- A hidden gem in the Eastern Cape.
- The lodge overlooks the ancient flood plains of the Bushman’s River.
- A wonderful look-out deck.
- The charm of a 3 Star lodge.
- Big FiveYes
- Off RoadNo
- Camp FencedYes
- Child PolicyChildren aged 6 years and older are welcome
- Cellphone SignalYes, Limited To Certain Areas
- Malaria AreaNo
- WI-FIYes, Main Lodge Only
- Wheelchair FriendlyNo
LocationAmakhala Game Reserve, Eastern Cape
Daily scheduled flights from Johannesburg, Cape Town or Durban to Port Elizabeth.
Approximately 1 hour 10 minutes drive from Port Elizabeth Airport.
8 x Tents which can accommodate 2 guests
2 x Family Tents which can accommodate 2 adults & 2 children per Family Tent
10 x Tents in total
Rates & Special Offers
Deals By Date
- All rates are subject to availability
- Proof of SADC residency may be required at the time of booking or upon check-in at the lodge
- Surcharges may apply on rates over peak holiday periods and long weekends.
- Unless otherwise stated, all rates listed are based on a minimum 2 night stay. Surcharges may apply for a 1 night booking.
- Rates quoted are only applicable to South African Residents. Discounted special rates for International Residents are available on request.
- Conservation Levy of R 140 per adult per night applies. Children 0 – 2 years no charge & children 3 – 11 years pay R 70 per child per night which will be added to the invoice for accommodation at the time of booking. Valid until 30 September 2023. (Subject to change)
- Conservation Levy of R 210 per adult per night applies. Children 0 – 2 years no charge & children 3 – 11 years pay R 105 per child per night which will be added to the invoice for accommodation at the time of booking. Valid from October 2023. (Subject to change)
- There will be a supplement of 30% on the per person sharing rate for single accommodation.
- Children 6 years and older are welcome at Woodbury Tented camp.
- Children 6 – 11 years pay 50% of the adult sharing rate.
- Children 12 years and older pay the full adult sharing rate.
- Children 6 years and older are welcome on game drives.
About Woodbury Tented Camp
Woodbury Tented Camp is an intimate, three-star bush camp located on the spectacular Amakhala Game Reserve and run by the Gush family, who have lived on the land for five generations. Tucked into a secluded hillside thicket overlooking the ancient floodplain of the Bushman’s River, Woodbury Tented Camp is one of the hidden jewels of the Eastern Cape.
Ten comfortable en-suite tents on raised bases, each with its own private deck, allow guests to enjoy a rare intimacy with nature. Each tent has hot running water, the option of king-size or twin beds and electric blankets for those cosy evenings. Also in the portfolio are two family tents which connect via a balcony, allowing families to enjoy the African bush together.
Family Tents (2 rooms): Two family friendly options are available at Woodbury Tented Camp, where two tents connect via a balcony, allowing families to enjoy the African bush together. Each of these units consist of the main tents with en suite bathrooms with hot running water and a basic side tent for the children (the bathroom is shared in the main tent), the option of king-size or twin beds and electric blankets.
King/Twin Tents: Comfortable en-suite tents on raised bases, each with its own private deck, allowing guests to enjoy a rare intimacy with nature. Each tent has an en suite bathroom with hot running water, the option of king-size or twin beds and electric blankets for those cosy evenings.
- Balcony / Deck
- Electrical Outlets
- Hair Dryer
- Laundry Service (available)
- Tea / Coffee
- Communal Dining
- Internet Access (complimentary)
- Big 5
- Bird Watching
- Game Drives
- Game Walks
- Horse-back Safaris
- Night Drives
- Walks (Guided)
- Addo Elephant Park
About Amakhala Game Reserve
Situated in the Greater Addo and Frontier Country area of the Eastern Cape, is the malaria-free Amakhala Game Reserve – a mere one hours drive north-east of Port Elizabeth’s national airport.
The Amakhala Game Reserve began in 1999 as a joint conservation venture between the owners of six lodges who are direct descendants of the original Frontier settlers, some five generations ago. They arrived here with the British settlers of 1820. The families originally settled to farm sheep and cattle on the wild and often hostile Zuurveld.
This private game reserve covers 8500 hectors, and has the big 5. Game drives are guided by an experienced Ranger on an open Land Rover, and guests are given an experience in the diverse wildlife and landscape including: Big 5 Game Drives, Black Wildebeest, Cheetah, Giraffe, Zebra and numerous other antelope can also be spotted while on game drives.
Tucked into a secluded hillside thicket overlooking the ancient floodplain of the Bushman’s River, Woodbury Tented Camp is one of the hidden jewels of the Eastern Cape.
- From Port Elizabeth take the N2 towards Grahamstown.
- Approximately 50 km from Port Elizabeth is an intersection, keep left on the N2 towards Grahamstown.
- From the intersection travel for a further 13km towards Amakhala Game Reserve.
- See road signs of various Amakhala lodges along the way. There is no central entrance.
- Follow the signs to Amakhala Woodbury Lodge.
- Enter the gate and follow the signs to Woodbury Tented Camp.
Rooms Found, Nights, 2 Adults