- Elephant Plains Game Lodge is situated in the northern part of the world famous Sabi Sand Game Reserve, which forms part of the Greater Kruger National Park.
- An affordable african safari experience & great value for money.
- The lodge is owner run – this ensures personal service and attention to detail.
- Big FiveYes
- Off RoadYes
- Camp FencedYes
- Child PolicyChildren aged 3 years and older are permitted
- PoolYes - at the main area only
- Cellphone SignalYes
- Malaria AreaYes (Low Risk Area)
LocationSabi Sand Game Reserve
5 hour drive from Johannesburg
Daily scheduled flights to Hoedspruit or Nelspruit. Road Transfers from Hoedspruit or Nelspruit. Chartered flights from Johannesburg, Hoedspruit or Nelspruit.
5 x Rondavels
6 x Luxury Suites
1 x Luxury Family Suite
1 x Honeymoon Suite
Rates & Special Offers
Deals By Date
- All rates are subject to availability.
- Proof of SADC residency may be required at the time of booking or upon check-in at the lodge.
- Surcharges may apply on rates over peak holiday periods and long weekends.
- Unless otherwise stated, all rates listed are based on a minimum 2 night stay. Surcharges may apply for a 1 night booking.
- Rates quoted are only applicable to South African Residents. Discounted rates for International Residents are available on request.
- Entrance Fee at Gowrie Gate of R 310 per vehicle & R 140 per person is to be paid upon arrival at the gate. Rates are subject to change without prior notice.
- A Guest Conservation Contribution Fee of R 75.90 per person per night applies and will be added to the invoice for the accommodation at the time of booking. Subject to change.
- Please request the single supplement for single accommodation from your BushBreaks consultant.
- Children aged 3 years and older are welcome at the lodge.
- Child rates for children aged 3 years to under 12 years apply. Please request rates from your BushBreaks consultant.
- Children of all ages are permitted on game drives at the sole discretion of management & the ranger and on condition that they are accompanied by a parent/guardian.
- Children aged 16 years and younger are not be permitted on Bush Walks.
About Elephant Plains Lodge
Elephant Plains Game Lodge offers you comfortable and affordable style in one of the world’s few remaining wilderness areas. Elephant Plains is a privately owned and operated property within the 65 000 hectare Sabi Sand Game Reserve, part of the 2,2 million hectare Greater Kruger National Park.
The lodge is situated on the bank of the Manyeleti, a perennial river that only flows in years of particularly high rainfall. The lodge traverses an area of over 4500 ha that encompasses clay-based plains, broad-leafed, hilly woodland interspersed with dolerite ridges and mature riverine habitats, creating a fantastic biodiversity of flora and fauna. Here you can see Africa’s Big Five, as well as other more rare predators such as the cheetah and wild dog. We have a wide variety of birds, reptiles and mammals.
Elephant Plains is home to a maximum of 24 guests, this combined with our flexibility and gracious hospitality ensures our guests comfort and provides a very personal service.
The lodge comprises six luxury suites, each with a lounge area and private deck with views of the riverbed.
The natural design and architecture of these six glass-fronted suites falls softly on the eye, decorated in warm, earthy tones they blend in superbly with their natural surroundings. These exclusive open-plan suites each have a lounge, double bedroom, en suite bathroom (inside/outside shower) and a private sun-deck that offers spectacular views over the riverbed. All luxury chalets feature air-conditioning, overhead fans, wood fires, mosquito nets and a safe. One chalet has been specially prepared to accommodate our disabled guests.
In addition to the 6 luxury suites, the lodge also features five spacious appointed thatched chalets tastefully decorated with an African theme. Every chalet has its own distinct character and comfortable charm, and looks out over the beautifully landscaped garden. All chalets have en-suite bathrooms (bath and shower) air-conditioning, overhead fans and mosquito nets. The Manyeleti honeymoon suite provides romantic elegance in a secluded setting. This glass-fronted suite also boasts a private splash pool and sala. All rooms are equipped with air-conditioning and mini bars. The bar is an ideal place to relax and share experiences. Mealtimes are mouth-watering events complemented by carefully selected wines from the Lodge’s well-stocked cellar.
The pool deck overlooks the watering hole opposite the camp where animals come to drink daily. The main lodge houses the reception, dining room, bar/lounge, wine cellar, library and curio shop Breakfast and lunch are served buffet style in the dining room and evening meals are served around a fire in the boma. Each meal is prepared with exquisite care and this combined with the open-air setting, promise an unforgettable dining experience. Adjacent to the swimming pool , the wooden deck offers spectacular views overlooking the waterhole and scenic plain . The care with which each meal is prepared together with the setting of the open-air boma or thatched lapa ensure an unforgettable dining experience.
Our personalised service is of the highest standard due to the exclusivity and smallness of the lodge. Your personal guides – an experienced game ranger and local Shangaan tracker – are keen to share their knowledge and love of the African bush with you. The highlight of your visit is the thrill of discovering wildlife from the safety of open vehicles. The 4-wheel drive vehicles enable the rangers to drive off-road and provide guests with up close game viewing and great photographic opportunities. The day starts with an early morning game drive, then after breakfast a bush walk gives you the opportunity to learn about the smaller wonders of the veld. During the afternoon game drive you will stop at a carefully selected venue to enjoy a sun-downer whilst watching the sun set over the awe-inspiring wilderness, before continuing on a night drive using spotlights to look for nocturnal animals.
At Elephant Plains Game Lodge you can be sure of an experience that will live up to the Africa of your dreams, creating a lifetime of memories!
Please take note that the lodge can only be reached through the Gowrie Gate and not through Newington or Shaws Gate. Due to river crossings it is also not possible to travel through the reserve. The last +/- 20km is a dirt road. Allow yourself at least 45 minutes from the end of the tar road to the lodge.
To / From Lydenburg / Hoedspruit
Take the N4 from JHB / Pretoria. Bypass Witbank and Middelburg, continue on to Belfast. Turn left onto the R540 past Dullstroom to Lydenburg. From Lydenburg take the R36 to Origstad. Pass through the JG Strijdom Tunnel. From the tunnel, continue for approx. 27 km before turning right to go towards Klaserie. Continue straight along the Klaserie road until you reach a sign pointing to Orpen & The South African Wildlife College. Turn left and continue on the R531 for about 30 km until you see the entrance to The South African Wildlife College on your left hand side. Immediately after the College you will see a small dirt track on you right hand side, which takes you off of the tar road. Drive through the gate and follow the map as indicated.