- Beautiful scenery enhanced by flickering firelight from the boma and warm paraffin lanterns to guide your feet along the walkway.
- To add to the genuine bush atmosphere, the camp is non-electrified.
- All decorated in rustic natural shades and complemented by the rich, warm hues of the African sunset.
- Big FiveYes
- Off RoadYes (for Big 5 Sightings only)
- Camp FencedNo
- Child PolicyNo children under the age of 6 years
- PoolYes - at the main area only
- SPASpa Tent offering treatments
- Cellphone SignalNo
- Malaria AreaYes (Low Risk Area)
LocationThanda Private Game Reserve, Northern Zululand
3 hour drive from Durban
6.5 hour drive from Johannesburg
Road transfers are available on request from Durban, Richards Bay and Mkuze (additional charge)
14 Luxury Tents
1 Luxury Jabula Tent with private plunge pool and boma for private dining
Rates & Special Offers
Deals By Date
- All rates are subject to availability.
- Proof of SA residency may be required at the time of booking or upon check-in at the lodge.
- Surcharges and a minimum 3 night stay may apply on rates over peak holiday periods and long weekends.
- Special discounted rates for International guests are available on request.
- Unless otherwise stated, all rates listed are based on a minimum 2 night stay. Surcharges may apply for a 1 night booking.
- Rates quoted are only applicable to South African Residents. Discounted special rates for International Residents are available on request.
- Private vehicles are not allowed within the reserve so there are scheduled gate pick-up times: 14h00, 14h30, 15h00, late arrivals must be booked prior to arrival.
- A Conservation Levy of R 200 per person per stay applies and will be added to the guest’s account. Subject to change.
- Special rates for single accommodation in a Luxury Tent are available on request. Please contact your BushBreaks consultant for a quote.
- Children aged 6 years and older are welcome at Thanda Tented Camp.
- Children aged 6 – 16 years pay 50% off the adult sharing rate when sharing a tent with 2 full paying adults.
- Children aged 6 – 16 years sleep on individual single beds (stretcher beds).
- One child under 16 years can be accommodated with 2 adults – additional accommodation is required for 2 or more children.
- Children aged 17 years and older will be charged standard adult rates.
About Thanda Tented Camp
The Thanda Tented Camp was renovated and reopened in May 2012 and is built in colonial safari-style, offering an authentic yet luxurious bush experience. The tented camp is equipped with a generator which will power the luxury tents for a few hours each day. Guests will now be able to charge cameras and phones in the privacy of their tents. Thanda now allows children from 6-years of age to stay at the tented camp, making for a perfect family safari getaway.
THE HONEYMOON TENT
The Honeymoon Tent offers a sophisticated mix of romance, privacy and refined comfort in the heart of the African bush. The Honeymoon Tent features a king-sized bed in a spacious bedroom, and a comfortable separate lounge area for relaxation.
About Thanda Safari Private Game Reserve
Thanda Private Game Reserve is South Africa’s top award winning safari destination and is situated in northern Zululand, in close proximity to the Indian Ocean. The inimitable integration of South Africa’s best climate and rehabilitated and rich bush land has made Thanda home to amazing wildlife and over four hundred bird species. Ignite your imagination and open your mind to an extraordinary experience for your soul, mind and body. It’s the unique and sought after balance between energizing and exclusive relaxation that we want to share with you and your dear ones. It is here that one finds Thanda Private Game Reserve. The nine luxury bush villas at the main lodge offer a level of opulence that is hard to surpass, 220m in size, each with private heated splash pools and private bomas, ideal for intimate open-air dinners. The outdoor salas are impossible to resist for an afternoon siesta on feather-filled cushions amid extraordinary views of the surrounding unfenced bush. Each villa has a fireplace interleading between the bedroom and the lounge. Luxurious bathrooms have enormous egg-shaped baths, and indoor as well as outdoor showers.
Should the urge arise to venture out of your private retreat, Thanda’s public areas include a library, business centre, a finely stocked wine cellar and several dining venues where deliciously mouth-watering meals are served. Culinary masterpieces skilfully prepared by the dedicated and professional chefs can be experienced in a variety of venues at Thanda. The public facilities of the main lodge include a fire-lit dining room, outdoor dining decks and an outdoor ‘boma’ (open reed enclosure). Private dining is available at the bush villas, where meals can be served in the private bomas or the private decks of each villa, under sparkling skies on clear nights. Bush breakfasts, high teas or dinners are also available for special occasions.
A superbly stocked wine cellar and cigar bar are available at the main lodge. Thanda is an exquisite venue for a honeymoon or a bush wedding. All co-ordination requirements will be taken care of by the lodge, from the legal documents to arranging an ordained minister, ensuring that the most special day of your life is totally unforgettable and stress-free. Thanda can accommodate a maximum of 58 guests and the lodge is able to cater for the wedding ceremony and reception, and would assist in finding additional accommodation nearby if required. Thanda Private Game Reserve aims to restore nature’s balance by reintroducing species endemic to the area (for example, Wild Dog), as well as the Big Five. The rehabilitated land has encouraged the bird and wildlife to flourish, and has assisted in the re-establishment of the natural ecosystem. Game drives in the open game viewing vehicles and bush walks guided by knowledgeable and experienced game rangers and trackers afford guests a better understanding and appreciation of our wild heritage.
Private game drives are also available on request. Other activities arranged by Thanda include fresh-water and deep-sea fishing, horse riding on the beach or at a nearby non-Big Five game reserve, swimming and walking along the pristine beaches at the Indian ocean and having your own beach barbeque, snorkeling, birding safaris, microlight flights, midnight turtle tours to Mbibi, kayak and canoe safaris and visits to a traditional village and school. There are also golf courses in the surrounding areas for golf enthusiasts.
Of course, for those guests who would prefer to savour the peace of the luxury bush retreats, enjoy the stillness of the stars above you with the privacy of your own outdoor fireplace, or a variety of relaxing therapies and beauty treatments offered by the wellness centre Thanda Private Game Reserve has created a world-class spa facility with exclusive treatments which consist of reflexology, aromatherapy, hot stone massage using African essential oils in a base of shea butter, pressure point scalp massage, manicures, pedicures, hot & cold outdoor kniepp therapy pools, a reflexology pool, outdoor sala treatment area, steam room & hydrotherapy bath all with a unique Zulu feel and designed exclusively for Thanda
- Take the N17 via Springs to Ermelo. From Ermelo, take the N2, past Piet Retief. Continue on the N2 towards Hluhluwe – approximately 25km past Mkhuze (before Hluhluwe), turn right into the D242, continue for approximately 5km on the gravel road to the Thanda gate on the right.
- Take the N2 towards Hluhluwe. Approximately 20km past the turn-off for Hluhluwe, turn left into the D242 and continue for approximately 5km on the gravel road to the Thanda gate on the right.