- Located in Gauteng’s only Big 5 Game Reserve,The Dinokeng Game Reserve, a mere 40-minute drive from Pretoria
- Lion, cheetah, elephant, buffalo, rhino and leopard roam freely in the 18,500 ha game reserve making it a spectacular big five game reserve within the borders of the Gauteng province.
- Big FiveYes
- Off RoadNo
- Camp FencedYes
- Child PolicyChildren of all ages welcome
- Cellphone SignalYes
- Malaria AreaNo
LocationDinokeng Game Reserve, Gauteng
40 minute drive from Pretoria
1.5 hour drive from Johannesburg / OR Tambo International Airport
18 x Standard Rooms (double/ twin/ single)
6 x Family Rooms
(24 rooms in total)
Rates & Special Offers
Deals By Date
- All rates are subject to availability.
- Proof of SA/SADC residency may be required at the time of booking or upon check-in at the lodge.
- Surcharges may apply on rates over peak holiday periods and long weekends.
- Unless otherwise stated, all rates listed are based on a minimum 2 night stay. Surcharges may apply for a 1 night booking.
- Rates quoted are only applicable to SA/SADC Residents and a copy of ID will be requested upon booking and check-in. Special Discounted rates for International Residents are available on request.
- Rates exclude the Dinokeng Conservation levy of R 80 per adult / R 50 per child, which is payable directly at the lodge and subject to change.
- Please request a single supplement from your BushBreaks consultant.
- Children of all ages are welcome.
- Last minute (book within 14 days) offer & Special rate for advance bookings: Children between 3 & 11 years of age pay 50% of the adult sharing rate when sharing with 2 adults.
- Children under the age of 3 years are regrettably not permitted on safari.
- Children between 3 & 11 years are permitted on safari at the sole discretion of the guide.
About Mongena Private Game Lodge
Mongena Game Lodge is conveniently situated 35 km from Pretoria on the N1, in the malaria free north–western section of the Big 5 Dinokeng Game Reserve, a mere 40 Minutes from Pretoria and 1.5 hour drive from OR Tambo International Airport and Johannesburg. Mongena Game Lodge offers a spectacular African Bush safari & game drive experience for local and international visitors.
Mongena Game Lodge offers accommodation in 24 air-conditioned en suite rooms (single, double/twin or family accommodation) positioned in beautiful indigenous landscaped gardens accommodating a total of 59 guests in sharing accommodation close to Pretoria. Each unit has a shower, coffee/tea making facilities, room safe, hairdryer, flat screen television set with satellite TV programmes and a room turn-down service at night. 6 of the 18 twin rooms and all 6 family rooms offer a bathroom with bathtub and shower.
All chalets are well positioned amidst rolling lawns and indigenous landscaping in close proximity to the Tshukudu breakfast restaurant, Kingfisher a la carte Restaurant, pool and Tshukudu bar area. The tame Zebra’s, Nyala’s and Springbucks residing in the main camp are delighting all guests with their presence and have become a favourite trademark of Mongena. The lodge also has a wheelchair friendly twin room with a paraplegic bathroom facility. Wifi is available at certain hotspots around the lodge.
TSHUKUDU RESTAURANT AND LAPA
Tshukudu Restaurant next to the Tshukudu lapa and bar is the home for Mongena’s renowned breakfast buffet where the Mongena chefs pull out all the stops to prepare a hot and cold breakfast buffet fit for the most discerning traveller. Freshly baked pastries round off the perfect feast.
DIVINE CUISINE AT KINGFISHER RESTAURANT
Indulge in a gourmet feast at the Kingfisher Restaurant whilst enjoying spectacular views overlooking the small dam at the main lodge and the surrounding plains of the Dinokeng Game Reserve.
The gourmet chefs at Mongena go out of their way to serve exquisite cuisine for any special occasion; from laidback a la carte Sunday lunches, birthday functions as well as intimate romantic dinners at Kingfisher Restaurant.
The diverse menu promises to please all palates, with its unique twist on local and international dishes.
