Tumbeta Private Game Reserve
- Unspoiled nature: Tumbeta boasts stunning natural landscapes, from vast grasslands to Marula forests and acacia thicket to rocky outcrops. Largely undisturbed from any man made influence and completely wild.
- Big 5 reserve with low game vehicle density.
- Excellent birding and an abundance of plains game.
- Solar powered and off the grid. All waste management eco lodge compliance.
- Committed to conservation, contributing towards the protection of Africa’s precious ecosystems and wildlife.
- Big FiveYes
- Off RoadCertain Sightings Only
- Camp FencedNo
- Child PolicyAll ages welcome
- Cellphone SignalYes
- Malaria AreaNo
- Wheelchair FriendlyYes
- Back-up PowerSolar
3.5 hours drive from Johannesburg
3 x Standard Rooms
3 x Luxury rooms
1 x Tree house (sleep out to be booked as a additional experience along with a standard or luxury room)
Rates & Special Offers
Deals By Date
TREE HOUSE AT TUMBETA PRIVATE GAME RESERVEExperience a night “Under the Stars” on a Treehouse Platform.
A unique romantic experience with no one and nothing but open wilderness for miles.
Needs to be booked in conjunction with accommodation at the lodge, at an additional charge per person per night.
(Your Standard or Luxury room at the lodge remains ready for your return at any point)
– From R 1,132 per person per night sharing for bookings within 14 days of travel
– From R 1,258 per person per night sharing for bookings 15+ days in advance
Valid: 01 January to 31 December 2024
Includes: accommodation and private candlelight dinner
- All rates are subject to availability.
- Proof of SADC residency may be required at the time of booking or upon check-in at the lodge.
- Surcharges may apply on rates over peak holiday periods and long weekends.
- Unless otherwise stated, all rates listed are strictly based on a minimum 2 night stay. Surcharges may apply for a 1 night booking.
- Rates quoted are only applicable to South African Residents. Special discounted rates for International Residents are available on request.
- Rates exclude a Conservation Levy of R 100 per person per day which will be added to the invoice for the accommodation at the time of booking. Subject the change and valid until further notice.
- Single rates are available on request. Please contact your BushBreaks & More consultant for a quote.
- Children of all ages are welcome at Tumbeta Private Game Reserve.
- Please contact your BushBreaks & More consultant for a quote on child rates.
- Children 6 years and older are permitted on game drives at the game ranger’s / management’s discretion.
About Tumbeta Private Game Reserve
Derived from the local language, Xitsonga, Tumbeta translates to ‘secluded hideaway’. This is a true safari experience off the beaten track. Nestled within the pristine wilderness of Tumbeta Private Game Reserve, the lodge offers a captivating retreat for nature enthusiasts and wildlife lovers. Immerse yourself in the untamed beauty of the African bush as you indulge in luxurious accommodations, impeccable service, and unforgettable wildlife encounters. From thrilling Big 5 safaris to tranquil moments in the exclusive tree house accommodations, every aspect of your stay is crafted to create a truly memorable experience. The Tumbeta family camp offers an exclusive game lodge experience at affordable prices in an authentic, undisturbed wilderness.
The rooms at Tumbeta are spacious, clean and well appointed. They are thatched units with a combination of brick walls and canvas areas to allow you to feel at one with nature.
Standard Room: – designed for 2 guests sharing. All rooms have twin beds or king size and an en-suite bathroom with a shower and toilet. Sleeps 2 guests.
Luxury Room: – family room with 1 King and 2 double beds and an en-suite bathroom with a shower, bath and toilet. Sleeps up to 6 guests.
Tree House: – a wooden deck, king bed with its own bathroom with shower below the top deck. Accommodates 2 guests. Enjoy a candlelit dinner under the stars in complete privacy. (To be booked as a additional experience along with a standard or luxury room)
- Spacious and comfortable accommodations
- King size beds
- En-suite bathrooms with modern fixtures. Luxury rooms have inside and outside shower and large bathtub while standard rooms have shower only and well finished bathrooms.
- Private balconies or terraces with scenic views
- Plush beds with high-quality linens
- Ample storage space and wardrobe
- Mini refrigerator for convenience
- Coffee and tea making facilities.
- Complimentary bottled water
- Room service available
- Daily housekeeping for a clean and tidy space
- Eco-friendly amenities
- Complimentary toiletries
- Reception area with friendly and knowledgeable staff
- Dining area serving delicious meals or self – catering exclusive use to groups
- Bar/lounge for relaxing and socializing
- Inside and outside lounge areas
- Outdoor seating areas to enjoy the natural surroundings
- Swimming pool for refreshing dips
- Gym or Fitness center for those who want to stay active
- Wi-Fi access in common areas
- Bonfire or boma area for evening gatherings
- Accessible facilities for guests with special needs (if available)
- Eco-friendly practices and initiatives
- Guided nature walks available but should be booked in advance
- Children’s play area or activities for families (if applicable)
- Stunning views and proximity to the reserve’s wildlife and natural wonders (specific to Tumbeta Private Game Reserve).
Tumbeta Game Reserve is situated in a remote area, far from human settlement and very safe. It lies in the north western Limpopo Province, 73 kms north west of Thabazimbi and 50kms west of Marakele National Park. The vegetation is typical of the game rich Limpopo, sweet bushveld in which game thrives. Very similar to that found in many areas of the Kruger national park. The reserve is mainly flat with large trees and has very high biodiversity which leads to excellent birding and game viewing.
Waterhole/ Hide/ Riverfront Feature
- Wild dog experience
- Marakele vulture breeding area
Tumbeta is located approximately 75 kms north west of Thabazimbi. Both recommended routes pass through Thabazimbi.
One option is to use the N1 via Bela Bela and the other option is to take the R511 or R512 via Brits before continuing straight to Thabazimbi. The Brits route is approximately 50 kms shorter but does tend to have more traffic around the Brits and Hartbeespoort areas.
- When driving through Thabazimbi take the R510 turn to your left towards Lephalale (previously Elisras). Once on this road ignore the next turn to Lephalale and continue straight towards Sentrum where the road eventually becomes gravel.
- Continue on the gravel road keeping LEFT at the fork and you will find Tumbeta entrance on your right side.
- The gravel road to Tumbeta entrance is 27 kms (once you leave the tar it is approximately 27 kms to the entrance road on your right).
Directions from Vaalwater or Lephalale;
- Take the R510 road towards Thabazimbi until you reach the T – junction approximately 31 kilometers before Thabazimbi.
- Turn right towards Sentrum and then follow the above directions from point. 2.
- Please contact us by WhatsApp or call when you pass Sentrum and the Groenvlei police station which is just before the tar road ends.
- You will see the Tumbeta sign on your right. The access road to Tumbeta is to the right of this sign.
- Follow this road to the next gate where you will be met by a ranger.