- Grootbos Private Nature Reserve is a luxury eco-reserve in the Western Cape located close to Hermanus on the Southern tip of Africa tucked inbetween mountains, forest and the Ocean.
- Stroll through an ancient Milkwood forest, soak up the beauty of the fynbos or admire dramatic mountain and sea views whilst making your way towards your private suite. Each of the accommodation offerings at Grootbos has been designed to complement the pristine natural setting, while never compromising on style or luxury.
- During the Secret Season at Grootbos (May, June & July) nature comes together in an orchestra of natural and special wonders. The skies are decorated with bursts of sunset hues and flashes of brightly coloured plumage, the fields are adorned with the vibrant colours of blooming fynbos, the air is filled with the buzzing of bees and birdsong, and the deep blue waters of the Atlantic Ocean come alive with The Marine Big 5
- Big FiveNo
- Off RoadNo
- Camp FencedNo
- Child PolicyChildren aged 12 years and older are welcome at Forest Lodge
- PoolForest Lodge - Pool at main lodge & two suites have private plunge pools Garden Lodge - Pool at main lodge Private villas - Private Pools
- SPAYes at all lodges
- Malaria AreaNo
LocationGaansbaai, close to Hermanus, Western Cape
50 km East of Hermanus (30 – 40 minute drive)
2 hours drive from Cape Town
Garden Lodge: One-Bedroom Luxury Suites & Two-Bedroom Luxury Family Suites
Forest Lodge: One-bedroom Luxury Suites
Villa at Grootbos
Villa 2 at Grootbos
Rates & Special Offers
Deals By Date
- All rates are subject to availability.
- Proof of SA residency may be required at the time of booking or upon check-in at the lodge.
- Surcharges and a minimum 3 night stay may apply on rates over peak holiday periods and long weekends.
- Unless otherwise stated, all rates listed are based on a minimum 2 night stay. Surcharges may apply for a 1 night booking.
- Rates quoted above are valid for SA Residents only. Special discounted rates for International Residents are available on request.
- Rates exclude a Conservation Levy of R 75 per adult per night, payable upon booking and subject to change.
- Please request a special discounted rate for single accommodation from your BushBreaks consultant.
- SA Resident rates, for children of all ages at Forest Lodge:
- Rate per child 12 – 16 years per night:
- R 2,475 (05 April to 31 August 2022)
- Children sharing with their parents in a One-Bedroom Luxury Suite at Forest Lodge are accommodated on a sleeper bed in the lounge. (Maximum 2 children aged 12 – 16 years)
About Grootbos Forest Lodge
It was in 1991 that the Lutzeyer family first set eyes on a small farm on the fynbos slopes overlooking Walker Bay and they couldn’t believe the beauty they had seen. In 1994 Michael Lutzeyer sold his business interests in Cape Town and decided to develop a bed and breakfast for local visitors, not knowing that soon he would be attracting visitors from across the globe. Since then, through a combination of hard work, enthusiasm, vision and strong family cooperation, the Lutzeyers have turned the reserve into a world leader in progressive luxury tourism, transforming the lives of community members and preserving 2500 hectares of botanical and wildlife treasures.
With breathtaking panoramic views of mountain and sea, the Grootbos Private Nature Reserve is a luxurious pristine paradise which show cases the splendour of the Cape Floral Kingdom and the incredible marine life of the southern tip of Africa. The reserve is situated 2 hours from Cape Town, and is the perfect base to discover all the magnificent attractions of the Cape, offering an extensive variety of guided experiences and luxurious facilities. Tucked away in an ancient Milkwood forest surrounded by rolling hills of fynbos and majestic mountains, the accommodation options at Grootbos offer a complete immersion into the pristine natural surroundings within the comfort and luxury.
Grootbos is home to two exclusive sanctuaries, Garden Lodge & Forest Lodge as well as two exclusive Villas.
Staying true to its name, Garden Lodge has a warm and welcoming feel and is set amongst an Eden of beautifully landscaped fynbos gardens and indigenous trees. This lodge was Fashioned from stone, thatch and timber, reflecting an African warmth with an intercontinental twist, blending perfectly into the surrounding landscape.
This lodge is perfect for families as it accepts children of all ages and presents a homely atmosphere through tranquil gardens, charming ponds and meandering walkways.
The One Bedroom-Luxury Suites
This suite is a spacious bedroom with en-suite bathroom, separate lounge with tea & coffee making facilities, minibar, cosy fireplace and a DVD player for in-room entertainment. These suites open out onto a private outside deck overlooking the Walker Bay. Other facilities include a separate bath, shower and toilet, satellite TV and secure room safe.
Two-Bedroom Luxury Family Suite
The Two-Bedroom Suites boast luxurious home-from-home comforts and are ideal for families or friends travelling together. These suites feature two private en-suite bedrooms with en-suite bathrooms (one with a shower and one with a bath) along with a separate lounge and dining area equipped with tea & coffee making facilities, minibar, cosy fireplace as well as a DVD player. The spacious suites open out onto a private outside deck overlooking the Walker Bay.
