- Mateya Safari Lodge is situated in the spectacular 75 000 hectare malaria- free Madikwe Game Reserve.
- Mateya Safari Lodge is designed for the discerning traveler, offering a graceful fusion of relaxed comfort in a beautiful setting.
- The suites are arranged in a radial configuration around one of the hills, each with a private, rim-flow pool deck and natural window sala overlooking the waterhole or surrounding plains.
- Big FiveYes
- Off RoadYes
- Camp FencedYes
- Child PolicyChildren aged 9 years and older are welcome
- PoolYes - private plunge pools
- SPATreatment Room
- Cellphone SignalVodacom Only
- Malaria AreaNo
LocationMadikwe Game Reserve
3.5 Hours from Johannesburg (320km)
1.5 Hours from Sun City (120km)
5 Individually designed luxury thatched suites
Rates & Special Offers
Deals By Date
- All rates are subject to availability
- Proof of SADC residency may be required at the time of booking or upon check-in at the lodge
- Surcharges may apply on rates over peak holiday periods and long weekends.
- Unless otherwise stated, all rates listed are based on a minimum 2 night stay. Surcharges may apply for a 1 night booking.
- Rates quoted are only applicable to South African Residents. Special discounted rates for International Residents are available on request.
- A Madikwe Guest Conservation Contribution Fee of R 165 per adult per day & R 82.50 per child (2-11 years) per day applies and will be added to the invoice for the accommodation at the time of booking. (Subject to change)
- Please request the single supplement charges from your BushBreaks consultant
- No children under the age of 9 years unless the lodge is booked out exclusively.
- Children 13 years and under pay 50% of the adult per person sharing rate when sharing with adults.
- If children are accommodated in their own suite they will be charged the full adult rate.
- Children under the age of 16 years are not permitted on bush walks.
About Mateya Safari Lodge
Mateya Safari Lodge is designed for the discerning traveler, offering a graceful fusion of relaxed comfort in a beautiful setting. The lodge caters for a maximum of ten guests.
Mateya Safari Lodge accommodations consist of five individually designed luxury air-conditioned thatched suites. Each suite blends with its natural surroundings and offers uninterrupted views of the waterhole and plains. Guests can enjoy a balance of sophistication and comfort, in total privacy and harmony with nature, savouring the rare pleasure of their very own secluded slice of Africa.
About Garonga Safari Camp
- En-suite luxury bathroom with secluded open air shower
- Private deck with natural window sala looking onto a rim flow pool
- Mini bar
- Tea & Coffee making facilities
About Madikwe Game Reserve
Herman Charles Bosman has woven many a tale about Abjaterskop and the Marico River . It is perhaps he that best describes the vast area where enselsberg rise from the savannahs and an area that is given life from the Marico River . This is the malaria free Madikwe Game Reserve, 75 000 hectares of unique topography and breathtaking beauty, it is also the home to the big 5, wild dog, cheetah and a large variety of mammal and bird life.
This 75 000 hectare reserve is situated in the North-West province of South Africa , on the border with Botswana. The large diversity of vegetation and ecozones allows for a rich diversity of game and bird species to inhabit the reserve.
HISTORY OF THE RESERVE
The reserve was proclaimed in August 1991, but officially became the estate of the North-West Parks Board on the 31 October 1991.
The reserve is one of very few in the world that was proclaimed purely on the grounds of it being the most appropriate sustainable land use for the area in which the reserve lies. Studies done through independent consultants clearly showed that wildlife-based tourism would be the most beneficial option for an area that was in an economic depression. The vision for Madikwe was to have a joint venture run by the North-West Parks Board, private investors and the local communities living in the surrounding area. The reserve has now become a role model for many similar ventures country wide due to the successes achieved within the reserve.
Prior to the park being proclaimed, work had already begun on clearing derelict farm buildings, fencing, and a number of alien plant species.
The park has a number of old buildings that were spared from demolition and now serve as The Parks Board headquarters. There were other game scout outposts built to house game scouts and other reserve staff. The perimeter was fenced with approximately 150km of electric game fencing, which is electrified to prevent the escape of the larger game species. In the park local business and labour was used to demolish buildings, erect fences and to construct roads, dams and lodges.
The drive from Johannesburg/ Pretoria to Mateya Safari Lodge is a scenic four (4) and a half hour journey.
The suggested route is: Krugersdorp, Magaliesburg, Derby, Koster, Swartruggens and then Zeerust. There is a toll road near Swartruggens, please note that there is a toll fee per vehicle on this route. In Zeerust, turn right at the First National Bank, where you will see a direction board showing the route to Madikwe Game Reserve and Gaborone.
From Zeerust it is 85km to Madikwe Game Reserve, turn right into the Reserve at the Abjaterskop Gate. Please note that the speed limit in the Reserve is 40km/hour, watch out for speed humps!
Follow the main road for 11km until you reach a T- junction, turn left at the junction and drive for a further 2km and turn left again following the Derdepoort signs. Drive for approximately 12km until you reach a four-way intersection, turn left here following the Mateya sign, drive for 1km and turn left again at the reception sign. This road will lead into Mateya Safari Lodge.