- Each thatched suite offers a raised timber viewing deck allowing for spectacular views of the Makhutswi River where guests can observe the birdlife & game that the reserve has to offer
- At Makalali River Lodge each meal takes you on a culinary adventure by focusing on regional African cuisine to represent the various cooking styles encountered through the exploration of this great continent
- Whilst being known as the leading pioneers of ecotourism, the Makalali Private Game Reserve is not only home to the Big Five but also to over one thousand other wild animals withing the Greater Kruger National Park Region
- Big FiveYes
- Off RoadYes
- Camp FencedNo
- Child PolicyChildren of ages are welcome
- Cellphone SignalNo
- Malaria AreaYes
LocationMakalali Private Game Reserve, Hoedspruit
5 hour drive from Johannesburg
3 hours from Kruger Mpumulanga International Airport (KMIA)
1 hour from Eastgate/Hoedspruit Airport
1 hour 15 minutes from Phalaborwa Airport
3 Camps consisting of 6 x Luxury suites each
(18 suites in total)
17 x Thatched suites – each sleep two adults
1 x Family suite – sleeps two adults and up to 3 children under the age of 12 years
Rates & Special Offers
Deals By Date
- All rates are subject to availability.
- Proof of SADC residency may be required at the time of booking or upon check-in at the lodge.
- Surcharges and a minimum 3 night stay may apply on rates over peak holiday periods and long weekends.
- Unless otherwise stated, all rates listed are based on a minimum 2 night stay. Surcharges may apply for a 1 night booking.
- Rates quoted are only applicable to South African Residents. Special discounted rates for International Residents are available on request.
- Rates exclude a Conservation Levy of R 280 per adult per night & R 140 per child (6 – 11 years) per night, which will be added to the invoice for the accommodation at the time of booking. (Subject to change)
- There will be a supplement of 50% on the per person sharing rate for single accommodation.
- Children of all ages are welcome.
- Family Suite can sleep 2 adults and up to 3 children under the age of 12 years.
- Children under 6 years stay free of charge when sharing with 2 full paying adults. Meals charged on consumption.
- Children between the ages of 6 – 12 years pay 50% of the adult sharing rate when sharing with 2 full paying adults.
- Children over 12 years are charged as adults.
- Children under 6 years of age are not permitted on game drives.
About Makalali River Lodge
Makalali River Lodge is perfectly situated along the banks of the Makhutswi River , providing stunning views and a great space for spotting birds & wildlife.
The three camps that make up Makalali River Lodge are namely; Tandane, Mkhiwa & Emtomeni. Each camp comprises of 6 rooms accompanied by other facilities such as a plunge pool, private viewing deck, dinning area & boma. Even though all camps are private, they are all within easy access of one another. Elements such as thatched spires, earthy walls & ancient mystical ornaments Makalali gives guests the chance to experience something out of this world.
Each suite at Makalali has a raised timber viewing deck (sala) set amongst the Jackalberry trees, which offer extraordinary views of the wildlife in the reserve & it is also the perfect spot for private luncheons or dinners. Makalali River Lodge has Thatched Suites as well as a Family Suite which boast wonderful features such as outdoor and indoor showers, a tea and coffee station, private plunge pool, a bath & other amenities.
African design styles are featured in all rooms with sculpted metalwork lamp shades, taps & ceramic basins and each bed is surrounded by crisp white mosquito nets.
Culinary Experiences at Makalali River Lodge
Apart from the perfect bush setting, Makalali offers a culinary adventure for all guests. With the combination of regional African cuisine which represent the ‘melting pot’ of cooking techniques left behind by centuries of exploration on this great continent. The talented chefs of Makalali provide these experiences through their special boma dinner under the African sky where guests can fully explore food in a unique and exciting way.
The friendly waiting staff are called Muchindas which means “a servant to the king” & guests can expect to be treated with the utmost respect.
If one is looking for a personalised & intimate dinner experience, the private sala dinner is a perfect option.
Among the various culinary experiences, other options include the indoor-outdoor area where guests can tuck into a plated dinner or enjoy family-style dinning alongside other guests.
Healthy children’s meals are also available on request and can be arranged with the Camp Manager or Chef.
About Makalali Private Game Reserve
The Reserve which is just a 5 hour drive from Johannesburg was founded in 1994 & consists of 26 000 hectares of Lowveld Acacia bush and open savanna grass land which all surround the lush river. Makalali Private Game Reserve represents a conservation mission to expand South Africa’s green frontier by re-establishing the ancient wildlife migration routes that linked the famous Kruger Park in the east to the lush Drakensberg Mountains in the west. In the process lion, cheetah, leopard, elephant, and rhino have all been reintroduced to the wild, making Makalali home to over one thousand wild animals including all of Africa’s “Big Five”.
Unlike the reserves along Kruger National Park borders, Makalali’s Bushland is undulating with elevated viewpoints giving panoramic views of the reserve. The expansive area is covered with Jackalberry, Knobthorn and Marula trees.
- Game drives
- Guided bush walks
- Children�s bush knowledge course
- Morning or afternoon hot air balloon rides (up to 10 guests per balloon)
- Golfing excursions at the Hans Merensky golf course
- Cheetah breeding
- Gin stops
- Lazer shooting
Directions from Johannesburg
• Travel ± 17 km on the gravel road to the Makalali Main Gate on your right hand side
Directions from Hazyview
• Continue for about 10km until you see the Makalali stone pillars
Directions from Hoedspruit