- Kapama Karula exudes calmness and depicts the pinnacle of luxury five-star safari accommodation.
- Transfers from Hoedspruit/Eastgate Airport to the Lodge return are free of charge for scheduled flights.
- All guest areas have unrestricted views onto the Klaserie River.
- Big FiveYes
- Off RoadYes
- Camp FencedYes
- Child PolicyAll ages welcome
- PoolPool in main area & in the Superior Suites
- SPAFull Spa
- Cellphone SignalYes
- Malaria AreaYes (Low Risk Area)
LocationKapama Private Game Reserve
5.5 hour drive from Johannesburg or scheduled flight from Johannesburg/Cape Town into Hoedspruit Airport.
Transfers from Hoedspruit/Eastgate Airport to the Lodge return are free of charge for scheduled flights.
10 Superior Villas
2 Superior Family Villas
Rates & Special Offers
Deals By Date
- All rates are subject to availability.
- Proof of SADC residency may be required at the time of booking or upon check-in at the lodge.
- Surcharges and a minimum 3 night stay may apply on rates over peak holiday periods and long weekends.
- Special discounted rates for International guests are available on request.
- Unless otherwise stated, all rates listed are based on a minimum 2 night stay. Surcharges may apply for a 1 night booking.
- Rates quoted are only applicable to South African Residents. Special discounted rates for International Residents are available on request.
- Conservation Levy of R 150 per person per night applies and will be added to the invoice for the accommodation at the time of booking. (Subject to change)
- There will be a supplement of 50% on the per person sharing rate for single accommodation in the Superior Villas.
- Children under 2 years stay free of charge in a Superior Villa.
- Children aged 2 – 11 years, sharing with two adults in a Superior Villa will receive a 50% discount on the per person sharing adult rate.
- Please note children under the age of 6 years will not be permitted on game drives. Where possible a kiddie’s safari will be arranged between normal safari times.
- Babysitting can be arranged at the lodge at an additional charge.
- Children between the ages of 6 & 12 years are permitted on drives at the sole discretion of the manager or guide.
About Kapama Karula
Set on the banks of the Klaserie river which flows throughout the year, is the reserve’s most secluded and prestigious lodge. The 12 Villas that make up Kapama Karula -“the place of peace” – are in every way true to their name. The river glides smoothly forming sparkling pools that attract smaller riverine animals and a myriad of birds in every season.
This extraordinary camp, based on the recently acquired Gwalagwala camp has now been rebuild into one of the finest Camps in many respects. Consisting of 10 Villas and 2 Family Villas which are the epitome of luxury. Each with a his and hers basin, inside and outside shower and sliding glass doors providing unrestricted views onto one of the most sought after locations – the Klaserie river.
The new lounge, dining room, bar, pool and pool deck as well as other guest entertainment areas will impress the best of connoisseurs. All of course with unrestricted views onto the Klaserie river.
A new Wellness Centre was opened in May 2016. Situated on the Klaserie River, boasting breath-taking views of the surrounding African bush. It has a well equipped gym and 4 stylishly decorated treatment rooms.
- Air conditioning
- Balcony / patio
- Mini bar
- Tea / coffee making facilities
- En-suite bathroom
- Separate bath & shower
- Shaving outlet
- Mosquito panels outside the unit
- Daily service
About Kapama Game Reserve
Kapama Private Game Reserve is situated in the Limpopo Province and was proclaimed a private nature reserve in December 1993. Covering approximately 13 000 hectares of prime big game territory, Kapama Private Game Reserve has succeeded in combining the wilderness of the bush with the comforts of five-star hospitality and facilities.
The name comes from Kapama, a Swazi king, whose tribe inhabited and hunted the northern Drakensberg mountain region around Mariepskop back in the 1880s. A game relocation programme was introduced and the reserve now supports a wide variety of game including elephant, buffalo, rhinoceros, and large populations of giraffe, impala, blue wildebeest and kudu. Predators include lion, leopard, cheetah, spotted hyena and many smaller species.
- Hot air ballooning
- Elephant back safari
- Romantic sleep out
- Family safari
- Visit to the Endangered Species Center
Directions from Johannesburg
- Take either the N12 or the N4 from Johannesburg to Witbank and Middelburg. Turn onto the R540 towards Belfast, Dullstroom and Lydenburg. Dullstroom is set on the highveld and is an ideal point for exploring the region. The village has a quaint old-world atmosphere and is famous for its trout fishing. This is an ideal halfway stop on the way to Kapama Private Game Reserve. From Lydenburg proceed on the R36 to Orighstad, through the Strydom Tunnel to Hoedspruit.
- This scenic drive through Mpumalanga has awesome landscapes and unforgettable views. Drive up the mountain passes onto the escarpment and look down onto the wonders of the lowveld. At the Strydom Tunnel there are a number of stalls selling ethnic curios from the area.
- At Hoedspruit, take the R40 to Klaserie.
- For Kapama Southern Camp, continue on the R40 and turn left at the Eastgate Airport turn-off and continue for 15 km. Turn right at the Guernsey turn-off and continue on the gravel road for another 10 km. The Kapama Southern Camp entrance will be on your left-hand side.
- For Kapama River Lodge, Buffalo Camp and Kapama Karula, continue on the R40 until you reach the entrance on your left-hand side.