- Set in the heart of Timbavati Private Nature Reserve, adjacent to the famous Kruger National Park, RockFig Safari Lodge is well situated for forays into the African wilds county.
- RockFig Safari Lodge features just six chalet-type suites, with each suite featuring both indoor and outdoor showers, a private verandah ideal for romantic candlelit dinners under the African stars, a minibar and a bath.
- Game drives rank among the quintessential Timbavati experiences, and the guides and trackers at RockFig Safari Lodge pride themselves on providing incredible, safe but close wildlife encounters.
- Big FiveYes
- Off RoadFor Big Five sightings only
- Camp FencedYes
- Child PolicyChildren of all ages welcome
- SPASpa treatments available on request
- Cellphone SignalYes
- Malaria AreaYes
- WI-FI FriendlyYes
LocationTimbavati Private Nature Reserve, Greater Kruger National Park
By Road: 5.5 hour drive from Johannesburg &45 min drive from Hoedspruit
By Air, via Hoedspruit: Daily flights between Johannesburg/Cape Town and Hoedspruit. Road transfers from Hoedspruit to lodge can be arranged on request.
By Air Direct: Scheduled charters by Federal Air to Rockfig Safari Lodge (Timbavati Nature Reserve).
6 x Luxury Suites
Rates & Special Offers
Deals By Date
SELF-CATERING EXCLUSIVE USE OF LODGE RATES, FOR SADC RESIDENTS, ARE AVAILABLE ON REQUEST – VALID UNTIL 31 AUGUST 2021
- All rates are subject to availability.
- Proof of SADC residency may be required at the time of booking or upon check-in at the lodge.
- Surcharges a minimum 3 night stay may apply on rates over peak holiday periods and long weekends.
- Unless otherwise stated, all rates listed are based on a minimum 2 night stay. Surcharges may apply for a 1 night booking.
- Rates quoted are only applicable to SADC Residents. Special discounted rates for all other International Residents are available on request.
- All rates exclude the following:
- Timbavati Conservation Levy: R 424 per adult per night & R 212 per child per night (6 – 16 years). No levy is charged for children 0 – 5 years. Levy needs to be pre-paid with the accommodation costs on confirmation of the booking and the costs are subject to change without prior notice.
- Gate Entrance Fee of R 210 per vehicle for self-drive guests. Payable at the gate and subject to change.
- A single supplement of 50% applies to all rooms.
- Children of all ages are welcome.
- Children aged 0 – 5 years sharing with 2 adults will stay free of charge.
- Children aged 6 – 16 years sharing with 2 adults will be charged 50% of the adult sharing rate per night.
- Open safari vehicles are shared between guests with a maximum of six guests per vehicle.
- Children are permitted on the game drives at the discretion of the Lodge Manager & Ranger.
- Exclusive use vehicles may be allocated to families and group bookings subject to family / group size and availability of game drive vehicles. (Not guaranteed)
About Rockfig Safari Lodge
The lodge features just six chalet-type suites, making it ideal for exclusive bookings for families or a group of friends. The elements of the reserve come through strongly in each room inspired by the purple and green hues of local birds and plants. Each suite expresses comfort and luxury by featuring both indoor and outdoor showers, a private veranda ideal for romantic candlelit dinners, a mini bar and bath. The aim is always to delight the guests but also an unmissable sense that it’s the natural beauty of the Timbavati bushveld that is the true hero.
Meals at Rockfig Safari Lodge let you experience the various flavours of Timbavati. With so many styles of dining on offer, from informal to the bushveld equivalent of silver service, to the plentiful venues throughout the lodge in which to enjoy them, no two meals are the same. If you are sharing the experience with your partner, opt for private dining on your veranda, if you have brought your kids let them watch the food being prepared in the kitchen. Alternatively, join your guide and fellow connoisseurs at a long table and share stories into the evening.
Game drives rank among the quintessential Timbavati experiences, and the guides and trackers at Rockfig Safari Lodge pride themselves on providing incredible, safe but close wildlife encounters. This is Big Five country, and the Rockfig trackers hail from the area enabling them to put their local knowledge to work to ensure the best possible viewing opportunities. Being out on safari is not just about the game, it is also a chance to appreciate the beauty of the area while stopping to enjoy a morning coffee or a sundowner in an especially scenic spot. Guided walking safaris are also a wonderful way to experience the Timbavati.
The story of Rockfig has been some 20 years in the making. It began with a family falling in love with the lowveld during the mid-1990’s and many holidays later saw them purchase the farm in Timbavati that would become the grounds for the luxury South African safari lodge. Rockfig got its name from a member of the Big Five during a game drive on the newly purchased land. The family came across an unusually relaxed female – she seemed entirely unconcerned by their arrival on her turf, gazing at them impassively from the fork of a large tree. Her name, and that of her arboreal perch, were the same. A destination that’s as striking, beautiful and welcoming as this legendary leopard herself.
Spending time in Timbavati (30 000 acres of wilderness adjoining the iconic Kruger National Park) is always a nourishing experience, and this is reflective in the layout of the indoor areas at the lodge, just as much as in the menus with their emphasis on the locally grown ingredients. The open-plan kitchen is a favourite with children, who love to sit at the counter and watch their meals being prepared. The fireplace in the lounge is divine on a winters evening and subtle touches of opulence are throughout, including the chandelier which hangs above a 4m long table, which is perfect for shared meals and safari stories. Furniture is commissioned from local artisans, while the colours take inspiration from the Rockfig tree and the areas lichen spotted rocks.
About Timbavati Game Reserve
Timbavati Nature Reserve shares a common unfenced border with the Kruger National Park allowing animals free range and ensuring guests to the area the opportunity to view the greatest diversity of wildlife that Africa has to offer. View the big game from open vehicles, on foot or from the comfort of your room as you experience timeless Africa.
Escape from the grind of daily life and succumb to the tranquil wilderness of the Timbavati Nature Reserve in the South African Lowveld. Here you can view the Big Five and other endangered species such as the Wild Dog and Cheetah in their natural environment. All the big game is here including rhino, elephants, buffalo, zebras, antelopes, as well as leopard, lion, hyena. Bird watching is good particularly during the rainy season.
– Proceed on the N12 East in the direction of Witbank/Emalaheni.From Pretoria
– Proceed on the N4 East in the direction of Witbank/Emalaheni.
- Continue towards Belfast/eMakhazeni on the N4.
- At the Belfast/eMakhazeni sign, turn left leaving the N4 and pass through the town.
- At the 2nd traffic light, turn right on the R540 and proceed towards Dullstroom 36km away.
- Pass through Dullstroom towards Lydenburg/Mashishing 57km further on.
- At Lydenburg/Mashishing, the R540 becomes the R36. Continue on the R36 for 52km towards Orighstad.
- Pass through Orighstad on the R36 and continue towards the Abel Erasmus Pass.
- Proceed through the J.G. Strydom tunnel towards Hoedspruit.
- Pass through Hoedspruit. At the 4th stop, turn right on the R40 towards Klaserie. Follow this road for 7-8km and turn left onto the Eastgate Airport / Timbavati Road.
- Proceed on for 500m to an access control gate, there will be no charge here.
- Proceed on for 18km to the Timbavati/Klaserie Control Gate. Entrance fee per vehicle is charged and paid at the gate.
- Travel along a tar road (sand sealed) road for 13,5km.
- Turn right at the signpost saying: Tanda Tula Bush Camp, Umlani Bush Camp, RockFig Safari Lodge.
- Proceed 30m and follow RockFig safari lodge signs. (+/- 800m until you get to the camp).