- Luxury accommodation in a small intimate bush lodge situated in the heart of the Welgevonden Reserve – close to Johannesburg.
- Spectacular Game Viewing.
- Set in the valley, watch the game on the mountainside from your bed.
- Big FiveYes
- Off RoadNo
- Camp FencedNo
- Child PolicyNo children under 10 years
- PoolYes - At The Main Area Only
- AirconFans Only
- Cellphone SignalNo
- Malaria AreaNo
LocationWelgevonden Game Reserve
2.5 hour drive from Johannesburg to the Main gate at Welgevonden Game Reserve.
5 Luxury thatched Suites
Rates & Special Offers
Deals By Date
- All rates are subject to availability.
- Proof of SADC residency may be required at the time of booking or upon check-in at the lodge.
- Surcharges may apply on rates over peak holiday periods and long weekends.
- Unless otherwise stated, all rates listed are based on a minimum 2 night stay. Surcharges may apply for a 1 night booking.
- Rates quoted are only applicable to South African Residents. Special Discounted rates for International Residents are available on request.
- Welgevonden Park Fee payable directly to the Lodge: R 250 per person per night, subject to change.
- Guests will be collected at the Main Gate of the Welgevonden 12h30. On the day of departure, guests will be transferred back to the Main Gate at 11h00.
- Gate transfers other than the allocated time must be requested in advance with management & if available will be charged at R 1,500 per vehicle one way, subject to change.
- Please contact your Bushbreaks & More consultant for single accommodation rates.
- Regrettably children under the age of 10 years are not permitted.
- Children must be supervised at all times as the rooms are “open-air” with open balconies and the lodge and swimming pool are both unfenced.
- SADC Residents Last Minute Book Within 60 Days Rates valid 01 October to 15 December 2023:
- Children aged 10 years and older are charged the full adult sharing rate.
- Children 6 years and older are permitted on game drives.
- If the lodge is booked exclusively, the age limit for children on game drives could be lowered, at the game ranger’s / management’s discretion.
About Tshwene Lodge
Surrounded by magnificent rock outcrops, Tshwene Lodge is a secluded oasis in the rugged valley of the Taaibos River. The Chacma baboon, after which the lodge is named, calls late at night to alert of pending danger. Rich in bird life, Tshwene offers peace and tranquillity for those seeking to get away from it all. The five strategically located chalets all offer exhilarating views of the valleys below and the hills beyond
About Welgevonden Game Reserve
The Welgevonden Gama Reserve bordering the Marakele National Park is situated approximately 250km north of Gauteng. The Game Reserve is quickly gaining popularity in the South African and International markets due to its outstanding topography, high quality private game lodges and exceptional game viewing.
Welgevonden was developed on the basis of a freehold title in 1993, with the reserve being divided into 500ha blocks that ware sold to private individuals, syndicates or corporates for the purpose of private or commercial ecotourism.
There are no internal fences, but an electrified perimeter fence restricts the movement of large mammal species, onto neighbouring properties, and a restocking exercise was undertaken shortly after the reserve was proclaimed. A good road network of 430 km of gravel roads exist on the Reserve, which is a mean feat on the rocky, mountainous terrain and sandy soils.
The reserve is situated on the Waterberg Plateau and comprises of mountainous terrain that is dissected by deep valleys and kloofs, with occasional old lands that have been allowed to regenerate since the reserves proclamation. Flat plateaus characterise most hilltops, and altitude varies from 1080 m above sea level at the main entrance gate in the north of the reserve to 1800 m above sea level in the southern section of the Reserve. The combination of the veld types of the sour Waterberg Mountains and the sweeter lowland bushveld types historically supported a wide diversity of mammal species, but by the end of the 19th century most of the large herbivore and carnivore species that were present in the area in historical times had been exterminated by uncontrolled hunting. Over the last 10 years, many of these species have been reintroduced back into the Welgevonden Game Reserve.
- Game drives
- Bird watching
- Take the N1 north to Pietersburg / Polokwane
- At the Kraskop toll gate, keep left to Nylstroom / Marble Hall
- At the T-junction turn left towards Nylstroom / Modimolle and continue straight on for approximately 70km to Vaalwater / Mabatlane
- Continue through Vaalwater / Mabatlane on the Thabazimbi road for approximately 24km and turn left at the Welgevonden main gate. (Do not turn left at south gate or East gate.)
As no private vehicles are allowed in the reserve, guests have to be picked up from the Welgevonden main gate by our rangers.
IMPORTANT: The pick-up time at Tshwene Lodge is strictly at 12h30 p.m.
Rooms Found, Nights, 2 Adults