- Open to the Kruger National Park and playing host to Africa’s Big Five is Motswari Private Game Reserve – one of South Africa’s jewels nestled within the Timbavati Nature Reserve.
- Motswari house a fully-equipped conference facility for executives making use of the lodge for team-building, product launches and corporate getaways. There is also an internet hotspot available for those wishing to conduct business during their stay at the lodge.
- Giraffe’s Nest Hide sleep-outs in the Motswari Game Reserve – a private under-the-stars experience for two awaits. At this special location, overlooking the Xanatsi Dam, guests staying at Main Camp or Geiger’s Camp have the opportunity to be treated to a luxury tree-house sleep out, at an additional cost.
- Big FiveYes
- Off RoadYes
- Camp FencedNo
- Child PolicyChildren 6 years and older are welcome
- PoolYes - at the main area only
- Cellphone SignalYes
- Malaria AreaYes
LocationMotswari Private Game Reserve (Timbavati Nature Reserve)
6 hours by road from Johannesburg. Scheduled flight: Johannesburg – Hoedspruit Airport and 50 minute road transfer to the lodge. Scheduled flight: Cape Town – Hoedspruit Airport. Scheduled flight: Johannesburg / Cpt to Nelspruit (KMIA) Airport and approximately 2.5 hr road transfer to the lodge.
15 Suites at Motswari Main Camp
4 Suites at Geiger’s Camp
Rates & Special Offers
Deals By Date
IMPORTANT NOTICE: GEIGER’S CAMP IS OPEN, BASED ON AN EXCLUSIVE USE BASIS.
Please contact BushBreaks & More, for Self-catered or Catered options.
- All rates are subject to availability.
- Proof of SA residency may be required at the time of booking or upon check-in at the lodge.
- Surcharges and a minimum 3 night stay may apply on rates over peak holiday periods and long weekends.
- Special discounted rates for International guests are available on request.
- Unless otherwise stated, all rates listed are based on a minimum 2 or 3 night stay, dependent on travel dates. Surcharges may apply for a 1 night booking.
- Rates quoted are only applicable to South African Residents. Discounted rates for International Residents are available on request.
- The Timbavati Conservation Levy for SA Residents is R 100 per person per night for adults & children, which needs to be prepaid with the accommodation costs on confirmation of the booking. Subject to change without prior notice.
- The Timbavati Conservation Levy for International Guests is R 424 per person per night for adults & R 212 per child (under 12 years) per night, which needs to be prepaid with the accommodation costs on confirmation of the booking. Subject to change without prior notice.
- New: Rhino Disharmony Levy R 50 per person per stay. (Subject to change)
- Timbavati Gate Fee of R 210 per vehicle applies, based on a 4-seater vehicle, for self-drive guests, subject to change.
- 100% Single supplement will apply at Motswari Main Camp for single accommodation.
- Main Camp:
- Children 0 to under 6 years old are regrettably not allowed at Motswari due to safety regulations.
- Children in inter-leading rooms pay single occupancy rate for the room.
- Extra beds for children 6 -11 years can be arranged and are subject to availability. 1 extra bed per room on request basis only (subject to availability).
- SA Residents child rates are available on request. Please contact your BushBreaks Consultant.
- Main Camp:
- Children under 6 years of age may not participate in game drives and children aged 6 – 9 years may join game drives at the discretion of the guide.
- Persons should be 16 years or older for bush walks.
- Geiger’s Camp:
- Children under the age of 16 are only permitted when taking the camp as exclusive use.
- Children aged 6 – 9 years may join game drives at the discretion of the guide (applicable to Exclusive use only)
About Motswari Private Game Reserve
Motswari Game Lodge offers15 luxury-appointed en-suite bungalows, each with air-conditioning, all offering unrivalled bush views, guests enjoy a high level of comfort which complements the level of service excellence. The naturally-furnished interiors of each bungalow reflect the wonders of nature that exist just outside the windows. A fully-equipped conference facility for executives making use of the lodge for team-building, product launches and corporate getaways. There is also an internet hotspot available for those wishing to conduct business. There are two fully licensed bars, a swimming pool and a shop which promotes and sells carefully selected curios from the region. In addition there is a library available as well as an art gallery. Meals are taken either at a scenic location out on the trail with one of our highly-trained guides or in the lounge and, depending on the season, evenings can be spent dining in the bush or inside the Boma,
Geiger’s Camp can be booked individually or can also be used as an exclusive lodge for a group of people looking for an intimate experience with nature, while still enjoying the comfort of modern accommodation. The lodge comprises two stone houses boasting a total of four spacious en-suite bedrooms, a communal lounge area and a swimming pool. Views of the Nhlaralumi River are breathtaking, and the wrap-around patio is the perfect place for a cold gin and tonic.
