- Clifftop Logde layout and setting is unique with outstanding views
- An elegant safari experience just three hours from Johannesburg
- Personalised service by friendly well-trained staff
- Excellent cuisine
- Wine Cellar for private dining
- Malaria free area
- Private decks boasting a sparkling plunge pool
- Small and exclusive with a unique style created by designer Laurie Owen of Laurie Owen Interiors, Clifftop Exclusive Safari Hideaway was named Best Hotel Interior at the African Hotel Awards in 2011.
- Big FiveYes
- Off RoadNo
- Camp FencedYes
- Child PolicyNo children under 13 years
- PoolYes - Main Lodge Pool & Private Plunge Pools
- Cellphone SignalNo
- Malaria AreaNo
- WI-FI FriendlyMain Lodge area only
LocationWelgevonden Game Reserve, Waterberg
3 hour self-drive from Johannesburg
Privat charter flights from OR Tambo International Airport or Lanseria Airport to the reserve landing strip
The lodge has two helicopter landing pads
8 x Luxury Suites
Rates & Special Offers
Deals By Date
PLEASE NOTE: SPECIAL RATES LISTED ABOVE ARE APPLICABLE TO SA/SADC RESIDENTS.
- All rates are subject to availability.
- Proof of SA/SADC residency may be required at the time of booking or upon check-in at the lodge.
- Surcharges and a minimum 2 – 3 night stay may apply on rates over peak holiday periods and long weekends.
- Unless otherwise stated, all rates listed are based on a minimum 2 night stay. Surcharges may apply for a 1 night booking.
- Rates quoted above are only valid for SA Residents. Special Discounted Rates for International Residents are available on request.
- Welgevonden Park Fee payable directly to the Lodge: R 166 per person per night, subject to change.
- Guests are to call Clifftop Exclusive Safari Hideaway as they drive through Vaalwater to ensure that a lodge safari vehicle is dispatched and awaiting your arrival at Welgevonden East Gate for a 15 minute safari vehicle transfer to the lodge.
- Please request rates for singe accommodation from your BushBreaks Travel Consultant.
- Children under the age of 13 years are not permitted at the lodge.
- Children 13 years and older are considered as adults. They will be accommodated in their own room and pay the full adult rates.
About Clifftop Exclusive Safari Hideaway
Perched regally amidst the bushwillows on the tip of a magnificent gorge overlooking the Sterkstroom River, Clifftop Exclusive Safari Hideaway is just that; a romantic, secluded hideaway from the world’s worries, an intimate encounter with the beauty of the ruggedly scenic Welgevonden Game Reserve. Sip a soothing G&T as you relax in your very own plunge pool overlooking the gorge, or disappear into the depths of a comfortable wicker chair to watch the glorious scenery and varied wildlife. Clifftop is a serene sanctuary amidst spectacular scenery; a wildlife retreat of extraordinary beauty and home to a myriad of animal and bird species that call the rocky ravines and rolling wooded mountains of this stunning private reserve home. Your precious privacy is interrupted only by the sound of the bushveld from your elevated suite deck and the sound of the roaring river a hundred metres below. Relax on your private deck enjoying the cool breeze or sip a full-bodied red wine in front of one of the lodge’s cosy fires.
ABOUT THE ACCOMMODATION
Accommodation comprises 8 stunning air-conditioned suites decorated in Clifftop’s signature silver, grey and white tones, with natural fixtures and materials incorporated throughout including large pebble and tree trunk tables and towel racks made of distressed branches.
- Tea and coffee making facilities
- A fully stocked mini bar
- Large bathroom with a bath
- Indoor and outdoor shower
- A full range of bathroom amenities
About Welgevonden Game Reserve
The Welgevonden Game Reserve, located just three hours’ north of Johannesburg in the Limpopo Province’s Waterberg plateau, is one of the most ruggedly scenic reserves in South Africa, characterised by rolling hills, rugged gorges and grassy plains.
Aptly meaning ‘well found’, the Welgevonden is unlike anywhere else on earth, a true wilderness area with excellent game viewing and stunning scenery. Enjoy this mountain bushveld environment with roaring rivers and sweeping horizon views. The reserve is located at high altitude, enjoys a mild climate and is Malaria free making it worth a visit any time of the year.
As a result of the reserve’s diverse landscapes, visitors can enjoy Big Five sightings, in addition to encounters with over 50 mammal species, 250 bird species and some of the bush’s most beautiful wild flowers that make their appearance in early spring.
The Welgevonden also boasts one of Africa’s largest populations of white rhino on a private reserve, with such unusual species as brown hyena, aardwolf and aardvark also located within the reserve. The reserve has never been a hunting area and as such game viewing is up and close and personal. In addition to great game viewing, there is also ancient San Rock Art.
This is Africa at its most interesting and at its best.
- Bird watching
- 4×4 open vehicle safaris with experienced field guides
- Massage treatments in the privacy of your suite
- Take the N1 north out of Johannesburg/Pretoria. Just over 120km after Pretoria find the Kranskop Toll Plaza. Take the R33 off-ramp at the toll plaza (keep in the left-hand lane) to Modimolle / Nylstroom.
- Drive straight through Modimolle/Nylstroom on the R33 towards Vaalwater. Drive straight through Vaalwater on the R510 towards Thabazimbi.
- To go to Welgevonden East Gate: Follow the R510 for 13 km after leaving Vaalwater, turn left on the little dirt road (look out for sign “Welgevonden East Gate”), follow it for 11km.
- Contact Clifftop Exclusive Safari Hideaway as you drive through Vaalwater to ensure that a lodge safari vehicle is dispatched and awaiting your arrival at Welgevonden East Gate for a 15-minute safari vehicle transfer to the lodge.