- Mhondoro Game Lodge is a luxury family-friendly Safari Lodge close to Johannesburg/Gauteng – perfect for a last minute bush break!
- For those who want to indulge in ultimate relaxation or work up some sweat, the NEW SPA & GYM is a treat. Our team includes two qualified and experienced beauty therapists.
- The main new feature, and we are very excited about this, is the UNDERGROUND WATERHOLE HIDE, which is connected to the main lodge through a 60m TUNNEL. It will allow guests to experience eye-to-eye encounters with BIG 5 wildlife at the waterhole, in a safe environment. It is the perfect place to hide while capturing the most amazing photos.
- Big FiveYes
- Off RoadNo
- Camp FencedNo
- Child PolicyAll ages welcome
- SPAFull Spa and Gym
- Cellphone SignalNo
- Malaria AreaNo
LocationWelgevonden Game Reserve
3 hour drive from Johannesburg to the Main Gate of the Welgevonden Game Reserve.
2 Deluxe Suites (Max 2 guests)
1 Two Bedroom Family Suite (Min 3/ Max 4 guests)
1 Two Bedroom Executive Suite (Min 3/ Max 4 guests)
1 Honeymoon Suite (Max 2 guests)
1 Three Bedroom Luxury Private Mhondoro Villa (Min 4/Max 6 guests + 2 additional children under 12 yrs on request)
Rates & Special Offers
Deals By Date
- All rates are subject to availability.
- Proof of SADC residency may be required at the time of booking or upon check-in at the lodge.
- Surcharges a minimum 3 night stay may apply on rates over peak holiday periods and long weekends.
- Unless otherwise stated, all rates listed are based on a minimum 2 night stay. Surcharges may apply for a 1 night booking.
- Rates quoted are only applicable to South African Residents. Special Discounted Rates for International Residents are available on request.
- Welgevonden Gate/Conservation Levy payable directly to the Lodge: R 180 per person per day. Applies to all guests (adults & children of all ages) and is subject to change.
- Guests will be collected at the Main Gate of the Welgevonden between 12h30 & 13h00. On the day of departure, guests will be transferred back to the Main Gate at 11h00.
- Gate transfers other than the allocated time must be requested in advance with management & if available will be charged at R 1000.00 (subject to change) per vehicle one way and may interfere with the first afternoon game drive or lunch depending on how much later the guests arrive.
- There will be a supplement of 50% of the adult per person sharing rate for single accommodation.
- Children of all ages are welcome.
- Children aged 0 – 35 months stay free of charge.
- Children aged 3 – 11 years pay 50% of the applicable adult rate when sharing with 2 adults.
- Children 12 years & older pay the full adult per person sharing rate.
- Children under the age of 6 years may not be accommodated on scheduled game drives when other guests are joining.
- Bumble game drives may be arranged for families with small children at a rate of R 600 per bumble drive, subject to availability of a vehicle and a ranger at the time. The drives are tailored to cater for smaller children and can vary in duration and will include child appropriate facts and sightings. (Costs are subject to change)
About Mhondoro Game Lodge
Mhondoro Game Lodge offers luxury safari accommodation in the Welgevonden Game Reserve which is a malaria-free and Big 5 game reserve in the Waterberg Region of Limpopo, South Africa. Mhondoro boasts a beautiful mix of African chic and contemporary design and offers a perfect view on the busy waterhole in front of the lodge.
A massive part of the lodge has been rebuilt in the last two years adding a few unique features that will give guests the safari experience of a lifetime. The main new feature is the Underground Waterhole Hide, which is connected to the main lodge through a 60M Tunnel. It will allow our guests to experience close up eye-to-eye encounters with BIG 5 wildlife at the waterhole, in a safe environment and is the perfect opportunity to capture the most amazing pictures.
Along with a new main lodge, Mhondoro now also boasts a Luxury Family Villa. The villa will be perfectly suited for family or group accommodation as it will sleep a maximum of 6 guests and has its own kitchen, living room, dining room, gym and pool. It is fully serviced by its own staff, which includes a private game viewer and chef.
For those who want to indulge in ultimate relaxation or work up some sweat, the Spa & Gym are a treat. The team include two qualified and experienced beauty therapists. Guests with a taste for adventure also have the chance to spend the night outdoors and sleep under the stars, in the new Star Bed, which will be located away from the lodge, but safely tucked away in an elevated construction.
The Main Lodge has a large viewing sundeck where guests are welcome to bide away the time. The crystal clear swimming pool is blessedly cool and inviting on hot summer days under the African sun. The central dining room, bar, outdoor Boma, Spa and Gym are all situated in or around the Main Lodge and are easily accessible from the chalets. A nearby chalet houses a library and entertainment centre. Four luxuriously appointed private Villas, including the Presidential, two bedroomed Thlou Villa, are located along the ridge overlooking the waterhole and adjacent plains with the Waterberg Mountains in the distance. A maximum of 10 guests may stay at the lodge, ensuring personal attention and care from your hosts at all times. Each Villa has its own elegant sense of style and decor, designed to make you feel pampered, spoiled and special. The bedroom doors exit onto your private viewing sundeck where you can relax and watch Africa pass by below you.
The en-suite bathrooms have a choice of indoor shower, giant sized bath or a secluded outdoor shower where you can pelt yourself with steaming hot water. Dining is an experience at Mhondoro. Breakfasts, after your early morning game drive, are either full English breakfasts at the lodge or ‘bush breakfasts’ in the wild. Afternoon tea will be served shortly before your afternoon game drive. Three course dinners range from superb local cuisine served at the lodge’s dining room to braais served in the open air Boma around a wood fire under the African skies. Mhondoro boasts a wine cellar fully stocked with the best South African wines.
