- An ecological oasis nestled in the foothills of the Cederberg Mountains, is a magical wilderness experience among open plains, sandstone formations and ancient bush art sites dating back 10,000 years.
- Bushmans Kloof is custodian of over 130 ancient Bushman rock art sites in the reserve.
- Located in the Cape Floral Kingdom one of the South African UNESCO World Heritage Sites.
- Bushmans Kloof offers a range of beautifully proportioned rooms, suites and a private villa. Award-winning service, generous hospitality and luxurious finishes, such as our outstanding private art collection, enhance the extraordinary environment of the Bushmans Kloof lodge.
- Big FiveNo
- Off RoadYes
- Camp FencedNo
- Child PolicyNo children under 8 years at main lodge.
- Pool4 Swimming Pools - Heated Main lodge pool, Private Pool at Supreme Suite
- SPAFull Spa
- Cellphone SignalNo
- Malaria AreaNo
LocationCederberg Mountains, Western Cape
3 hour drive from Cape Town. Private road transfer or chartered flights direct to lodge.
7 Luxury Rooms
6 Deluxe Rooms
1 Niven Family Deluxe Room
1 Riverside Supreme suite
1 Private Villa (Koro Lodge)
1 Cederberg House
Rates & Special Offers
Deals By Date
- All rates are subject to availability.
- Proof of SA residency may be required at the time of booking or upon check-in at the lodge.
- Surcharges and a minimum 3 night stay may apply on rates over peak holiday periods and long weekends.
- Special discounted rates for International guests are available on request.
- Unless otherwise stated, all rates listed are based on a minimum 2 night stay. Surcharges will apply for a 1 night booking.
- Rates quoted are only applicable to South African Residents. Special discounted rates for International Residents are available on request.
- The single supplement varies on each room type. Please request a single room rate from your BushBreaks consultant.
- No children under 8 years at the Main Lodge.
- Children 8 years and older are welcome at a surcharge when sharing with 2 full paying adults. Child rates are available on request.
- Koro Lodge accommodates children of all ages.
About Bushmans Kloof Main Lodge
Located 270km from Cape Town and nestled at the foothills of the majestic Cederberg Mountain range, Bushmans Kloof Wilderness Reserve and Wellness Retreat is truly an ecological oasis. Endless plains and stunning sandstone formations greet guests as they embark on an unforgettable wilderness experience. The 7500 hectare reserve is a South African Natural Heritage Site that not only provides a sanctuary for a range of endangered species, but also boasts over 130 Bushmen rock art sites. Between the months of July and October, the muted veld is transformed through an explosion of colour, courtesy of the abundant spring flowers that bloom at that time of the year. Over 755 species of indigenous fynbos can also be found in the area, adding to the richness of the vast landscape.
The lodge offers guests 16 luxurious rooms and suites, complete with modern amenities and beautiful finishes. Koro Lodge is a self-catering villa located near to the main lodge that can sleep large groups of up to ten people – it’s the perfect combination of luxury and wilderness wonder. The elegance of the suites complements the ruggedness of the surroundings perfectly, whilst the on-site spa treatments provide rejuvenation for the mind, body and soul. Immerse yourself in the splendour of the African lands as you experience an unforgettable sunset game drive or a nature walk that will bring you closer to nature than ever before. The area also provides excellent opportunities for mountain biking, hiking and canoeing.
Luxury Rooms all have private patios and en suite bathrooms. There is convenient access to one of the four crystalline swimming pools at the lodge. Luxury rooms overlook landscaped gardens, and the breathtaking beauty of the untamed yonder.
Our Deluxe Rooms are all exquisitely and individually designed with expansive views and convenient access to one of the four superb, crystalline pools at the lodge. All include relaxing lounge areas for an indulgent and luxurious experience in this unparalleled location. Satellite TV, DVDs and an iPod docking station ensure guests have all the mod cons necessary. Some Deluxe Rooms include a cosy fireplace for wintry evenings. Please see the Niven Family Deluxe Room for larger groups or families.