Garden Lodge Facilities
|Bar|Barbeque Facilities|Battery Charging Facilities|Internet Access (Complimentary)|Laundry Service (Available)|Library|Mobile Connectivity|Pool|Restaurant|Spa
Forest Lodge at Grootbos is a perfect marriage between sophistication and contemporary design which reflects the breathtaking natural beauty of the surrounding landscape. With clean lines, high ceilings and large windows which frame and accentuate the incredible sweeping views across the rolling hills of fynbos and the whale sanctuary of Walker Bay. On a clear day, it’s possible to see all the way to Cape Point!
The main lodge features a variety of elegant dining venues, a bar, lounge, curio shop and conference centre. Spacious wooden decks and an infinity pool for ultra relaxation. As the evening descends, cosy fireplaces and subtle lighting create a warm, romantic atmosphere for the perfect dining experience.
One-Bedroom Luxury Suites
Each of these suites features a spacious bedroom with en-suite bathroom including double washbasins, double shower and bath. Guests can utilise a separate lounge area equipped with tea & coffee making facility and a separate bathroom, minibar, cosy fireplace, flatscreen TV and DVD player for in-room entertainment. The spacious suites open out onto a private deck with outside showers overlooking Walker Bay. Two of the Suites have a private plunge pool on the deck.
Forest Lodge facilities
|Bar|Communal Dining|Conference Centre|Internet Access|Laundry Service|Mobile Connectivity|Pool|Restaurant|Spa
THE VILLA’S AT GROOTBOS
VILLA 1 – 6 Bedroom Villa
If one is looking for an entirely exclusive experience, look no further than this luxurious villa. Set apart from the rest of the estate there is a 6-Bedroom Villa which provides guests with 1000 square metres in which to unwind, indulge and connect. The design of every room is both gracious, yet thoughtful, whilst still delivering intuitive service.
|2 Master-Suites with en-suite bathroom (bath, shower and outside shower)|3 Luxury Bedrooms with en-suite bathroom (bath and shower)|1 Luxury Bedroom with en-suite bathroom (shower only)|2 Lounges with satellite TV|1 fully equipped kitchen with storeroom and scullery|Dining Room|Breakfast area|2 outside BBQ areas, 1 inside BBQ area|Outside pool|1 Media Room with big screen and projector|1 fully equipped office with internet access and telephone|1 Gym|Wine Cellar|Large outside decks|Own landing strip suitable for helicopters and small planes
VILLA 2 – 4 Bedroom Villa
The 4 Bedroom Villa at Grootbos provides guests with 800 square metres in which to unwind, indulge and connect.
Each and every room in this Villa offers something special, whether it’s an ocean vista that leaving one feeling serene, or a dining room table you simply won’t want to leave.
|1 Master-Suite with en-suite bathroom (bath and shower)|2 Luxury Bedrooms with en-suite bathroom (bath and shower)|1 Luxury Bedroom with en-suite bathroom (shower only)|1 Lounge with satellite TV|1 fully equipped kitchen with storeroom and scullery|Dining Room|Outside BBQ area|Outside pool|1 Gym|Wine Cellar|Large outside decks|Own landing strip suitable for helicopters and small planes
- Guided walks and 4×4 drives through the reserve
- 1-2 hour guided walks through the extensive Milkwood Forest.
- 1-2 hour guided horse rides through the reserve
- Guided excursions to the Klipgat Cave, one of the most important archaeological sites
- in South Africa (ten minutes from Grootbos)
- Guided trip along the nearby coast to view the whales (June/July to December)
- Guided walks along the rocky coast, exploring the marine life in the pools
- Opportunities to explore sandy beaches, swim in sheltered bays and picnic on the beach
- Bird-watching;experience a great variety of bird species on the reserve
- Boat-trips to Dyer Island to watch about 60.000 Cape Fur Seals, penguins, seabirds, the Great White Shark, dolphins and the Southern Right Whales (June to December).
- Shark cage diving.
- Scenic Flights
- Beach Horse Riding
- Quad Biking.
- Fynbos Discoveries � Erica Irregularis
- Cave Tours & Mussel Foraging
- Marine Safaris
- Honey Harvesting
- Bird Watching
- Gardens at Grootbos
- Mountain Biking
- Food & Wine Experience
- Lady Stanford River Cruise
DIRECTIONS FROM CAPE TOWN TO GROOTBOS
Take the N2 from Cape Town, past the Airport to Somerset West. Either follow the N2 over Sir Lowry’s Pass turning on to the R43 after the Houhoek Pass, or take the R44 along the coast and turn onto the R43 to Hermanus. Drive through Hermanus, Grootbos is situated 13km past Stanford on the R43.
FROM GARDEN ROUTE TO GROOTBOS
The N2 brings you west past Swellendam and Riviersonderend. 10km past Riviersonderend turn on to the R326 to Stanford. At Stanford turn left on to the R43. Grootbos is situated 13 km from Stanford on the R43.