Baby cots are available on request at an additional fee and baby feeding chairs are provided in the dining areas.
ACTIVITIES AT MONGENA PRIVATE GAME LODGE
BUSH SAFARI & GAME DRIVES
Experience the African bush with our qualified rangers and trackers on our well-maintained fleet of game safari vehicles. We offer 5 guided game drives per day during the summer months and 4 during the winter months (times vary according to season) taking you to the best lion, elephant, rhino, buffalo, cheetah and hippo sightings imaginable. Other species one can expect to see are Giraffe, Eland, Kudu, Impala, Zebra, Blue Wildebeest (Gnu), Red Hartebeest, Tsessebe, Waterbuck, Warthog, Black-backed Jackal, Crocodile, Ostrich, Aardwolf, Aardvark, Brown Hyena, Caracal, Serval, Porcupine, Genet (small-spotted and large-spotted) and the occasional Leopard.
Mongena safari vehicles are in a privileged position to be able to traverse over 6 000 hectares of indigenous bush vegetation increasing the chances of good animal sightings.
SUNSET CRUISE AND FISH EAGLE BOATHOUSE FUNCTION VENUE
Board the luxury boat for a sunset cruise and watch the sky turn to a romantic purple-blue whilst listening to the African Fish Eagle’s cry. Our boat docks at the Fish Eagle Boathouse Boma situated a mere 10-minutes drive from the main camp – an ideal venue for that special conference dinner, product launch, themed evening, spit braai birthday party, wedding or any group function with the upper deck providing breathtaking views over the indigenous bushveld.
CONFERENCE VENUE NEAR PRETORIA
Mongena is an ideally situated conference and team building venue in close proximity to the major centres, a 40 minute drive from Pretoria, and a 1.5 hour drive from Sandton, Johannesburg. It boasts 4 modern, up-market conference venues seating between 10 to 90 delegates with 2 of the venues overlooking the small dam and onto the plains of the Dinokeng Game Reserve. Each venue is air-conditioned for your comfort, and fully-fitted with State-of-the-art conference equipment, including data projectors, internet connectivity, and supreme Bose surround sound and in-table power sockets for laptops. A standby generator ensures professional execution and continuity of conference proceedings.
- Tea/Coffee making facilities
- Room Safe
- Flat screen TV with selected satellite channels
- Room turn-down service at night
About Dinokeng Game Reserve
The Dinokeng Game Reserve is the first free-roaming Big 5 game reserve in Gauteng next to an urbanized area. It is a private/public initiative for which planning and development started in the early 2000’s. It was officially opened on 22 September 2011 after the introduction of four of the Big 5. The last of the Big 5, the buffalo, were introduced in late 2012 and they have settled into the game reserve well.
The Dinokeng Game Reserve is situated near Hammanskraal, a mere 40 minutes from Pretoria and 1.5 hour easy drive from OR Tambo International Airport and Johannesburg. The Reserve is also the only game reserve in the Gauteng Province that houses the Big 5 (elephant, lion, rhinoceros, buffalo and leopard). It also boasts cheetah and brown hyena and a big variety of general plains game and giraffe.
With varying terrain and vegetation, ranging from bushveld to grassy floodplains and thornveld including the Mongena 28 ha lake and its surrounding wetlands supports browsing and grazing species that are best enjoyed either by a guided game drive with qualified rangers or via the Wilderness Way self-drive game route. Guests to the reserve will have the opportunity to view lion, elephant, buffalo, rhino, leopard, cheetah, giraffe, zebra, brown hyena, wildebeest, red hartebeest, tsessebe, eland, kudu, impala, waterbuck, ostrich, jackal, hippo, crocodile and over 300 bird species, including fish eagles, the endangered blue crane and a breeding pair of martial eagles.
- Take the N1 north to Polokwane from Johannesburg / Pretoria.
- Take the Hammanskraal/Boekenhoutskloof off ramp.
- Turn right after the off ramp.
- Go over the highway. Take the first tar road to the left (Rust de Winter rd.).
- Continue for about 10km,
- Mongena Game Lodge is located on the left side.