- Situated on St Lucia Lake, a beautiful world heritage site
- Wooden chalets overlooking St Lucia Lake, the largest estuarine lake in Southern Africa
- The only privately owned lodge on the northern banks of the lake, so there are literally no other boats on the lake
- Ferry boat transfers in and out of the lodge provide an island feel
- Excellent birding and boat experiences
- Large open plan bar and dinning area overlooking St Lucia Lake.
- Unspoilt sand forest to explore on foot, by bike, quad bike or open game viewer.
- Lakeside Spa and a range of outdoor and nature activities
- Big FiveNo
- Off RoadN/A
- Child PolicyAll Ages Welcome
- Cellphone SignalVodacom Prominent
- Malaria AreaYes - Low Risk
- Wheelchair FriendlyYes
- Back-up PowerGenerator
LocationKwa Nibela Peninsula on St Lucia Lake, Hluhluwe
3 hours 40 minutes drive from King Shaka International Airport, Durban (KZN).
8 hour drive from Johannesburg.
1 x Deluxe Chalet (2 adults only)
10 x Double/Twin rooms (2 adults and 1 child sharing)
Rates & Special Offers
Deals By Date
- All rates are subject to availability
- Proof of SADC residency may be required at the time of booking or upon check-in at the lodge
- Surcharges may apply on rates over peak holiday periods and long weekends.
- Unless otherwise stated, all rates listed are based on a minimum 2 night stay. Surcharges may apply for a 1 night booking.
- Rates quoted are only applicable to SA Residents. Discounted special offers for International Residents are available on request.
- PLEASE NOTE: Nibela Lake Lodge has a generator as back-up when load shedding is in progress. A Generator Levy of R 50 per Chalet per day, subject to change, applies to ensure that electrical services remain uninterrupted. Charges come into effect when experiencing power outages from Stage 3 upwards and are to be settled at the lodge direct.
- Single accommodation rates are available on request. Please contact your BushBreaks consultant for a quote.
- Children of all ages are welcome at Nibela Lake Lodge.
- Children 0 – 2 years are accommodated at no charge.
- Children 3 – 11 years sharing with 2 full paying adults charged at 50% of the adult rate.
- Children 12 years and older will be charged full adult rates.
- Children of all ages are welcome on nature drives at Nibela Lake Lodge.
About Nibela Lake Lodge
Situated on Lake St Lucia and surrounded by KwaZulu-Natal’s iSimangaliso Wetlands Park near Hluhluwe, Nibela Lake Lodge is ideally located to deliver a nature-based holiday with a difference for the whole family.
Few lodges can say that they are located on the cusp of a World Heritage Site. This area is blessed by the waters of Lake St. Lucia, an estuarine lake system which sustains an abundance of birds and wildlife which proves that you don’t have to make your way to the Kruger to see it all.
Nibela Lake Lodge is easily accessible from Durban. The relaxing drive to the resort is part of the experience as you pass stunning coastal views and waving isiZulu children from the roadside villages.
Once you arrive, you’ll be rewarded with your own private haven in beautifully appointed timber chalets with private balconies and lakeside views, not to mention the background cheer of birds from the surrounding canopy of trees.
The main lodge offers an outdoor viewing deck, an ideal spot for sundowners served just before dinner at our Lakeview Restaurant. Our menu offers continental breakfasts, three-course dinners and comfort food like pizzas and crispy chips. Our colourful milkshakes are a hit with the kids, while our ice-cold beers keep our older guests refreshed and relaxed.
Deluxe Chalet has a four poster king sized extra length bed and en suite bathroom with a shower and toilet. It also features an outdoor shower and bath that overlook the lake. This chalet sleeps a maximum of 2 adults
DBL/TWIN Chalet has one king size extra length double bed (can be split to 2 X 3/4 twin beds) and an ensuite bathroom with a shower and toilet. It sleeps a maximum of two adult guests and 1 child sharing on a camp bed or cot.
- Air con
- Ceiling fan
- Stocked mini bar
- Complimentary tea and espresso machine
- Complimentary filtered water
- Linen and bath towels
- Luxurious four poster Mosquito nets
- Dressing room
- High speed Wi-Fi
- Private viewing deck
- Swimming towels
- Swimming pools
- Children’s play area
- Kids programme during school holidays
- Guided excursions
- Recreation and games
- Spa facilities
- Guest lounge
- Curio shop
- Laundry service
- Bush boma
- Intimate wedding venue (pax 50)
- High speed Wi-Fi throughout
Nibela Bush Spa:
- Full body massages
Guided Quad Bike Excursions:
- Adventure trail
- Enduro trail
- Baby trail
Boating on St Lucia Lake:
- Fishing trip
- Hippo & crocodile cruise
- Sunset cruise
- Nibela/Sobhengu birding tour
- Nibela/Sobhengu night drive
- Village tour
- Wetlands expedition
- Hluhluwe iMfolozi Big 5 drive (external)
- Nature drive with private picnic
- Birding/day walk
- Night walk
- Mountain bike hire
- Fishing rod hire
- Putt Putt
- Nature trails
- Mountain bike trails
About iSimangaliso Wetland Park
Lake St Lucia is the largest estuarine lake in Southern Africa, covering an area of approximately 350 square kilometres, and falls within the iSimangaliso Wetland Park. Nibela Lake Lodge is the only privately owned lodge on the Northern Banks of the Lake.