ACCOMMODATION OPTIONS AT MHONDORO SAFARI LODGE:
There are two Deluxe Suites at Mhondoro Safari Lodge. Both accommodate two guests and each has one bedroom with a bathroom and a private viewing deck overlooking the waterhole.
The Family Suite accommodates four guests. It has two bedrooms and because of its shared bathroom, dining and living areas, it’s the perfect accommodation for families with all facilities of the Main Lodge within a short walking distance.
The Honeymoon Suite offers the perfect romantic getaway. The building accommodates two guests and boasts one spacious bedroom with an en-suite bathroom.
The Executive Suite accommodates four guests and has two bedrooms, both with en-suite bathrooms. There is also an extra lounge area with a fireplace and a private viewing deck.
The Mhondoro Villa is perfectly suited for exclusive family or small group bookings of up to six guests. It has a magnificent master suite, and two additional en-suite bedrooms. Being set apart from, but within short walking distance of, the Main Lodge, every comfort has been taken care of through the luxury it offers. The ultimate in luxury and privacy, Mhondoro Villa is perfectly suited for exclusive family or small group bookings of up to six guests and where every desire has been anticipated in advance. The exclusivity of the Mhondoro Villa means that all meals and selected local drinks, a private heated pool, a private gym and yoga room, a private game viewing safari vehicle with personal ranger, a private chef, a private butler and housekeeping staff are all included. It accommodates six guests in stylish comfort and up to ten people can be accommodated for dining. It boasts a magnificent master suite and another two bedrooms, all with en-suite bathrooms. It is a completely private and exclusive lodge on its own, but if needed, access to all the facilities at the Main Lodge are within short walking distance.
- 2 Deluxe Suites (sleeps 2) with en-suite bedroom and private viewing deck
- 1 Family Suite (sleeps 4) with family lounge, dining area, 2 bedrooms with shared bathroom and private viewing deck
- 1 Executive Suite (sleeps 4) with lounge, fire place, 2 bedrooms each en-suite, jacuzzi and private viewing deck
- 1 Honeymoon suite (sleeps 2) with bedroom en-suite, private viewing deck with daybed & spa-pool
- Family Villa (sleeps 6) with 3 en-suite bedrooms, private pool, boma, gym and yoga room, guest laundry, private vehicle, guide, chef and houskeeping staff
About Welgevonden Game Reserve
Rolling wooded mountains cut by deep rocky ravines and majestic gorges make Welgevonden Private Game Reserve an evocative piece of Africa. Aptly meaning ‘well found’, this is a place of rare and rugged beauty, plentiful wildlife and prolific birdlife. Spectacular scenery and excellent game viewing make Welgevonden quite unlike anywhere else on earth. To visit here is to experience the spirit of true wilderness.
Welgevonden is home to over 50 different mammals, including the Big Five, and boasts one of the largest populations of white rhino on a private reserve anywhere in Africa. There are rare and unusual species too, such as brown hyena, aardwolf and aardvark – all best seen at night. The grassy plains abound with antelope from the largest eland to the diminutive duiker, and cheetah, lion and leopard are always close by. It is the diversity of habitat on the reserve that encourages such a wide range of wildlife as well as over 250 bird species, including rare blue cranes.
At 36 000 hectares in size, Welgevonden Private Game Reserve lies in the Waterberg plateau, just north of Johannesburg. Here guests enjoy unlimited traversing through the reserve and experience an environment where biodiversity conservation and game viewing are managed in harmony. Welgevonden protects a unique and special environment and the reserve’s management is deeply committed to on-going conservation research and development.
The evocative wilderness area offers an exclusive, intimate experience of the African bush with only a limited number of guests having access to the reserve at any one time. No private vehicles are permitted, which ensures minimal human impact and the ultimate wilderness experience. Historically, wildlife on the reserve has never been hunted so game viewing is always up close and personal. There is also ancient and delicate Bushman rock art on Welgevonden.
Welgevonden offers the discerning visitor something completely different. This is mountain Bushveld with rivers running through it and sweeping views to far horizons. It’s high altitude, temperate climate and being malaria free makes it worth a visit all year round. Welgevonden is certainly one of the finest places to watch wildlife, sense wilderness and touch the spirit of true Africa.
Waterhole/ Hide/ Riverfront Feature
- Full Spa
- Underground Waterhole Hide
- Spend the night outdoors and sleep under the stars in the new Star Bed
FROM JOHANNESBURG TO WELGEVONDEN GAME RESERVE
- Take the Highway North on the N1 past Pretoria East towards Pietersburg (Polokwane).When reaching the Kranskop Toll Plaza keep to the very left lane as to not miss the turn-off. Come off the N1 at the Kranskop Toll Plaza, turn left and head west straight through Modimolle (old Nylstroom) and Vaalwater. Do not deviate from the main road in either Modimolle or Vaalwater. Once in Vaalwater go straight through, do not turn right on the R33 towards Lephalale (old Ellisras) continue straight on the R517 towards Thabazimbi.
- Go straight pass the Total Garage & Spar at Zeederbergs complex on the left hand side – these are the last buildings in Vaalwater. The Welgevonden Main Gate is 26km from Vaalwater on the left hand side. The distance is approximately 270 km from Johannesburg and should take about 2½ to 3 hours.
Pick up time from the Main Gate of the Welgevonden is between 12h30 & 13h00 on the day of arrival.
On the day of departure the departure time from the lodge is at 11h00.