- Shepherds Tree Lodge lies in an exclusive use zone in the south-western portion of the Big 5 and malaria free Pilanesberg Game Reserve close to Gauteng.
- Guests will enjoy both private traversing and access to all the Pilanesberg National Park public roads.
- Standard Suites feature an outdoor shower, en-suite bathroom with a patio overlooking the magnificent Pilanesberg Game Reserve. Standard Rooms can be combined as a Family Room option which, in turn, comprises 2 x Sleeper couches, a covered patio and a flat screen TV with selected DSTV channels.
- Big FiveYes
- Off RoadNo
- Camp FencedYes
- Child PolicyAll ages welcome
- PoolYes - At The Main Area Only
- SPAFull Spa
- Malaria AreaNo
LocationPilanesberg Game Reserve
2 and a half hour drive from Johannesburg.
15 minute drive from Sun City.
- 22 Standard Suites (Max 2 guests)
- 13 Family Suites (Max 4 adults & 2 children under 12 years)
- 4 Executive Suites with heated plunge pools (Max 2 adults & 1 child under 6 years)
- 3 Villas with private entertainment area & pool (Max 4 guests)
Rates & Special Offers
Deals By Date
- All rates are subject to availability.
- Proof of SADC residency may be required at the time of booking or upon check-in at the lodge.
- Surcharges and a minimum 3 night stay may apply on rates over peak holiday periods and long weekends
- Unless otherwise stated, all rates listed are based on a minimum 2 night stay. Surcharges may apply for a 1 night booking.
- Rates quoted above are valid for SA Residents only. Special discounted rates for International Residents are available on request.
- A Conservation Levy of R 145 per person per stay applies which will be added to the invoice for the accommodation at the time of booking. (Subject to change)
- There will be a supplement of 50% on the per person sharing rate for single accommodation in a Standard Room.
- Children of all ages are welcome at Shepherd’s Tree.
- The Standard Room accommodates a maximum of 2 adults. Please check with your Bushbreaks & More consultant for child rates when sharing with one adult.
- Executive Suite, Family Suite & Villa rates are per night and available on request.
- Except where children are accommodated on safari by means of a ‘bush bumble’, children under the age of 6 years will not be permitted on game drives.
- Children between the age of 6 & 12 years are permitted on drives at the discretion of the game ranger.
About Shepherd’s Tree
Shepherd’s Tree Game Lodge will offer you far more than just memorable vacations. It is destined to become one of the premier lodges in Southern Africa. The lodge provides tremendous wildlife experiences in a vast wilderness, and yet still offers easy access (only 18km or 15mins by road) to the world’s most unique resort, the internationally acclaimed Sun City.
The reception is situated adjacent to the curio shop and business centre. A gourmet restaurant and outdoor boma serve the most delectable cuisines, a casual lounge and bar provide magnificent vistas of the impressive landscape, a spacious entertainment deck with outdoor cocktail bar overlook a spectacular rim-flow swimming pool, an award-winning health and beauty spa offers heavenly pampering in 2 couples treatment rooms and a single treatment room, a conference centre is fully equipped to ensure that conferences, functions and events are handled seamlessly and provide for a maximum of 70 delegates, a small business centre caters for all your telecommunication needs.
About Pilanesberg National Park
Next door to the famous leisure and entertainment resort of Sun City, is the Pilanesberg National Park.
It may not be very large (550km²) compared to Kruger or some of the other great African parks, but it has a real wilderness feel to it and most of the big animals you could wish to see. It lies amongst the only significant hills in the area which rise skywards out of the flat highveld plain. This massif is a 1,200 million-year-old volcanic relic of four concentric mountain rings.
The Pilanesberg is the highest peak towering 600 metres above Mankwe Lake, which sits in the heart of the ancient volcano. The volcano’s circular bowl was recognised as being the perfect situation for a national park with its tall sides creating natural boundaries. The area was farmed until 1979 until Operation Genesis was launched to rehabilitate the land and stock it with game. This was one of the most imaginative game-stocking enterprises ever undertaken and the Pilanesberg became a great success story. There are currently around 10,000 head of game and it is a very popular game park for locals and overseas visitors alike – many of whom make the short trip from the nearby resort of Sun City.
ANIMALS & BIRDS OF THE PILANESBREG
This park is home to good populations of a whole range of Africa’s game, including the ‘Big Five’; elephants, black and white rhinoceros, buffaloes, lions and leopards and you will also see giraffes, zebras, hippos and a wide variety of antelopes including the very attractive sable, eland, kudu and gemsbok. There are also cheetahs and hyenas and jackal. Birdlife is good with over 300 species and bird lovers will be interested in the huge stroll-through aviary at the Manyane gate. Also in this area is a ‘vulture restaurant’ – created to help save the shy and endangered Cape vulture from regional extinction.
- Leave Johannesburg driving past Lanseria Airport towards Hartebeespoort Dam (suggested routes either William Nicol or Hans Strydom roadways)
- At the T-junction of Broederstroom (fruit stall in front of you) turn left
- Follow signs to Sun City turning right taking the bridge over the dam
- At stop street turn right
- At 4 way stop turn left (takes you past Chameleon Village) and once again follow Sun City signs taking you onto the N4
- Once on the N4 Toll road, take the 1st off ramp for Pilansberg/Sun City
- Turn right over the Highway continuing as though traveling to Sun City (+/- 80km) going through at least 4 4-way stops
- Continue straight past Sun City entrance and Bakubung Gate turn-off, and proceed to the 4 way stop
- Turn right and proceed along the road for 12km to the Shepherd’s Tree Game Lodge entrance on the right hand side
Rooms Found, Nights, 2 Adults