Lake St Lucia is rich in fauna, flora, hippos and crocodiles and boasts over 400 bird species.
The Isimangaliso park was named a world heritage site because of the rich biodiversity, unique ecosystems and natural beauty occurring in a relatively small area. Animals occurring in the Isimangaliso park include elephant, leopard, black and southern white rhino, Cape buffalo, and in the ocean, whales, dolphins, and marine turtles including the leatherback and loggerhead turtles.
The park is also home to crocodile, hippopotami and African lion.
- Hluhluwe iMfolozi Big 5 Game Reserve
- Sodwana Bay Beach
- St Lucia Town and Beach
- Mkhuze Game Reserve
- Emdoneni Cheetah project
- Ilala Weavers
- The Brewery beer tasting and restaurant
- Zulu Croc
- Dumazulu Traditional Village
- Cape Vidal
DIRECTIONS FOR SELF DRIVE:
• Follow the route through Bethal, Ermelo, Piet Retief and then through Pongola, taking the N2 southbound to Hluhluwe.
• Take the Hluhluwe offramp.
• Follow the N2 northbound to Hluhluwe.
• Take the Hluhluwe offramp.
Once in Hluluwe you have an option to drive or go via the ferry. A 4×4 vehicle is preferable for the drive. The ferry ride takes 30 to 45 minutes.
• Please note that the Engen garage is the last petrol station, so we advise you to fill up your car.
• Travel through Hluhluwe, at the fourth traffic circle turn left, then travel 1.5km and turn right on the R22 Sodwana Road, crossing over the railway. From the railway tracks travel straight for 25.4km.
• There will be a brown road sign saying Nibela Lake Lodge, turn in 500m. IGNORE THIS SIGN AS THE ROAD IS FLOODED!
• Continue on the R22 until you see a brown sign on right for Ezimbondweni clinic and a green sign for district road L683 (on google maps this road is A1204). Turn RIGHT onto the dirt road. Keep on this main road- do not turn off onto any smaller roads until you reach an intersection where you will turn right onto the D2491.
• There is also a small sign for Bangizwe Primary school on this junction. The road you turn right onto is A1115 on google maps. This road will take you south directly to the Lodge.
• Please note that you are now travelling through a tribal area, please be aware of livestock on the road and schools in the area. Animals are unpredictable. Please slow down when passing people and animals on the road. It is advisable to only travel at 60km/h.
• At the gate, make use of the intercom or call the Lodge. Gates will be locked from 22:00 to 05:00 daily. Once inside the property, please follow the signs to reception for check-in at Nibela and receive your keys and instructions to your unit.
DIRECTIONS TO THE FERRY TRANSFER:
Once in Hluhluwe:
• Travel through Hluhluwe, at the fourth traffic circle turn left, then travel 1.5km and turn right on the R22 Sodwana Road, crossing over the railway. From the railway tracks travel straight for 7km.
• There will be a brown road sign saying False Bay Resorts turn right here onto the P414.
• After 3.7km turn left onto the D540- following the signs for False Bay Resorts.
• Turn Right into False Bay and report to gate.
• Through the gate follow the signs to the main office for False Bay.
• Day Visitors to park at the Main office.
• Overnight guests to meet representative of the Lodge to unpack onto the ferry and be directed to parking.
• Please ensure you close your windows and lock your doors.
• Remove everything from the vehicle that you may need for your holiday.
• The ferry trip is 40 min long, the boat has cooldrinks and water available please note that any drinks consumed will be charged to your account on arrival.
• Please phone +27 (0)71 100 8886 should you get lost along the way or for arrivals after 21:30.
• Please phone if you do not think you will make the scheduled pick-up time. The ferry may not be able to wait and a private transfer will need to be arranged at an additional cost.
• Please have cash available for False Bay Entry Fee’s. Rates are available on below link https://isimangaliso.com/usefulinformation/parkentry-fees/
• We recommend you check your route on google maps before leaving home.
• The dirt road travel is 26kms.
• Once on road A1115 keep driving south. We are situated right at the end of road A1115.
Rooms Found, Nights, 2 Adults