- We are in a malaria free reserve.
- Stunning views of the water hole.
- Small intimate lodge with only 16 guests maximum, however, due to Covid-19 safety protocols, a maximum of 12 guests are currently allowed in the lodge at a time.
- Big FiveYes
- Off RoadYes
- Camp FencedYes
- Child PolicyAll ages welcome
- PoolYes - at the main area only
- SPAIn-room Massages
- Cellphone SignalYes
- Malaria AreaNo
LocationMadikwe Game Reserve
Approximately 4 hours by road from Johannesburg.
One hour by air charter from O. R. Tambo International Airport (Johannesburg).
5 Luxury Bush Villas
1 Luxury Family Villa – 6 sleeper (self catering optional)
Rates & Special Offers
Deals By Date
- All rates are subject to availability.
- Proof of SADC residency may be required at the time of booking or upon check-in at the lodge.
- Surcharges may apply on rates over peak holiday periods and long weekends.
- Unless otherwise stated, all rates listed are based on a minimum 2 night stay. Surcharges may apply for a 1 night booking.
- Rates quoted are only available to South African Residents. Special discounted rates for International Residents are available on request.
- Gate Fees to be paid directly at the Lodge: R 180.00 per adult per stay & R 80.00 per child (under 12 years) per stay. For guests flying in, the gate fees are R 240.00 per adult per stay and R 150.00 per child per stay. (Subject to change)
- A Madikwe Guest Conservation Contribution Fee of R 165 per adult per night & R 82.50 per child per night applies. The fees are subject to change and are to be settled at the lodge direct.
- There will be a supplement of 50% on the per person rate for single accommodation.
- Children of all ages are welcome.
- Children under 4 years will stay free of charge.
- Children aged 5 – 14 years will pay 50% of the adult rate per night when sharing with 2 adults.
- Children aged 6 years and older are permitted on drives at the discretion of the game ranger.
- Please note children under the age of 6 years will not be permitted on game drives.
- Babysitting is not currently available due to Covid-19 protocols and safety measures. This means that a parent must stay behind during game drives if children are below the game drive age.
About Motswiri Private Safari Lodge
Motswiri Private Safari Lodge is situated in the heart of the world-renowned Madikwe Game Reserve. This 75 000 ha reserve bordering Botswana is malaria-free and is home to the “Top Ten” major mammals, including the Big 5, over 400 species of birds and extensive plains game. The lodge lies hidden in the bush, an exclusive lodge offering an intimate bush experience which is impossible to replicate in larger concerns. The lodge offers some of the best views in Madikwe as well as the feeling of tranquility given by the mature trees (mostly leadwoods) under which the main building and 5 luxury bush villas nestle. An intimate homely setting offering complete privacy.
Motswiri offers true 5 star accommodation with each bush villa affording stunning views from private decks and large sliding bedroom and bathroom doors. All Motswiri bush lodge villas have air-conditioning, ceiling fans, gas fireplaces, bathrooms en suite, beautifully appointed bathrooms and outdoor rock showers. The design has been to blend the interiors creating the blend of space and the bush utilising the retractable doors and windows. In addition to the 5 bush villas there is a family unit that consists of a lounge area, a kitchenette, 3 en-suite bedrooms, a private plunge pool and private boma area.
The exquisitely appointed main lodge overlooks a waterhole frequented by elephant families and other big game, enjoy this scenery from the bar or the rim flow pool on the wrap around viewing deck, have a cocktail under the shade of the Leadwood trees on the main deck or just while away the day in the outside lounge and bar area occasionally mustering up the energy to view the game at the waterhole. Fine cuisine served in the dining room, under the Leadwoods or around a roaring fire in the boma, washed down with fine wine from the well stocked cellar ends each spectacular day.
Motswiri offers the option of either individual bookings or exclusive use of the lodge. The lodge is ideal for corporate, family/friend groups of up to 10 who do not wish to share the facilities with outsiders. Itinerary´s and daily events can be tailored to meet your or your groups specific needs. Special arrangements can be made for up to 8 guests to be accommodated in separate rooms should this be more acceptable for corporate groups.
About Madikwe Game Reserve
Herman Charles Bosman has woven many a tale about Abjaterskop and the Marico River . It is perhaps he that best describes the vast area where enselsberg rise from the savannahs and an area that is given life from the Marico River . This is the malaria free Madikwe Game Reserve, 75 000 hectares of unique topography and breathtaking beauty, it is also the home to the big 5, wild dog, cheetah and a large variety of mammal and bird life.
This 75 000 hectare reserve is situated in the North-West province of South Africa , on the border with Botswana . The large diversity of vegetation and ecozones allows for a rich diversity of game and bird species to inhabit the reserve.
HISTORY OF THE RESERVE
The reserve was proclaimed in August 1991, but officially became the estate of the North-West Parks Board on the 31 October 1991.
The reserve is one of very few in the world that was proclaimed purely on the grounds of it being the most appropriate sustainable land use for the area in which the reserve lies. Studies done through independent consultants clearly showed that wildlife-based tourism would be the most beneficial option for an area that was in an economic depression. The vision for Madikwe was to have a joint venture run by the North-West Parks Board, private investors and the local communities living in the surrounding area. The reserve has now become a role model for many similar ventures country wide due to the successes achieved within the reserve.
Prior to the park being proclaimed, work had already begun on clearing derelict farm buildings, fencing, and a number of alien plant species.
The park has a number of old buildings that were spared from demolition and now serve as The Parks Board headquarters. There were other game scout outposts built to house game scouts and other reserve staff. The perimeter was fenced with approximately 150km of electric game fencing, which is electrified to prevent the escape of the larger game species. In the park local business and labour was used to demolish buildings, erect fences and to construct roads, dams and lodges.
- From the OR Tambo International Airport, take the R21 towards Pretoria and at the intersection head north on the N1 towards Polokwane & the N4 Toll Road
- Once past Pretoria, turn onto the N4 Toll road towards Rustenburg, Swartruggens, Groot Marico and Zeerust
- Please stay on the N4 – do not follow GPS as it might take you on alternative gravel roads which are not very well signposted.
- Please approach Motswiri from the main Zeerust/Gabarone road (R49) and enter through the Wonderboom Gate.
- Do not approach Motswiri from the Sun City side of the Reserve by attempting to enter the Reserve through the Moletedi Gate as the chances of getting lost are high and the time taken will be far longer as you will have to travel through the Reserve on a main road and then exit and re-enter the Reserve through Wonderboom Gate.
- Once in Zeerust turn right at the 4th stop street into “President Street”. There is a signpost on the left that says “Madikwe Game Reserve/Gaberone” and a ABSA Bank on the corner to the left.
- Follow the R49 (R47 occasionally) towards the reserve for approximately 91km
- The first entrance to the reserve is Abjaterskop Gate
- Pass that gate and enter at the next gate – Wonderboom Gate, exactly 7km from the first gate on your right-hand side.