- Riverdene Family Lodge situated in the Shamwari Private Game Reserve is surrounded by a wealth of natural beauty and overlooks the widespread bushveld of the Eastern Cape.
- This family friendly lodge located in a malaria free Big 5 game reserve has a welcoming ease and warmth making it the perfect place where families are always at home and where guests become friends.
- The Kids on Safari Programme is the perfect opportunity for kids to learn about wildlife whilst still having fun. Children can enjoy various outdoor activities, as well as indoor activities such as arts and crafts and a variety of toys and games.
- Big FiveYes
- Off RoadYes
- Camp FencedYes
- Child PolicyChildren of all ages are welcome
- PoolSwimming Pool
- SPAIn-room treatments available or at one of the other lodges
- Cellphone SignalYes
- Malaria AreaNo
- WI-FI FriendlyYes
LocationShamwari Private Game Reserve, Eastern Cape
The closest airport is Port Elizabeth & is about 60 minutes drive
Shamwari has a landing strip and air transfer from Port Elizabeth to Shamwari can be booked
9 x Luxury Suites
Rates & Special Offers
Deals By Date
IMPORTANT NOTICE: SHAMWARI RIVERDENE FAMILY LODGE IS CLOSED. THE PLANNED RE-OPENING OF THE LODGE IS ON 01 FEBRUARY 2022. (Subject to change)
- All rates are subject to availability.
- Proof of SA residency may be required at the time of booking or upon check-in at the lodge.
- Surcharges may apply on rates over peak holiday periods and long weekends.
- Special discounted rates for International guests are available on request.
- Unless otherwise stated, all rates listed are strictly based on a minimum 2 night stay. Surcharges may apply for a 1 night booking.
- Rates quoted are only applicable to South African Residents. Discounted special rates for International Residents are available on request.
- A minimum stay of 2 nights is mandatory over the festive period from 15 December � 15 January.
- Rates exclude a guest conservation levy of R 100 per person per night (subject to change). This must be settled at the lodge upon departure.
- There will be a single supplement of 30% on the per person rate for single accommodation.
- Children 0 to 3 years will be accommodated free of charge when sharing with adults.
- Children 4 to 11 years old pay 50% of the adult sharing rate. (Maximum 1 child extra per room)
- Children under the age of 4 are not permitted on game drives.
- Childminders are available at an additional cost.
About Shamwari Riverdene Family Lodge
At this lodge families and friends can enjoy sunsets under the expansive African sky, which will leave you and your loved-ones with memorable moments that will forever be treasured. Riverdene Family Lodge is known for its warm and welcoming service and is a place where families will feel at home and guests become friends.
The lodge offers elegant comfort particularly for families and provides many additional activities to entertain children of all ages. Children can engage in the “Kids on Safari” program which includes access to the Adventure Center and Kids Club and visits to the Wildlife Rehabilitation Center and Born Free Center.
The lodge is centered around one large open plan lounge, a bar with fireplace and dining room with in and outdoor seating.
The Luxury Suites
The nine inter-leading luxury suites can accommodate a maximum of 2 adults, sharing with 1 child. Out of these nine rooms, room 3 is a fully equipped wheelchair friendly suite. Children sharing with parents is subject to availability of sleeper couches and cots.
Each room is fully air-conditioned and feature a television, telephone & small lounge area with sleeper couch, en-suite bathroom and private veranda’s leading onto the landscaped gardens.
What experiences to look forward to
Whether you’re looking for an exhilarating outdoor adventure, or relaxing quality time with loved ones, Shamwari Private Game Reserve has something for you.
Enjoy Safari Game Drives guided by trained rangers, where you can experience wildlife interactions unlike any other during the morning and afternoon game drives plus experience fauna and flora indigenous to the Eastern Cape Region on a professionally guided bush walk.
The malaria-free area of the Eastern Cape is home to a host of beautiful birds, from tiny feathered friends to majestic birds of prey.
The Kids on Safari program allows children to learn about wildlife whilst still having fun.
With visits to the Born Free Foundation Big Cat Rescue Centre which focuses on promoting the conservation of species and the protection of habitat whilst maintaining a humane and compassionate approach to the welfare of animals.
While kids under the age of 4 years old are not permitted on game drives, there are a host of activities for them to enjoy.
At Riverdene there is a children’s coordinator, and for an additional fee, there are childminding services available.
Other activities include:
|Spa Treatments|Visits to Born Free|Wildlife Rehabilitation Centre|Kids Adventure Centre|Kids Club
About Shamwari Private Game Reserve
ABOUT THE RESERVE
Shamwari, meaning “my friend” in Shona, is the pinnacle of private game reserves and home to the coveted Big 5. Stretching over a vast, malaria free landscape, it offers an award-winning nature experience and is one of the largest private conservation initiatives in Southern Africa.
Shamwari is a place where guests can exist in harmony with nature, however fleeting the moment, where wildlife roam the landscape under the relentless African sun. Shamwari incorporates six lodges and one explorer camp; each one unique in its own essence. Lodges are designed in harmony with their surroundings where guests can experience nature in sublime comfort.
Shamwari Private Game Reserve is a malaria-free area, so one need not to worry about packing any preventative tablets or syrups, other than personal prescription medication.
To get the most out of your Eastern Cape visit, it is recommend that you pack the following items:
|Cameras, lenses and binoculars|Light clothing for summer safaris|Bathing suits for the pool areas|Comfortable walking shoes|Sunscreen and hats|Warmer clothing for night game drives and winter stays
Should you need anything else, there are gift boutiques on site.
- Game drives
- Walking Safaris
- Spa Treatments
- Visits to Born Free and Wildlife Rehabilitation Center
- Kids Adventure Center
- Kids Club
- Follow the N2 out of Port Elizabeth heading towards Grahamstown.
- Continue on the N2 until you reach a sign board for Shamwari Private Game Reserve and turn left towards Paterson on the R342.
- Travel 7 km up the gravel road and enter at the 2nd gate for the Welcome Lounge.