- An excellent value for money on special offer safari bush experience, stunning luxury tented accommodation on the banks of the Komati River.
- Roughly 30 km of Komati River running through the reserve – this lends itself for great fly fishing experience.
- A “glamping” experience only a mere 3 hour drive from Johannesburg in a malaria free game reserve.
- Private expansive teak sun decks with private plunge pool and Victorian outdoor bath
- Big FiveBig 4 (no Rhino)
- Off RoadYes
- Camp FencedYes
- Child PolicyNo children under 6 years allowed
- PoolYes - Private Plunge Pool (not heated)
- SPAFull Spa
- AirconFans Only
- Cellphone SignalLimited
- Malaria AreaNo
LocationNear Barberton, Mpumalanga
3 hour drive from Johannesburg traveling on the N4 towards Witbank and Machadodorp.
6 Deluxe Tents – have Reserve/River views.
6 Luxury tents – have views on the river
2 Family Tents – accommodates 2 adults & 2 children
Rates & Special Offers
Deals By Date
- All rates are subject to availability.
- Proof of SADC residency may be required at the time of booking or upon check-in at the lodge.
- Surcharges and a minimum 3 night stay may apply on rates over peak holiday periods and long weekends.
- Special discounted rates for International guests are available on request.
- Unless otherwise stated, all rates listed are based on a minimum 2 night stay. Surcharges may apply for a 1 night booking.
- Rates quoted are only applicable to South African Residents. Discounted special rates for International Residents are available on request.
- A Conservation Levy of R 275 (2021) & R 305 (2022) per person per night applies. Subject to change and to be settled at the Lodge direct.
- Single accommodation rates are available on request. Please contact your BushBreaks consultant.
- Children aged 0 – 5 years are regrettably not allowed at Nkomazi due to safety regulations.
- The new Family Tents will need to be used should there be 1/2 children traveling with 2 adults (maximum 2 adults & 2 children 6 – 11 years OR 4 adults)
- One child is able to share with 1 adult in a Deluxe Tent. Child rates are available on request.
- No child/children under the age of 12 may occupy a tent without an adult.
- Children aged 6 – 9 years may join game drives at the discretion of the guide.
- Persons should be 16 years or older for bush walks.
About Nkomazi Tented Lodge
A destination of outstanding scenic beauty and history, Nkomazi Game Reserve, known as the “place of water” and often referred to the holy grail of geology, closely situated to picturesque town of Barberton, in the malaria-free escarpment of Mpumalanga has opened its wilderness to all who choose to enjoy it’s luxurious sense of age-old life of Africa. This region has been restored to a wildlife haven, where great natural beauty and 3.7 billion years of history meet. The reserve represents a kaleidoscope of Africa’s habitat in its ability to support both Highveld and lowveld game on the high-lying grassland and low-lying bushveld, supporting an ecological balance.
Furthermore, Nkomazi offers protection to the oldest fossils of life on earth and preserves vast tracts of grasslands, the biome that is recognized today as the most threatened in the world. Nkomazi is an ecological Aladdin’s Cave of natural science, from its towering ancient mountains to its broad river valleys and impressive grasslands. It is blessed with interesting geomorphic features, the first ancient river valleys, potholes and many other natural wonders.
The reserve lies partly within a rugged tract of land famous worldwide as the Ancient Barberton Mountain land, and partly in the grasslands of the Great Komati River Valley. The Barberton Mountain land has a plant biodiversity higher than that of the entire Kruger National Park and second only in South Africa to the Cape Fynbos and succulents. It is home to the well known Protea, South Africa’s national flower. This escarpment is regarded by many as the true symbol of Africa – the real Africa with its vivid scenic beauty, dramatic landscapes, thunderstorms, rolling savannah, bushveld, wildlife in a relaxed atmosphere with a fascinating cultural history. Here, plateau and valley, mountain and savannah, water and soil, weave together a world in which so many kinds of life prosper in harmony.
Nature lovers will share in the many wonders of Nkomazi – its diversity and habitat, its natural beauty and major geological finds. Here guests can take part in a range of discoveries leading from one natural wonder to the next.
Watch the sun over the Northern Eastern Boundaries of the Reserve during a morning game drive or take in the spectacular view from lookout points among the rocky granite sentinels in the highlands of the Reserve. Rapids and rock pools are impressive, while rolling grasslands support herds of free roaming wildlife, making Nkomazi a wilderness viewing haven.
- King sized bed
- Comfort cooling/heating
- International plugs
- Tea and coffee making facilities
- En-suite bathroom with indoor and outdoor shower
- Outdoor bath & shower
- Bathrobes & slippers
- Private minibar
- Electronic safe
- HairdryerPrivate sun decks with private plunge pool
- Guided nature walks. No persons allowed under the age of 16 (R 350.00 per person, subject to change)
- Bird watching
- Star gazing
- Fly fishing (R 350 per person, subject to change)
- Wedding services
- Child minding service is available on request and can arranged at an additional cost
- Enjoy getting pampered in the River Retreat Spa
Take the N4 Towards Witbank, then turn right towards Machadodorp (R36). Drive 550 m and continue onto Molen St 600m. Turn left onto Potgieter St (Barberton and Badplaas). Continue for 2km on this road – it will become the R541. Continue for 48.5 km and you will get to a T-Junction. Turn right towards Badplaas on to the R38. Continue 4,7km over the Seekoeispruit River. Turn left onto R541, Lochiel/Mbabane and continue for 13.8 km. Turn left towards Tjakastad and continue approximately 7 km. Drive past the 1st gate and continue towards the second gate marked, Main Gate/Grand valley Gate. The entrance will be on your left hand side.
Head South along the R40 towards Barberton. Before you arrive in the town of Barberton turn right onto the R38, marked Carolina. Turn left onto the R541 to Lochiel and continue along for 13.8 km. Turn left towards Tjakastad and continue along the road for 7 km. The entrance will be on your left hand side.
No private vehicles are allowed on the reserve therefore guests are transferred from the Welcome Lounge (situated at the Main/Grand Valley gate) to the lodge. Arriving guests will be picked up from the Welcome Lounge at 14h30. Departing guests will depart the lodge at 10h00 to arrive back at the Welcome Lounge at 10h20. Transfers at alternative times will be charged at an additional fee. Road transfers can be arranged at an additional cost with reservations.