Mantis Founders Railway Carriage
- A unique experience sleeping in a Railway Carriage
- Personal staff and guide
- Exclusive use of the Railway Carriage
- Big 5 safari (25000ha of game reserve)
- An intimate insight into the world of nature conservation
- Private, intimate and family friendly
- Situated on a private concession
- Bear Grylls Survival Academy – accredited kids programme
- Big FiveYes
- Off RoadYes
- Camp FencedYes
- Child PolicyChildren 4 years and older are welcome
- SPAIn-room Spa Treatments (on Request)
- Cellphone SignalYes
- Malaria AreaNo
- Wheelchair FriendlyNo
+- 11 hours from OR Tambo International airport
85km from Chief Dawid Stuurman International Airport
52km to Grahamstown
Exclusive use only
3 x compartments – 5 sleeper
1 x main double sleeper
1 x a two berth
1 x single compartment.
Rates & Special Offers
Deals By Date
- All rates are subject to availability.
- Proof of SADC residency may be required at the time of booking or upon check-in at the lodge.
- Surcharges may apply on rates over peak holiday periods and long weekends.
- Unless otherwise stated, all rates listed are based on a minimum 2 night stay. Surcharges may apply for a 1 night booking.
- Rates quoted are only applicable to South African Residents. Special discounted rates for International Residents are available on request.
- The per night special rate for the The Railway Carriage Exclusive Use Family Offer is based on 1 – 4 guests (2 adults & 2 children 4 – 11 years). Please contact your BushBreaks & More consultant for a quote should your family consist of a different configuration. (Maximum 5 Guests)
- Conservation Levy applicable 11 January 2024 – 31 March 2024: R300 per adult per night / R 150 per child (3 – 11 years) per night which is in addition to the accommodation rates. The proceeds of this levy will be used solely for the wellbeing of the Fauna and Flora on the Founders reserve, including supplementary feed due to the continued drought and enhanced security. To be settled at the Lodge direct.
- The Railway Carriage Family Offer special rate is based on 1 – 4 guests – (2 adults & 2 children 4 – 11 years)
- Children under the age of 4 years are unfortunately not permitted.
- Children 4 years old and over are allowed on game drives.
About Mantis Founders Railway Carriage
The first of its kind in the Eastern Cape is Founders Railway Carriage. Permanently stationed atop a hill within the Founders Lodge private concession, offering outstanding views of the valley from the outdoor deck. Guests are invited to join onboard for an intimate and exciting experience as they immerse themselves within nature. Founders Railway Carriage is suitable for all ages.
- Personal staff & guide
- Lounge area
- Dining area
- Bird Watching
- Varied dining venues in and around the lodge
- Rhino monitoring
- Nature walks within a rare biome with distinct flora and fauna
- Guest impact experience with programs focused on conservation and community impact
- Interactive wildlife tracks & signs of the bush
Follow the N2 east out of Port Elizabeth, heading towards Grahamstown bypassing the R342 turn-off.
Continue along the N2, cross the Bushman’s River until you reach the Sidbury sign.
Turn left on the gravel road and follow this road until you reach a T-junction.
At the T-junction turn left, you only travel 500m and you will turn left again and follow sign boards to Founder ‘s Lodge.