- Simbavati River Lodge is a wheelchair friendly & family friendly safari lodge (children of all ages are welcome) located in a Big Five Game Reserve withing the Greater Kruger National Park.
- Simbavati takes its name from the local Shangaan language, translated as “the place where the lions come down from the stars”
- Accommodation consists of eight luxury tents and three chalets, all privately situated and comfortably furnished and with en-suite facilities.
- Guest areas feature a generously proportioned lounge, bar, boma and extensive decks with breathtaking views overlooking the Nhlaralumi river where regular wildlife sightings take place and guests can unwind.
- A family friendly safari lodge with Cubs Club for kidz
- Big FiveYes
- Off RoadYes (for Big 5 Sightings Only)
- Camp FencedNo
- Child PolicyAll ages welcome
- PoolYes - At The Main Lodge Area & 2 X Luxury Safari Tents With Private Plunge Pools (from 01 November 2019)
- SPAFull Spa
- Cellphone SignalNo
- Malaria AreaYes (Low Risk Area)
LocationTimbavati Game Reserve, Greater Kruger National Park
Approximately 7 to 8 hours drive from Johannesburg to Simbavati River Lodge.
2 x daily scheduled flights from Johannesburg to Hoedspruit Eastgate Airport.
3 x flights a week from/to Cape Town to Hoedspruit Eastgate Airport.
Road transfers from Nelspruit Airport can be arranged at an extra cost for the 3 hour drive to Simbavati River Lodge.
6 x twin/double Luxury Safari Tents
2 x twin/double Luxury Safari Tents with private plunge pools (from 01 November 2019)
3 x 2 bedroom thatched Family Chalets
Of the 11 units, we now have 3 x 2 bedroom family chalets, 6 x luxury safari tents and 2 x luxury safari tents with plunge pools.
Rates & Special Offers
Deals By Date
IMPORTANT NOTICE: SIMBAVATI RIVER LODGE WILL BE CLOSED FOR SOFT REFURBISHMENTS FROM 20 NOVEMBER TO 04 DECEMBER 2023.
- All rates are subject to availability.
- Proof of SA residency may be required at the time of booking or upon check-in at the lodge.
- Surcharges may apply on rates over peak holiday periods and long weekends.
- Unless otherwise stated, all rates listed are based on a minimum 2 night stay. Surcharges may apply for a 1 night booking.
- Rates quoted are only applicable to SA Residents. Special Discounted Rates for International Residents are available on request.
- Timbavati Conservation Levy, which needs to be pre-paid with the accommodation costs on confirmation of the booking. Subject to change without prior notice.
South African Residents – R 200 per person per night applies
African Citizens & Residents – R 200 per person per night applies
Timbavati Gate Entrance Fee of R 280 per vehicle entry applies, based on a light motor vehicle, for self-drive guests. Payable in cash at the gate and subject to change.
- **The Timbavati Enkhulu Gate closes at 18h00 and reopens at 06h00**
- When self driving it is approximately a 7 to 8 hours drive. The recommended departure time from Gauteng (Johannesburg/Pretoria) is no later than 10h00, with no stops, to make it in time before the gate closes. The recommended route is the N1 via Polokwane.
- Guests arriving at the Lodge after 15h00/15h30 will unfortunately, miss out on the first afternoon’s activity.
- Please contact your BushBreaks & More consultant for single accommodation rates.
- Children of all ages are welcome at Simbavati River Lodge.
- Children between 0 – 3 years: no charge and includes all meals.
- Children between 4 – 11 years: 50% of per person sharing rate when sharing with parents in Family Chalets.
- Children 12 years & older sharing with parents in Family Chalets will be charged at the applicable 3rd /4th person sharing rates (available on request).
- Child sharing with one parent in a Luxury Safari Tent: full per person sharing rate applicable.
- Children of 6 years and older are allowed on game drives, at the discretion of the lodge manager.
- Families with children younger than 6 years may arrange a private game drive vehicle, at an additional charge, prior to arrival.
About Simbavati River Lodge
An exclusive African Safari experience awaits you at the Simbavati River Lodge (previously known as Gomo Gomo), situated in the northern sector of the world famous Timbavati Private Game Reserve, which forms part of the Greater Kruger National Park. There are no fences between the Timbavati and the Kruger National Park. The closest gate to the Kruger Park is the Orphen Gate (approximately 1 hour drive). The reserve is home to the famous White Lions and offers exceptional game viewing opportunities. Simbavati River Lodge has extensive tracts of wilderness (over 9 500 hectares) in which to experience an authentic but affordable African safari.
An intimate and child friendly camp, Simbavati River Lodge places emphasis on relaxation. Chalets are comfortably furnished complete with air conditioning, further enhancing your tranquil African Bush experience. The lodge also offers a lounge, bar, restaurant and breathtaking views of the nearby Nhlaralumi river. Mid Morning Brunch and Afternoon High-Tea is served outside on a wooden deck and combines African and Western cuisine offering exciting new tastes for the more adventurous as well as more conventional preferences. Served around the campfire in an open-air boma, Dinner is a memorable occasion for all guests who dine at Simbavati River Lodge.
The lodge offers Big 5 safari Game Drives in the early morning and evening to ensure game viewing when the animals are most active. Nocturnal animals, including the big cats are regular sightings at night. Currently there are over 40 mammal species in the Timbavati including the Big 5 of Lion, Leopard, Rhino, Buffalo and Elephant as well as 360 species of bird life. The Timbavati Private Nature Reserve was initiated in 1956 by a group of land owners concerned about the degradation of this once pristine wilderness area. Timbavati is dedicated to conservation by maintaining the biodiversity of species and is also involved in different research.
About Timbavati Game Reserve
Timbavati Nature Reserve shares a common unfenced border with the Kruger National Park allowing animals free range and ensuring guests to the area the opportunity to view the greatest diversity of wildlife that Africa has to offer. View the big game from open vehicles, on foot or from the comfort of your room as you experience timeless Africa.
Escape from the grind of daily life and succumb to the tranquil wilderness of the Timbavati Nature Reserve in the South African Lowveld. Here you can view the Big Five and other endangered species such as the Wild Dog and Cheetah in their natural environment.
ANIMALS AND BIRDS
All the big game is here including rhino, elephants, buffalo, zebras, antelopes, as well as leopard, lion, hyena. Bird watching is good particularly during the rainy season.
- Simbavati River Lodge offers Big 5 game drives in the early morning and late afternoon/evening to ensure game viewing when the animals are most active. Nocturnal animals, including the big cats are regular sightings at night. Currently there are over 40 mammal species in the Timbavati including the Big Five of lion, leopard, rhino, buffalo and elephant as well as 360 species of bird life.
- Early morning tea/coffee overlooking the river on the deck
- Game drive (approx 3+ hours) including a coffee/tea stop in the bush
- Mid morning breakfast/brunch on the dining deck
- Time at leisure (use of the swimming pool, books and board games on offer, relax in the lounge area and use the free Wi-Fi, cocktails on the deck or take a look around our well stocked curio shop)
- Afternoon high tea (combination of high tea & light lunch) on the dining deck
- Afternoon/evening game drive (approx 3+ hours). With a sundowners stop in the bush
- Dinner on the deck or sometimes around the fire in the open air boma (weather permitting)
Rooms Found, Nights, 2 Adults