- Experience the extravagant elegance of rail travel on the most luxurious trains in the world. Rovos Rail’s unique train safaris through the heart of Africa combine magnificent scenery with the glamour and excitement of the golden age of rail.
- These beautifully rebuilt trains offer accommodation of the highest standard, combining the opulence of a bygone era with subtle modern innovations.
- Rovos Rail offers Luxury Train Travel & accommodation to Pretoria and Cape Town or vice versa, Durban, Victoria Falls, Dar es Salaam, Tanzania, Swakopmund – Namibia & Special departures to the Thornybush Game Reserve.
- Child PolicyChildren of all ages accepted however long journeys are not recommended for children under 13 years.
LocationPretoria, Cape Town, Durban Safari, Victoria Falls
Rates & Special Offers
Deals By Date
Special Discounted Rates & packages for the Deluxe & Royal Suites are available on request.
Special Discounted Rates for other journeys are available on request.
- All rates are subject to availability.
- Proof of SADC residency may be required at the time of booking or upon check-in at the lodge.
- Surcharges may apply on rates over peak holiday periods and long weekends.
- Rovos Rail & BushBreaks cannot be held liable for any delays due to trains not running according to schedule.
- Excursions are not guaranteed, but will be undertaken if time and circumstances permit.
- Departure and arrival times are approximate.
- Rovos Rail reserves the right to alter their routing any time, between departure and arrival points.
- The use of steam locomotives have become increasingly difficult over the years as more and more water and coaling facilities have been scrapped. Diesel or electric locomotives are used on all routes while the steam locomotive is used in and around the area of the Rovos Rail Station.
- Rates quoted are only applicable to South African Residents. Discounted special rates for International Residents are available on request.
- Rovos Rail no longer allows smoking in any of the suites. Guests may not smoke on the outside balcony of the observation car. Smoking is permitted in the Club Lounge only and smokers are requested to please be considerate towards non – smokers.
- There will be a 50% single supplement applicable to all suites for single accommodation.
- Children aged between 0 – 2 years are not permitted to travel.
- Children are accepted from 3 years of age, however long journeys are not recommended for children under 13 years.
- Rovos Rail does accommodate children but kindly request parents to be sensitive to the adult nature and atmosphere of the train by keeping them respectful and quiet.
- There are no child-minding facilities or activities available for children on board.
- A maximum of 2 guests sharing per suite/cabin are allowed. Should there be a child under the age of five, he / she will be allowed to share with 2 adults (in a Deluxe, Royal Suite only)
- Children aged 5 years and older should have their own suite / cabin (conditional). Should parents not feel comfortable with this option, one of the parents could then share with the child.
- Children aged 3 – 9 years pay 75% of the adult per person sharing rate.
- Children over 10 years are charged the full adult rate.
About Rovos Rail
Since its establishment in 1989, Rovos Rail has earned an international reputation for its truly world-class travel experiences. With discreet and friendly service, five-star cuisine and a selection of South Africa’s finest wines, Rovos Rail harks back to a simpler, more elegant era encompassing the timeless grace and high romance of African exploration. In a series of journeys lasting from 48 hours to 15 days, Rovos Rail links some of the sub-continent’s greatest destinations from Cape Town at its tip to Dar es Salaam in Tanzania, from scenic splendours as diverse as the game reserves of Mpumalanga to the Victoria Falls, from the desert landscapes in Namibia and the stark beauty of the Karoo to the lush cane fields of KwaZulu-Natal and the magnificent Garden Route along the Cape south coast. The trains – which may be hauled by diesel or electric locomotives – carry a maximum of 72 passengers in 36 superbly appointed suites and are also available for charter, while the Events Train caters for up to 250 guests and is suitable for daytime journeys.
General make-up of the train Locomotive, generator car, staff car, guest sleepers, a non-smoking lounge car (26 guests), two non-smoking 42-seat dining cars (if required, plenty of space for the maximum of 72 guests carried), kitchen car, guest sleepers, smoking lounge and Observation Car (32 guests) at the tail.
