- The Elephant Sanctuary in Hartbeespoort has offers an interactive African Elephant experience and overnight accommodation. With hands-on educational elephant interactions providing guests with a far more intimate elephant experience.
- Dedicated staff are committed to the use of positive reinforcement elephant training methods and as a result, have relaxed elephants who enjoy interacting with guests.
- You will be able to touch, feel and interact with the elephants. You will see the special relationship that the elephant handlers share with their elephants and become a part of this family.
- Accommodation at the Elephant Sanctuary is hosted at Tuskers Bush Lodge B&B, situated right next to the Elephant Sanctuary Hartbeespoort – South Africa. Guest have the opportunity to stay in rooms only a short distance from the elephant stables.
- Big FiveNo
- Off RoadNo
- Camp FencedYes
- Child PolicyAll Ages Welcome
- PoolYes - at the main area only
- Cellphone SignalYes
- Malaria AreaNo
LocationHartbeespoort Area, Gauteng
1 hour drive From Johannesburg and Pretoria.
4 x Standard Rooms (2x queen size beds within one room)
1 x Family Room (1x Queen size bed and 2x single beds in adjoining room)
1 x Honeymoon Suite
Rates & Special Offers
Deals By Date
IMPORTANT NOTICE: TUSKERS BUSH LODGE B&B MAY NOT BE OPEN FOR ACCOMMODATION BOOKINGS THROUGHOUT THE WEEK. BOOKINGS ARE ON REQUEST.
Tuskers Bush Lodge – Bed & Breakfast in Hartbeespoort.
- All rooms at Tuskers are tastefully decorated, with en-suite bathrooms and air-conditioning.
- Rates are inclusive of Bed and Breakfast.
- In the surrounding Hartbeespoort area there are a variety of restaurants & things to do ready for your picking.
Elephant Interaction Program (subject to change without prior notice).
- Runs daily at 08h00, 10h00 and 14h00.
- Duration: 1.5 to 2 hour (approx.)
- Guided interaction with elephants including touching, feeding, interacting and walking trunk-in-hand with elephants.
Monkey Sanctuary Tour (subject to change without prior notice).
- All tours are structured and guided. Walk through natural indigenous forests on elevated wooden walkways and experience a variety of exotic monkeys in an exquisite natural environment. The experience is described as a non-interactive game-viewing opportunity to see once-captive primates in a wild environment.
- Tours are highly informative and the walk is leisurely, winding its way through a tranquil forest.
- Tours are on the hour, every hour. First tour 09h00, last tour 16h00.
- Add R 50 per person for feeding at 12h00 & 15h00 only.
- All rates are subject to availability.
- Proof of SADC residency may be required at the time of booking or upon check-in at the lodge.
- Surcharges may apply on rates over peak holiday periods and long weekends.
- Rates quoted are only applicable to South African Residents. Discounted special rates for International Residents are available on request.
- Single package rates are available on request.
- Please contact your BushBreaks consultant for special discounted rates for children aged 4 – 14 years.
- Depending on your child’s age, he/she may not be permitted to participate in certain activities.
About The Elephant Sanctuary (Hartbeespoort)
Guests are guided on foot through The Elephant Sanctuary. Guides will provide in-depth information and insight into African elephants. You will be introduced to our elephants in the forest area, and here you will be able to touch and interact with the elephants. You will see the special relationship that the elephant handlers share with their elephants and become a part of it. Walk trunk-in-hand with the elephants. See the stables where the elephants sleep at night. Guests learn about elephant anatomy and are able to feed them. Enjoy a drink in our Coffee Shop and visit our curio shop. Remember to wear flat walking shoes, sun hats and bring your camera. The 08h00 Elephant Experience includes brushing the elephants down.
Nestled in the Magaliesberg Mountains in Hartbeespoort only an hour from Johannesburg and Pretoria,The Elephant Sanctuary lies in a malaria-free area. The Sanctuary is surrounded by natural indigenous bush and is home to impala, klipspringer, baboons, porcupine, caracal, leopard, a host of other small mammals, 350 bird species and of course five magnificent African Elephants.
BUSH BABIES MONKEY SANCTUARY IN HARTBEESPOORT
The bush babies sanctuary is one of several sanctuaries in a group of sanctuaries, including the elephant sanctuary that provides for orphaned and abused animals. The Bushbabies Monkey Sanctuary covers approximately 7ha situated west of Hartbeesport Dam alongside the Elephant sanctuary it provides an environment where monkeys (primates) can be given their freedom in a natural environment. The sanctuary situated in one of the many Kloofs (Gorges) of the Magaliesberg mountain range provides the perfect environment for Monkeys from around the world. It is one of only eight free-release primate sanctuaries globally.
Tours are highly informative and interesting. Join the guides on a walk through natural indigenous forests on elevated wooden walkways and experience a variety of exotic monkeys in an exquisite environment.
The experience is described as non-interactive game-viewing opportunity to see once-captured primates in a wild environment. The walk is leisurely, winding its way through a tranquil forest setting. Along with numerous monkey species, you can also see an abundance of indigenous bird-and wildlife, including green pigeons, species of thrush, barbet and shrike, duikers and bushbabies. When you are done, you can enjoy the
- THINGS TO DO IN HARTBEESPOORT
- Ann van Dyk Cheetah Centre
- Aerial Cableway Hartbeespoort
- Hartbeespoort Dam
- Hartbeespoort Dam – Snake and Animal Park
- Hennops Hiking Trail
- Lesedi Cultural Village
DIRECTIONS FROM JOHANNESBURG TO THE ELEPHANT SANCTUARY
- Take the Brits R512 (past Lanseria Airport) to Hartbeespoort Dam.
- Cross dam over open bridge and turn right at T-junction, on to four-way stop at the Craft Market (garage on right hand side and one opposite as well).
- Turn left and travel 2.5km to The Elephant Sanctuary.
- Located on the left side on the road.
- Follow route to Hartbeespoort Dam.
- Travel through tunnel.
- At the four-way stop at the Craft Market, continue 2.5km to The Elephant Sanctuary.
- Located on the left side of the road.