- Makalali Main Lodge boasts many rustic structures including a rim flow swimming pool which overlooks the waterhole, a luxurious spa & the boma
- Each air-conditioned room features luxurious interiors with classic leather & wood furnishings
- Whilst being known as the leading pioneers of ecotourism, the Makalali Private Game Reserve is not only home to the Big Five but also over one thousand other animals
- Big FiveYes
- Off RoadYes
- Camp FencedNo
- Child PolicyChildren of all ages welcome
- Cellphone SignalNo
- Malaria AreaYes
- WI-FI FriendlyYes
LocationMakalali Private Game Reserve
5 hour drive from Johannesburg
3 hours from Kruger Mpumulanga International Airport (KMIA)
1 hour from Eastgate/Hoedspruit Airport
1 hour 15 minutes from Phalaborwa Airport
24 x Superior rooms
6 x Superior interleading rooms
Rates & Special Offers
Deals By Date
- All rates are subject to availability.
- Proof of SADC residency may be required at the time of booking or upon check-in at the lodge.
- Surcharges and a minimum 3 night stay may apply on rates over peak holiday periods and long weekends (06 to 09 August 2021, 23 to 26 September 2021 & 16 December 2021 to 05 January 2022)
- Unless otherwise stated, all rates listed are based on a minimum 2 night stay. Surcharges may apply for a 1 night booking.
- Rates quoted are only applicable to South African Residents. Special discounted rates for International Residents are available on request.
- Rates exclude a Conservation Levy of R 260 per adult per night & R 130 per child ( 6 – 11 years) per night, which will be added to the invoice for the accommodation at the time of booking. (Subject to change)
- There will be a supplement of 50% on the per person sharing rate for single accommodation.
- Children of all ages are welcome.
- When booked as inter-leading rooms for families children sharing with 2 full paying adults will be charged as follows:
- Children under 6 years stay free of charge when sharing with 2 full paying adults. Meals charged on consumption.
- Children between the ages of 6 – 12 years pay 50% of the adult sharing rate when sharing with 2 full paying adults.
- Children aged 12 years and over occupy their own room and are charged as adults.
- Children under 6 years of age are not permitted on game drives.
About Makalali Main Lodge
Makalali Main Lodge is nestled within the Makalali Private Game Reserve, which is west of the Kruger National Park. The lodge consists of 30 air-conditioned en-suite superior rooms boasting luxurious interiors with classic leather & wood furnishings.
The lodge has a central dining & boma area where guests are able to indulge in an array of African cuisine under the superb African sky. The lounge at Makalali Main Lodge is designed in a striking way, featuring rustic structures which effortlessly redirect the outside elements indoors. The library makes for a lovely venue to read a book or magazine in between game drives. The spectacular rim flow swimming pool offers a refreshing swim during the warm summer months & is also a perfect spot to unwind. Apart from great game viewing & amazing culinary adventures one can enjoy a variety of soothing spa treatments. There are also a number of nearby attractions & offsite activities
Each air conditioned superior room at Makalali Main Lodge is comfortably designed with an en-suite bathroom, indoor & outdoor shower with classic leather & wood furnishings that provides guests with a relaxing and luxurious environment.
There are also inter-leading rooms which are perfect for families which are of the same luxurious standard as any other superior room.
Makalali is renowned for its cuisine & has been nominated as one of South Africa’s top eating establishments by combining regional African cuisine which represent the ‘melting pot’ of cooking techniques left behind by centuries of exploration on this great continent. One can choose to dine in the boma area, the entertainment centre or under the stunning starlit African sky where the talented chefs of Makalali provide guests with an array of dining experiences on any occasion & strive to customize any menu to specific needs of each guest.
The friendly waiting staff are called Muchindas which means “a servant to the king” & guests can expect to be treated with the utmost respect.
Among the various culinary experiences, other options include the indoor-outdoor area where guests can tuck into a plated dinner or enjoy family-style dinning alongside other guests.
Healthy children’s meals are also available on request and can be arranged with the Camp Manager or Chef.
- Air conditioning
- Ceiling fan
- Free toiletries
- Indoor & outdoor shower
- Safe (only in the inter-leading room)
About Makalali Private Game Reserve
The Reserve which is just a 5 hour drive from Johannesburg was founded in 1994 & consists of 26 000 hectares of Lowveld Acacia bush and open savanna grass land which all surround the lush river. Makalali Private Game Reserve represents a conservation mission to expand South Africa’s green frontier by re-establishing the ancient wildlife migration routes that linked the famous Kruger Park in the east to the lush Drakensberg Mountains in the west. In the process lion, cheetah, leopard, elephant, and rhino have all been reintroduced to the wild, making Makalali home to over one thousand wild animals including all of Africa’s “Big Five”.
Unlike the reserves along Kruger National Park borders, Makalali’s Bushland is undulating with elevated viewpoints giving panoramic views of the reserve. The expansive area is covered with Jackalberry, Knobthorn and Marula trees.
- Game drives
- Guided bush walks
- Children’s bush knowledge course
- Therapist on request for various soothing treatments
- Morning or afternoon hot air balloon rides (up to 10 guests per balloon)
- Golfing excursions at the Hans Merensky golf course
- Cheetah breeding
- Gin stops
- Lazer shooting