- Makakatana Bay Lodge which is perfectly positioned on the banks of Lake St Lucia within the iSimangaliso Wetland Park is in a world of its own giving guests the opportunity to experience unspoiled beaches, vast wetlands & wildlife through their various tailor made activities.
- Each room is surrounded by bush providing privacy and intimacy however, guests can expect frequent visits from warthogs, red duikers, nyalas, bush babies, and a variety of bird life which can be viewed from your very own deck.
- The 328’000 hectare reserve was South Africa’s first world heritage site and encompasses 5 five major ecological zones. The iSimangaliso Wetland Park has an impressive list of 526 bird species.
- Big FiveNo
- Off RoadNo
- Camp FencedNo
- Child PolicyChildren 6 - 12 years of age are welcome
- Malaria AreaLow Risk
- Back-up PowerSolar
LocationIsimangaliso Wetland Park,KZN
2 & a half hour drive from Durban or King Shaka International Airport
6 & a half hour drive from Gauteng
5 x Standard Rooms
2 x Family Rooms
1 x Honeymoon Suite
Rates & Special Offers
Deals By Date
- All rates are subject to availability.
- Proof of SA/SADC residency may be required at the time of booking or upon check-in at the lodge.
- Surcharges may apply on rates over peak holiday periods and long weekends.
- Unless otherwise stated, all rates listed are based on a minimum 2 night stay. Surcharges may apply for a 1 night booking.
- Rates quoted are only applicable to SA Residents. Discounted special rates for International Residents are available on request.
- Park Entry Fees must be paid in cash at the gate: R 118 per adult per stay & R 86 per child per stay and R 70 per vehicle (1 – 5 pax), subject to change.
- R 19 per person per night Community Levy for overnight accommodation & Conservation Levy of R 100 per adult per day & R 50 per child per day applies. To be settled at the lodge direct.
- Single accommodation rates are available on request. Please ask your BushBreaks & More consultant for a quote.
- Children 6-12 years of age are welcome at Makakatana Bay Lodge.
- Children under the age of 12 are to be under supervision of their parents at all times. Exceptions are made to accept children under the age of 6 years subject to family group bookings and consent from the owners.
- Childminding is available at extra cost and if booked in advance.
- Full Child Policy needs to be signed by the parents prior to arrival.
- Child rates are available on request.
- Children under 6 are not permitted to go on game drives due to the nature of this activity in a dangerous game area.
- Children under 6 may join the activities if there is a family group booking of 7 or more, but may be requested to book a private vehicle at an additional cost, if available and if the guide and management deem it necessary for the enjoyment of other guests.
About Makakatana Bay Lodge
Found in the iSimangaliso Wetland Park on the banks of Lake St Lucia, Makakatana Bay is a wetland & wildlife paradise.
Enjoy the serenity and beauty of unspoiled beaches, vast wetlands, game drives around the reserve and an illustrious boat cruise on the estuary. Makakatana focuses on showing off the unique & pristine wilderness of the reserve with the addition to a luxurious safari holiday.The main area of the lodge has a communal area with personal service designed for relaxation & comfort. The main lodge is where all meals are served either upon a raised deck wrapping around the lodge or the eccentric boma illustrating ‘shabeen chic’.
The lodge boasts a bar, a nearby wine cellar which is more commonly known as the ‘Old Crab House’ as well as a nearby private bush pool on the edge of Lake St Lucia.
There are five standard rooms three of which are twin rooms & two of which are double rooms. Each room features a an outdoor bath & shower, balcony, aircon and mini bar.
The family rooms are perfect for four guests with 1 double bed and two single beds in the second inter-leading bedroom. With an outdoor shower and bath guests can experience the bush in an ultra luxurious manner.
The honeymoon suite overlooks an open field where animals such as warthogs, red duikers, nyalas, bush babies, and a variety of bird life. This suite features an outdoor shower, mini bar and is fully air-conditoned.
Experiences at Makakatana Bay
The iSimangaliso Wetland Park known for the abundance of wildlife in the reserve and within Lake St Lucia. Each guests stay at Makakatana Bay is designed around exploring the amazing sanctuary on an open game drive vehicle or on the private pontoon boat.
Makakatana Bay is a short drive from Durban and Richard’s Bay therefore once guests are settled into their rooms, an afternoon game drive is offered with experienced guides, followed by a delicious dinner & an evening under the stars.
Take an exceptional cruise along Lake St. Lucia which has become a firm favourite at Makakatana as it allows guests to experience the wildlife from a totally new perspective. Here guests can watch the resident hippo performance or set your binoculars on the reed birds whilst enjoying the gentle breeze as you learn about the lake from expert guides.
Dip your feet in the warm Indian Ocean at one the most pristine coastlines in South Africa. The beach safari offered by the lodge includes a game drive from the western shores through to the eastern shores, allowing guests to explore this amazing World Heritage Site. Here one can spot a breaching whale, a pod of dolphins as well as rhino & buffalo.
Head out on a full day trip to the famous Hluhluwe-Imfolozi Big Five Game Reserve at the crack of dawn which is just a 75 minute drive away.
One can end the day with a spectacular night drive looking at the stars and searching for the leopard, hyena, porcupine and other nocturnal animals.
Additional activities (available on request & at an additional charge):|Whale Watching|Deepsea fishing|Horse riding|Dumazulu Cultural Village|Emdoneni Cat Rehabilitation Centre
- Aircon & fan
- Separate Bathroom & Toilet
- Outside Shower & Bath
- Dressing Table
- Tea & Coffee making facilities
- Inside shower, outside shower & bath
About iSimangaliso Wetland Park
iSimangaliso Wetland Park is a huge protected area along the coast of South Africa’s KwaZulu-Natal Province. The park’s centrepiece is the vast Lake St. Lucia, home to large numbers of hippos, crocodiles, pelicans and flamingos. Elephants, giraffes and leopards inhabit the grasslands and forests of the nearby Western Shores and Charters Creek areas. To the north, Sodwana Bay is known for its colourful coral reefs . The word isimangaliso means “a miracle” or “something wondrous” in Zulu.
- Full Day Activities Can be booked as extras. Please contact the lodge direct for costs and information on the below activities:
- Boat, Lake and Wetland
- Beach and Eastern Shores
- Full day activities are not offered as extra options to book on a one night stay.
- Activity times may change subject to the seasons/weather.
- Please advise in advance of what full day activity to be booked.
- Refunds or replacement activities are not offered if guests arrive late or miss activities.
- Head north on the N2
- Pass Empangeni/Richards Bay turnoffs
- Pass Mtubatuba / St Lucia turnoff and keep on the N2 heading North for approximately 20Km.
- Head South on the N2
- Pass Pongola and Mkuze
- Pass the Hluhluwe turnoff & head south for about another 25 / 30Km
- Pass the Nyalazi River sign.
- Take the P380 / iSimangaliso Nhlozi gate 11 turnoff and continue for 16 km to the Park Gate.
- Follow signs to Lodge +/- 8km.
- Follow the tar road for approximately 14Km and keep going straight onto the dirt road towards Charters Creek.
- About 1Km along the dirt road take the right fork at the Makakatana sign.
- Keep on the dirt road and follow the signs for another 4Km.