Cuisine Meals are served in one sitting only in the charming Victorian atmosphere of the dining cars and are complemented by a selection of fine South African wines. An enthusiastic team of chefs is responsible for overseeing the very important task of ensuring guests’ every need is catered for. There’s an accent on fresh local ingredients and traditional dishes such as game are a specialty. Breakfast is between 07h00 and 10h00, lunch at 13h00, tea at 16h30 and a formal dinner at 19h30. A gong heralds lunch and dinner. Tea is usually served at 16.30 in the midway Lounge Car or Observation Car at the rear end of the train.
Dress For days on the train dress is smart casual. Evening attire is more formal – for the gentlemen a jacket and tie is a minimum requirement while for ladies we suggest cocktail/evening dresses or suits. Please include warm clothing for cold mornings and evenings.
Mobile Devices and Internet In maintaining the spirit of travel of a bygone era, there are no radios or television sets on board. The use of mobile phones, laptops and essentially anything that has the ability to disturb other passengers is confined to the privacy of your suites only. The reception is poor while the train is moving.
Smoking is only allowed in the privacy of your suite and in the Club Lounge.
ROVOS RAIL SUITES
Pullman Suites are equipped with a comfortable sofa-seat during the day with a conversion to double or twin beds for the evening, and also have an en-suite bathroom with shower. The wood-panelled sleeper coaches, offer every modern convenience and comfort. In the en-suite bathrooms, original fittings combine with the modern technology of hot showers, hair dryers and shaver plugs. The suites are equipped with a writing surface and a personal safe for valuables. There is also a bar fridge filled with beverages of the passenger’s choice and room service is available 24 hours a day.
Deluxe Suites accommodate two passengers in either twin or double beds and have a lounge area and en-suite bathroom with shower. The wood-panelled rebuilt sleeper coaches, remodelled and refurbished to mint condition, offer every modern convenience and comfort. In the en-suite bathrooms, original fittings combine with the modern technology of hot showers, hair dryers and shaver plugs. The suites are equipped with a writing surface and a personal safe for valuables. There is also a bar fridge filled with beverages of the passenger’s choice and room service is available 24 hours a day.
Royal Suites, each of which take up half a carriage, are spacious and elegant. Each has its own private lounge area and full bathroom with Victorian bath and separate shower. The air-conditioned suites accommodate two people offering the option of side-by-side twin or spacious double beds. In the en-suite bathrooms, original fittings combine with the modern technology of hot showers, hair dryers and shaver plugs. The suites are equipped with a writing surface and a personal safe for valuables. There is also a bar fridge filled with beverages of the passenger’s choice and room service is available 24 hours a day.
ROVOS RAIL ITINERARIES & DESTINATIONS
|Pretoria-Cape Town: DAY 1 Pretoria D:11.00 DAY 2 Kimberley tour A:10.00 DAY 3 Matjiesfontein visit A:08.15; Cape Town A:18.00|Cape Town-Pretoria: DAY 1 Cape Town D:11.00; Matjiesfontein visit A:18.00 DAY 2 Kimberley tour A:14.30 DAY 3 Pretoria A:17.00
|Pretoria-Durban: DAY 1 Pretoria D:10.00 DAY 2 Nambiti game drive A:07.00; Spionkop game drive/battlefield visit A:15.00 DAY 3 Ardmore visit A:10.00; Durban A:16.00|Durban-Pretoria: DAY 1 Durban D:10.00; Ardmore visit A:15.00 DAY 2 Spionkop game drive/battlefield visit A:08.00; Nambiti game drive A:15.00 DAY 3 Pretoria A:16.00
|Pretoria-Victoria Falls: DAY 1 Pretoria D:10.00 DAY 2 On board DAY 3 Hwange game drive A:15.00 DAY 4 Victoria Falls A:10.00|Victoria Falls-Pretoria: DAY 1 Victoria Falls D:17.00 DAY 2 Hwange game drive A:06.00 DAY 3 On board DAY 4 Pretoria A:10.00
TAILOR MADE CHARTERS
Rovos Rail is proud to present the ideal combination for group and incentive charters in Southern Africa. Catering to a maximum of 80 passengers in the comfort and luxury associated with our product, we are able to construct exciting and practical itineraries to suit your available time and budget.
There are many permutations using Rovos Rail’s 44-bed or 72-bed train. From our headquarters in Pretoria, successful overnight trips from one to 10 days have been undertaken with incentive groups, historical tours, private family gatherings and bird shoots.
Within reason, and subject to availability, the chartered train can go wherever there is a railway line in Southern Africa.