- In existence since 1927, this massive thriving tract of land produces the most exciting wildlife experience this side of the equator.
- Guests to MalaMala will still spend hours beneath an inky sky in the traditional boma exchanging stories from the wild – a sumptuous meal, good company and relaxed faces warmed by the crackling fire, accompanied by the nocturnal symphony of sound.
- Big FiveYes
- Off RoadYes
- Camp FencedNo
- Child PolicyAll ages welcome at MalaMala Main Camp
- PoolYes - At The Main Area Only
- SPATreatment Room
- Cellphone SignalNo
- Malaria AreaYes
LocationMalaMala Private Game Reserve within the Sabi Sand Game Reserve
5.5 hours by road from Johannesburg. Daily 1 hour light aircraft flight from O R Tambo Johannesburg International to Malamala airstrip.
7 x River View Luxury Suites
7 x Waterhole Suites
4 x River View Luxury RoomsnnSable Camp
4 x River View Suites
2 x Lions Den Suites (interleading rooms)
1 x Waterhole SuitennRattray’s on MalaMala
8 x Luxury Suites
Rates & Special Offers
Deals By Date
SPECIAL DISCOUNTED RATES FOR OTHER ROOM TYPES / CAMPS ARE AVAILABLE ON REQUEST.
- All rates are subject to availability.
- Proof of SA/SADC residency may be required at the time of booking or upon check-in at the lodge.
- Surcharges may apply on rates over peak holiday periods and long weekends.
- Unless otherwise stated, all rates listed are based on a minimum 2 night stay. Surcharges may apply for a 1 night booking.
- Rates quoted are only applicable to South African Residents. Special discounted rates for International Residents are available on request.
- A Gate entrance fee of R 310 per vehicle and R 140 per person is applicable, to be paid direct. Valid until further notice and subject to change.
- A Community Levy of R 185 (2022) / R 195 (2023) per person per night applies to adults & children and will be added to the invoice for the accommodation at the time of booking. Subject the change and valid until further notice.
- There will be a single supplement of 50% applicable to all MalaMala Lodges.
- MalaMala Camp:
- Children of all ages are welcome, however, children younger than 5 years are subject to specific terms and conditions with respect to dining venues and safari vehicles.
- Children under 12 years are not permitted to dine in the boma. A babysitting facility is available at a nominal fee.
- Family rooms are able to accommodate a third adult or two children and are available on request. The children’s rate is only applicable to children sharing a family room with an adult/s.
- Please request child rates from your BushBreaks consultant.
- Please note children of 5 years and younger will not be permitted on game drives, unless the family has reserved a private vehicle. Additional charge will apply.
- Children between the ages of 6 & 12 years are permitted on drives at the discretion of the game ranger.
About MalaMala Main Camp
MALAMALA MAIN CAMP
Every aspect of the Main Camp is designed to appreciate and enjoy the view of the surrounding wilds. Pathways wind their way along the perimeter of the camp to reveal individual ochre colored units tucked into the greenery which flanks the Sand River. Massive trees and rolling green lawns are filled with birdsong, with the occasional antelope or elephant which seeks the succulence of greenery. The camp is unfenced – an oasis in the bushveld.
MALAMALA SABLE CAMP
Imbued the spirit of MalaMala and sharing her soul, the Sable Camp is a more intimate version of the Main Camp and choice for those seeking a more private and intimate safari. Situated at the southern and of the MalaMala Camp in a prime elevated position overlooking the Sand River and surrounding bushveld, Sable Camp accommodates a maximum of 14 guests. It may also be reserved exclusively for between 10 & 18 guests. Each of the individually decorated, spacious and comfortable suites under traditional thatching occupies an idyllic vantage point and provides a platform from which to admire the unimpeded views.
RATTRAY’S ON MALAMALA
Rattray’s on MalaMala offers a glimpse of an era long past when distant travellers to Africa married the magic of the wild with an elegance and refinement that have been immortalized in the epic tale of Karen Blixen in ‘Out of Africa’. The epitome of regal colonial safari-style, the newest addition to the MalaMala portfolio is a culmination of over 40 years of experience within the Rattray Family.
Rattray’s on MalaMala bears the style of crystal and leather, with beautiful furnishings that are treat to the connoisseur of the finer thing in life, captured over generations on a land that remains as old as time.
Each suite or khaya (Zulu for “home”) functions as an inclusive home, resplendent with hand-selected furnishings, lavish his-and-hers bathrooms, a secluded outdoor shower and a private heated pool.
- “His” and “hers” bathrooms
- 24 hour temperature control
- Direct dial telephones
- Mini safe
- Tea and coffee making facilities
- Insect repellent
About Sabi Sand Game Reserve
MalaMala Game Reserve is the Safari Industry’s blueprint to luxury photographic safari. In existence since 1927, this massive thriving tract of land produces the most exciting wildlife experience this side of the equator. MalaMala Game Reserve is the largest private Big Five game reserve in South Africa. Comprising 13 300 ha, MalaMala shares a 19km (12 mile) unfenced border with the world-renowned Kruger National Park and lies sandwiched between the National Park and the Sabi Sand Game Reserve.
For over four decades, Michael Rattray has remained focused on his objective to preserve and protect the land over which he is custodian. Allowing nature to move to its innate rhythm, guests experience today what the forefathers of the African Safari would have experienced at the turn of the century. This philosophy has paid off, as experienced by a veritable collection of photojournalists and film-makers who have made MalaMala their destination of choice to capture footage of wildlife viewing that would rival any Hollywood production for thrilling and breathtaking animal encounters.
MalaMala’s Camps are the embodiment of an authentic safari experience pioneered at a time when the safari was simple – unassuming camps, vast sweeping plains, the African sky and the bush in all its splendour.
MalaMala promises the finest game viewing on the African sub-continent and regularly provides the subject matter for a veritable collection of international and local wildlife documentaries. Many of these documentaries have won international accolades amidst critical acclaim. Several publications are available, showcasing the treasures that make the property one of the most sought-after on any traveler’s itinerary.
- Game drives
- Game walks on request
Daily 1 hour Federal Air flight directly into MalaMala (AAM) from Johannesburg – O.R Tambo International Airport (ORT) – Private charter flights
Via road – 5½ hour drive from Johannesburg:
- Motorists from Johannesburg should turn left off the N4 at Nelspruit and proceed to Hazyview along the R40 via White River.
- At Hazyview, turn right at the SPAR Centre along the R536 towards Skukuza and the Paul Kruger Gate, travel for 37.5 kilometres (23.3 miles).
- At the Mala Mala Game Reserve sign turn left onto a gravel road – beware the tight hairpin bend. Follow this road for 3kms.
- At the T-junction turn right and continue for another 4.2kms to Shaw’s Gate, the entrance to the Sabi Sand Wildtuin(Game Reserve).
- There is a vehicle entrance fee into the Sabi Sand Wildtuin, payable on arrival. Please ensure you collect the necessary entrance permit from the gate guard.
- Continue straight following the signs to Rattray’s MalaMala.
After 6.3kms you will come to a crossroad. Turn left at the crossroad following the sign to MalaMala / Rattray’s.
Rattray’s on MalaMala is approximately 11kms from this point.
If travelling to MalaMala Main Camp and Sable Camp TURN LEFT at the “y” junction before the Rattray’s turnoff.
You will arrive at the MalaMala boom control gate where the guard will meet you and ask you to sign the register before proceeding to the lodge.