quoted are only applicable to South African Residents. Special discounted rates for International Residents are available on request.
- Additional game drives are charged at R 585 per adult & R 290 per child (0 – 17 years), subject to change.
- Single rates are available on request. Please contact your BushBreaks consultant for a quote.
- Children of all ages are welcome.
- Children can only be accommodated in a Standard room if sharing with 1 or 2 adults.
- SA Residents Dinner Bed and Breakfast rate:
- Children aged 12 years and younger (maximum 2 children per room) will be accommodated free of charge on a dinner, bed and breakfast basis including 1 game drive, if sharing with 1 or 2 adults. A park entrance fee of R 40 will apply to children 12 years and younger per game drive – (to be prepaid & will be added at the time of invoicing)
- Children aged 13 – 17 years will be accommodated free of charge on a room only basis and will be charged R650.00 per child per day for breakfast, dinner and 1 game drive, if sharing with 1 or 2 adults.
- Children of all ages will be accommodated on game drives only under the supervision of their parents/guardians.
- Children’s Activity Program – Junior Rangers:
- Legacy Junior Rangers Program is available for all children aged 6 – 12 years. Activities are geared around natural resource protection, environmental education and responsible recreation, offering a special opportunity to explore the Pilanesberg National Park. The Junior Rangers Program is available at a small additional cost to parents and usually takes 2 days to complete. On completion of the program, children will be included in a graduation ceremony and will be given a certificate and badges for activities completed.
About Bakubung Bush Lodge
Bakubung Bush Lodge offers guests luxury hotel style accommodation and superb wildlife encounters in the heart of the North West Province. Situated in the malaria-free Pilansberg Game Reserve, the lodge provides the perfect base for exploring the rich diversity of the indigenous plant and animal life of the area. It’s home to the famous “Big Five” as well as an array of other mammals and birds. Located close to magical Sun City and roughly a two hour drive from Johannesburg, Bakubung is the obvious choice for those seeking an exciting and authentic African bush experience, a mere few hours from Johannesburg. Each of the rooms have beautifully decorated interiors and doors that open onto either a patio or balcony. Panoramic views of the Hippo Pool and the whole park await guests who get to revel in the beauty of the exquisite surrounds from above.
Delicious cuisine is also something on which Bakubung prides itself. The Bakubung Restaurant serves three scrumptious meals a day and for something different, offers guests the opportunity to enjoy an authentic bush braai twice a week. Game drives are available twice a day and from the safety of your open-air vehicle, you can witness the incredible wildlife that roams the plains. Bakubung is a great way to get in touch with the bush and families looking to experience a family trip with a difference should look no further. It’s the ideal combination of luxury, comfort and the magic found only in the African wilds.
- Air conditioning
- En-suite bathroom
- Tea & coffee making facilities
- Internet access
- Plug for electric shaver
About Pilanesberg National Park
Next door to the famous leisure and entertainment resort of Sun City, is the Pilanesberg National Park. It may not be very large (550km²) compared to Kruger or some of the other great African parks, but it has a real wilderness feel to it and most of the big animals you could wish to see. It lies amongst the only significant hills in the area which rise skywards out of the flat highveld plain. This massif is a 1,200 million-year-old volcanic relic of four concentric mountain rings.
The Pilanesberg is the highest peak towering 600 metres above Mankwe Lake, which sits in the heart of the ancient volcano. The volcano’s circular bowl was recognised as being the perfect situation for a national park with its tall sides creating natural boundaries. The area was farmed until 1979 until Operation Genesis was launched to rehabilitate the land and stock it with game. This was one of the most imaginative game-stocking enterprises ever undertaken and the Pilanesberg became a great success story. There are currently around 10,000 head of game and it is a very popular game park for locals and overseas visitors alike – many of whom make the short trip from the nearby resort of Sun City. Animals and birds.
This park is home to good populations of a whole range of Africa’s game, including the ‘Big Five’; elephants, black and white rhinoceros, buffaloes, lions and leopards and you will also see giraffes, zebras, hippos and a wide variety of antelopes including the very attractive sable, eland, kudu and gemsbok. There are also cheetahs and hyenas and jackal. Birdlife is good with over 300 species and bird lovers will be interested in the huge stroll-through aviary at the Manyane gate. Also in this area is a ‘vulture restaurant’ – created to help save the shy and endangered Cape vulture from regional extinction.
- Tennis courts
- Bush walks
- Game drives
- Swimming Pool
Travel north along William Nicol Drive to the Fourways intersection with Witkoppen Road
Turn left into Witkoppen Road towards Lanseria/Roodepoort.
Turn right at the intersection with Hans Strijdom Extension on the road towards Broederstroom and Lanseria
Cross over the Muldersdrift/Diepsloot Road and continue with the R512 towards Broederstroom and Lanseria
Cross the bridge over the R28 Krugersdorp/Pretoria highway, pass the Lanseria turnoff and continue straight ahead
At the T-junction turn left on the R512 to Magaliesberg
Continue on this road until you see the Sun City signboard on your left. Turn right on the R512 to Brits and cross the bridge over Hartebeespoort Dam
At the T-junction turn right on the R512 to Brits. Follow directional signs
Continue to the four-way stop and turn left on the R512/27 for Brits/Rustenburg
Pass the first Brits turnoff. At the signpost R27 Rustenburg/Brits turn right
On the bridge turn left towards Rustenburg
Continue till you get to the slipway to the left. Take the slipway and continue on the new N4 highway
A signboard on the left side of the road indicates Pilanesberg to the left on route 91. Exit left off the highway. At the T-junction turn right and continue on this road to Sun City
Once reaching Sun City, go straight past the Zenex garage on your right, after 4km you will see a sign indicating you to turn right to Bakubung, follow the road and it will lead you to the Bakubung GateDirections from Centurion / Pretoria:
Take the N1 north towards Polokwane
Take the N4 Rustenberg split (tollroad)
Follow the road straight, a signboard on the left side of the road indicates Pilanesberg to the left on route 91. Exit left off the highway. At the T-junction turn right and continue on this road to Sun City
Once reaching Sun City, go straight past the Zenex garage on your right, after 4km you will see a sign indicating you to turn right to Bakubung, follow the road and it will lead you to the Bakubung GateDirections from OR Tambo International Airport:
When leaving OR Tambo International Airport, take the route marked Pretoria (R21) – stay on this road
Follow this dual carriage highway- look out for the Pietersburg/Polokwane (N1) off ramp and follow it
Stay on this road which goes round the east of Pretoria
Pass the Witbank/Pretoria East turnoff
Take the N4 toll road (Bakwena Platinum HIghway) to Rustenburg- take the Sun City off ramp (R556) and follow the road (over two four way stops ) – watch out for speed traps until you come to Sun City
Pass Sun City (on the right) and more or less 4 kms further is a sign to Bakubung Gate
Turn right and follow the road through the village. Enter Bakubung Gate