Niven Family Deluxe Room
This is an ideal choice for families and sharing groups. Splendid luxury, an extraordinary location and, of course convenience, makes for an unforgettable family experience. The suite includes a master bedroom with king-size bed, a secondary room (easily converted into twin or double), two en-suite bathrooms and a gorgeous private terrace.
The Paterson Suite is located in the original Manor House, a lovingly restored farmhouse dating back to 1843. Warm your toes by the fire, or gaze out at breathtaking terrace views of the river and mountains. The suite features a king-size bed, separate lounge area, large private patio and an en suite, designer bathroom and heated towel rails.
Riverside Supreme Suite
The Riverside Supreme Suite is a magical and secluded haven on the banks of the babbling Boontjies River. It encompasses all that is unique and special about Bushmans Kloof, embracing the timeless beauty of the heart of the Cederberg. This intimate and elegant suite features a separate lounge with a welcoming fireplace, large terrace, outdoor shower and its own heated swimming pool. Ideal for a romantic escape, a special occasion or to simply enjoy the pampering and peace of this gentle retreat. The suite is surrounded by the breathtaking natural beauty of wind-sculpted, jagged rock formations, crystal rock pools, and lush green lawns. The contemporary-classical interior is simultaneously luxurious and fresh, enhanced by refined earth tones and offset with wood and stone finishes. ge area, large private patio and an en suite, designer bathroom and heated towel rails.
Koro Lodge – A private villa
Koro Lodge was an existing farmhouse on the property, and has been transformed into an intimate, child-friendly, private villa for a family breakaway unlike any other. The lodge is fully inclusive and entirely independent, utilising its own chef and guide. Our passionate staff will help to create a fun-filled activity holiday, so that you and your children can explore the natural abundance of the reserve, enjoy fantastic recreational pursuits and soak in the magic of this ancient landscape. The interior of the lodge has an air of comfort and luxury created through natural fibres, earth tones and traditional South African finishes. It’s an inviting and relaxing space on the edge of an untamed wilderness. Enjoy music, play games, watch wildlife documentaries and let yourself be pampered amongst family and friends, in the peace of this glorious setting.
- The Mountain Trail
- The Ravine Trail
- Crystal pools hiking trail
- Nature hike
- Mountain biking
- Fly fishing
Directions from Cape Town to Bushmans Kloof Wilderness Reserve
- Depart Cape Town via the N1.
- Before Century City/Ratanga Junction, take the N7 off-ramp towards Malmesbury.
- Continue past Malmesbury, towards Moorreesburg, Piketberg and Citrusdal to enter the Olifants River Valley (route takes approximately two hours) We recommend that you stop at Kardoesie (Farm Style Restaurant) for a light lunch just outside of Citrusdal on your right hand side.
- Pass the Clanwilliam dam (located on the right hand side of the road) and turn right onto the R364 to Lamberts Bay/Clanwilliam.
- At the T-junction, turn right to Clanwilliam.
- When entering the town, a petrol station is located on the left hand side of the road NB: Fill up if petrol is required and please call the lodge as there is no mobile reception after this point. This will enable the lodge to anticipate your time of arrival.
- From Clanwilliam to the lodge gate is approximately 40km. Continue straight on the R364 towards Wupperthal and Calvinia and cross a bridge – follow this tarred road for approximately 25km, past ‘Louis Leipoldt’s Grave’ and over the Pakhuis Pass.
- Cross a low bridge over the Brandewyns River.
- Continue past a sign on the left hand side to ‘Traveller’s Rest’.
- After travelling for 800m, the Bushmans Kloof gate will be on your right hand side.
- Turn right at the Bushmans Kloof gate (recommended speed in the reserve – 40km per hour).
- Continue straight, crossing a small bridge below the dam wall and follow the signs to the lodge.
- Continue towards the lodge and on arrival please park your car next to the big Blue Gum trees and the building marked ‘Reception’.
Air transfers are available from Cape Town to the lodge in either a fixed wing aircraft or a helicopter.
Private airstrip: 1200m gravel service – complimentary 20 minute transfer to the lodge.
Approximately 60 minutes’ flying time from Cape Town International Airport.
Distance 117.6 NM