- Unique setting on the River Bed of The Makutsi River.
- Pan African Cuisine.
- Ideal for Families with Children of all ages.
- Close access to the Greater Kruger National Park.
- Big FiveYes
- Off RoadNo
- Camp FencedYes
- Child PolicyAll ages welcome
- SPAIn-room Massages
- Malaria AreaYes
- Back-up PowerGenerator
LocationKarongwe Private Game Reserve
5 hour drive from Johannesburg. Scheduled daily flights from Johannesburg to Hoedspruit Airport, Transfers from Hoedspruit Airport to the Lodge.
5 x Luxury Suites
2 x Family Suites
2 x Executive Suites
2 x Presidential Suites
Rates & Special Offers
Deals By Date
SPECIAL DISCOUNTED RATES FOR ADDITIONAL ACCOMMODATION OPTIONS ARE AVAILABLE ON REQUEST.
- All rates are subject to availability.
- Proof of SADC residency may be required at the time of booking or upon check-in at the lodge.
- Surcharges may apply on rates over peak holiday periods and long weekends.
- Unless otherwise stated, all rates listed are based on a minimum 2 night stay. Surcharges may apply for a 1 night booking.
- Rates quoted above are only valid for SA Residents. Special Discounted Rates for International Residents are available on request.
- Reserve Fees apply:
- R 210 (2023) / R 220 (2024) per person per night, subject to change. (Applies to all guests: children and adults)
- There will be a 40% single supplement for single accommodation.
- Children of all ages are welcome at Karongwe River Lodge.
- Children 0 – 2 years are accommodated on a complimentary basis.
- Children 3 – 11 years pay 50% of the adult sharing rate, when sharing a family room with two adults.
- Children 12 years and older pay full adult rate.
- Babysitting available on request and at an additional charge.
- Children under 6 years are not permitted on any Game activity unless approved by the Lodge Management onsite. No prior approval shall be given. (Children are required to be accompanied by an adult on Game activity). Please note children that are under aged will not be allowed on a game drive – securing a private vehicle will also not allow this policy.
- LITTLE PAW CENTRE: Is aimed at children 3 -11 years, however, older children and parents are welcome to partake. The Little Paws Programme is full of fun interactive activities.
- TRACKER 101 (Done by rangers and trackers):A mini tracker course – culminating in a TRACKER 101 certificate. This This will involve a few hours whereby the kids are taught by a tracker to identify spoors, to know a few basic tree types and their uses. Interesting elements to be included are the use of poly-filler/ clay in the tracks to make casts of animal footprints, learning about termite mounds, and other interesting bush knowledge and games.
About Karongwe River Lodge
At Karongwe River Lodge, a delicious food experience awaits you. Dining under the stars has never been so romantic as you enjoy our pan African cuisine in a rustic outside boma or on alternate evenings in the beautifully appointed dining room. To compliment your meal choose from our extensive selection of top South African and imported beers and wine together with a variety of spirits and soft drinks. Spend the afternoon relaxing beside the pool or watching the game from your private deck before being whisked away on a late afternoon safari in an open game drive vehicle.
The enchanting view over the makhutsi river is a natural treasure providing insight into the secret river life. The spacious lounge area leading onto a vast deck allows for endless opportunity to view elephant as well as grazing antelope.
Settle in at your leisure in one of our 11 spacious and air-conditioned suites, with en-suite bathrooms. River Lodge offers guests a choice of 5 Luxury, 2 Family and 2 Executive Suites, with the 2 Presidential Suites enjoying their own private plunge pools. Romance is the key to any successful wedding and Karongwe River Lodge provides this in abundance. The ceremony can be held at “Fig Tree” beneath beautiful shady, indigenous trees bordering the Makhutsi River. This venue grants you and your guests to a real bush wedding-experience! “Fig Tree” is approximately half an hour’s drive into the bush and guests will be transported there by our own safari vehicle.
- Mini bar
- Coffee/Tea facilities
- Hair Dryer
- Air conditioners
- Mosquito nets
- Inside bath and shower
- Only the Presidential Suites have private plunge pools
About Karongwe Private Game Reserve
Karongwe Private Game Reserve, overlooking the majestic Drakensberg mountain range in the Limpopo Province, Traversing over the 9000 hectares of supreme African bushveld, the Karongwe Reserve is home to the Big Five (Lion, Leopard, Buffalo, Rhino and Elephant) as well as a wealth of other creatures. Our open vehicle game drives are perfect for game viewing. Enjoy a sundowner while the sun sets over the magnificent Drakensberg Mountains. The magnificent game viewing makes for perfect photographic opportunities; enjoy the view of the Lowveld from a “kopje” amid the lush vegetation, huge variety of trees and over 365 different bird species. Game drives are conducted with our qualified game rangers and Shangaan trackers – who will share their vast experience of the African Bush and a chance to view Cheetah on foot.
- Game viewing
- Little paw centre for children
- Take the N4 motorway towards Mbombela (Nelspruit), passing eMalahleni (Witbank) and Middleburg
- Turn left into eMakhazeni (Belfast)
- Once in eMakhazeni, follow the signs and turn right towards
- Dullstroom, passing through Mashishing (Lydenburg)
- Continue on the R36 to Ohrigstad and the JG Strydom Tunnel
- Approximatly 10km after the tunnel, turn left onto the R36
- Towards Tzaneen.
- The Karongwe Game Reserve is situated on your right, with the lodges located as follows,
Shiduli – 22km
Kuname – 24km
River Lodge and Chisomo – 27km
Becks – 27km
Head south on Argyle Road (650m), then turn left toward R527 (100m) Turn right toward R527 (140m), turn right onto R527 (31,1km) and then turn right onto R36 (23,1km)
Rooms Found, Nights, 2 Adults