- En-suite bedrooms
About Timbavati Game Reserve
Motswari Game Reserve lies in the heart of the untamed South African landscape. A place untouched that is still teeming with wildlife, where predator and prey remain locked in a constant battle for survival. Here, there is an incomparable beauty – an Africa you have to experience.
Deep in the Timbavati Nature Reserve, this vintage game lodge exemplifies the simple balance of nature, as understated luxury and conservation come together as one.
This inspiring family-owned game reserve has been in the care of the Geiger family for more than 40 years. Motswari means ‘to conserve and protect’ in Tswana, a native language indigenous to the area.
The 150 square kilometre game reserve has long been a wildlife sanctuary, a haven for large varieties of plant and animal species. Sadly, few places remain on the African continent that still offer such diversity. Here, you will witness the unyielding nature of the bushveld, as you get to see the secret habits of animals as they live, day after day, in the Timbavati Nature Reserve.Close to the Blyde River Canyon and directly adjacent to the famous Kruger National Park, surrounded by pristine bushveld, lies Motswari Game Reserve.
The open boundaries allow the wildlife to move freely across the land – a decision supported by like-minded land owners in decades past. The boundary fences were removed to promote the natural movement of the animals on the reserve in 1992, uniting the government owned Kruger Park, and privately owned Timbavati. Now the animals enjoy uninterrupted wilderness that covers over 35,000 square kilometres, an area larger than Belgium.
Here, on the dry expanse of the African bushveld, you’ll experience the Big 5 – living naturally and without human interference.
The lion, elephant, buffalo, leopard and rhino are just some of the highlights you’ll see in Motswari Game Reserve’s open-top safari tour. All of the safaris are led by experienced game rangers, who have in-depth knowledge of the indigenous flora and fauna that has existed in the reserve for centuries. These game rangers are passionate about nature conservation, and educating guests on the bush and its inhabitants. The game reserve’s conservationists are dedicated to responsible tourism and environmental management, striving to minimize the impact on the wildlife’s natural habitat and the carbon footprint.
Motswari Tented Camp Walking Safari Sleep Out Experience!
PLEASE NOTE – THE MOTSWARI WALKING SAFARI TENTED CAMP IS CURRENTLY NOT OPERATIONAL UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE.
- Morning & evening game drives in open 4 x 4.
- Mid morning bush walks in lieu of morning game drive guided by armed field guides.
- Overnight bush hiking and camping sleep-out experience for groups of 4 with experienced guides. (On request and subject to availability)
JOHANNESBURG to MOTSWARI PRIVATE GAME RESERVE
From Johannesburg travel east on the N12 which leads past Benoni, eMahlaleni (Witbank) and Middelburg. Follow the signs and turnoff at eMakhazeni (Belfast). Turn right on R540 road through eMnotweni (Dullstroom), following signs onwards through Mashishing (Lydenburg) and Ohrigstad. Proceed on the R36 over the Abel Erasmus Pass to Marulaneng (Hoedspruit) (signs read Tzaneen en route). You will enter Marulaneng (Hoedspruit) on the R527. In Marulaneng (Hoedspruit) proceed through the 4-way stop and go over the small bridge. At the intersection turn right onto the R40 towards White River. Continue for 7km and then turn left at the Eastgate Airport sign onto the Timbavati Road (Your mobile phone is unlikely to have a signal from here) You will be required to stop at the entrance to the Timbavati Private Game Reserve gate, where you will pay R120 (subject to change) toll for your vehicle and please switch off any GPS you may be using. You are now in the Greater Kruger National Park! Motswari is about 43km from the gate and the journey takes about an hour. Although the road is tarred, drive carefully (50 km/h speed limit) and expect to see wild animals. Stay in your vehicle! 1km after passing Ingwelala on your right (large thatched entrance) look out for the Motswari sign. Turn right and follow the Motswari signs for the remaining 4km.