- With the only wild population of Tigers outside of Asia, experience Tigers living wild and free at Tiger Canyon Private Game Reserve. The tigers establish their own territories, are free to hunt and create their own family groups.
- Besides the obvious tiger which sets this unique safari experience apart, The reserve boasts a uniquely diverse range of birdlife and wildlife including Cheetah.
- Drift away for a peaceful night’s rest in the Tigress Julie Lodge. If you listen closely, you might even hear the roar of a tiger echoing through the canyon.
- Fantastic photographic opportunities, eco-friendly safari lodge, Incredible star gazing with no light pollution
- The biodiversity of the Karoo offers a selection of produce to cater exquisite meals suitable for all special requests such as vegan, vegetarian or diets that exclude items such as nuts, gluten, sugar, dairy etc.
- Big FiveNo
- Off RoadYes
- Camp FencedYes
- Child Policy10 years and older allowed on request
- Cellphone SignalNo
- Malaria AreaNo
- Back-up PowerSolar
LocationThe Karoo near the District of Philippolis in the Free State, South Africa
6.5 hours drive from Johannesburg
2.5 hour drive from Bloemfontein Airport
45 min drive from Gariep Private runway
3 x Luxury Suites at Tigress Julie Lodge
(Max 6 guests)
Rates & Special Offers
Deals By Date
IMPORTANT NOTICE: TIGER CANYON PRIVATE GAME RESERVE IS CLOSED OVER THE FESTIVE SEASON FROM 21 DECEMBER 2023 TO 02 JANUARY 2024.
SPECIAL RATES FOR EXCLUSIVE USE OF THE LODGE (3 ROOMS) FOR MORE THAN 2 NIGHTS ARE AVAILABLE ON REQUEST.
- All rates are subject to availability.
- Proof of SADC residency may be required at the time of booking or upon check-in at the lodge.
- Surcharges and a minimum 3 night stay may apply on rates over peak holiday periods and long weekends.
- Unless otherwise stated, all rates listed are based on a minimum 2 night stay. Surcharges may apply for a 1 night booking.
- Rates quoted are only applicable to South African Residents. Discounted special rates for International Residents are available on request.
- Rates are based on guests staying at Tigress Julie Lodge.
- T’s&C’s apply.
- There will be a supplement of 50% on the per person sharing rate for single accommodation.
- Children under the age of 10 years are not permitted at Tiger Canyon Private Game Reserve.
- Children 10 years and older are allowed on a request basis only. (Subject to confirmation from the Lodge and availability of a room which can accommodate a child sharing).
- Please note that the swimming pool is not fenced.
About Tiger Canyon Private Game Reserve
ABOUT TIGRESS JULIE LODGE
Escape the city for a peaceful night’s rest in the Tigress Julie Lodge. If you listen closely, you might even hear the roar of the tigers echoing through the canyon! Tiger Canyon boasts three opulent luxury suites overlooking a breath taking canyon. The lodge can cater to groups of up to six guests meaning you have exclusive use of the entire lodge at your party’s enjoyment.
The Tigress Ussuri Suite features a balcony with a beautiful view into the canyon. Sink into the daybed located on the balcony and enjoy the late afternoon sun. Have a restful night’s sleep on a king-size bed or select twin beds. Refresh yourself with a luxurious bath or shower under the stars in the outdoor shower. Relax in front of the fireplace in your suite, enjoying a nightcap. The Tigress Ussuri suite is located adjacent to the dining room and lounge, providing ease of access. This suite has a day bed in that can double up as a single bed and is the only room that could be configured to sleep 3 (once child over 8 years sharing)
The Tigress TiBo Suite features a wrap-around balcony with a breath-taking view into the canyon. This suite soaks up the rays all day long. Sink into the daybed located on the balcony and enjoy the late afternoon sun. Have a restful night’s sleep on a king-size bed or select twin beds. Refresh yourself with a luxurious bath or sumptuous shower. Relax in front of the fireplace in your suite, enjoying a nightcap. The Tigress TiBo Suite is located adjacent to the dining room and lounge, providing ease of access.
The Tigress Zaria Suite features a unique balcony and features the best view into the canyon. Sink into the swing chair on the balcony and enjoy the late afternoon sun. Have a restful night’s sleep on a king-size bed or select twin beds. Refresh yourself with a luxurious bath or shower under the stars in the outdoor shower. Relax in front of the fireplace in your suite, enjoying a nightcap. The Tigress Zaria suite is located away from the dining area and living room, providing a more intimate room and romantic escape experience at Tiger Canyon.
With superb Karoo cuisine, spectacular views and distinctly different game drives the Tigress Julie Lodge is a relaxing retreat after your day of exploration. Amazing chefs cater to the occasion. They prepare deliciously plated meals for dinner and relaxed family-style spreads at lunch. Even on game drives our delectable treats are on offer; lovingly prepared from scratch in the kitchen. The menu and selection of food was created in a Karoo-style, to incorporate the ingredients sourced locally. Guests are invited to tantalise their tastebuds with a unique taste of South Africa.
The biodiversity of the Karoo means the lodge can source a selection of produce to cater to to vegan and vegetarian guests or discerning diets and can create dishes that exclude items like; nuts, gluten, sugar, dairy etc. on pior request in advance.
A visit to the Karoo normally results in a conversation about the big blue sky and the clarity of the stars at night. With no night light pollution, the Karoo offers an exquisite view into the starry cosmos. Get lost watching the stars shoot across the sky.
ABOUT THE TIGERS
The spectacular Karoo landscape offers our tigers a variety of wildlife on which to prey, as well as a vast space to establish their own territories, without human interference. They live normal lives. They hunt, mate, fight. They have family groups and can often showcase mother and cub interactions or four to six tigers in one frame. We can go off-road to track tigers on the move and observe their behaviour.
Tiger Canyon’s original tigers arrived in South Africa in the year 2000. Nearly 20 years later, they have third and fourth-generation, wild born, wild raised tigers proving that captive-born tigers can be re-wilded and that they can adapt to African conditions. There are three climatic territories where tigers used to occur naturally; the frozen tundra of Siberia, tropical forests and angrove swamps, and open grasslands. The Karoo resembles some of these climatic regions, which has aided the adaptation process.
Tiger Canyon is the only expanding population of wild tigers outside of Asia, with the only wild white tigers on Planet Earth.
ABOUT THE CHEETAH
For the first time in over 100 years, there are free-roaming cheetahs in the Free State at Tiger Canyon Private Game Reserve. Our cheetahs have returned home! Cheetahs are roaming animals, wandering through their home ranges, hunting prey with precision. They breed well, which captive-born cheetahs struggle to do. Cheetahs can run at up to 120km/hour, making them the fastest land animal on Earth. There is something special about cheetahs. Their physical beauty and calm temperament presents our guests with an unforgettable treat. Because they are non-confrontational by nature, walking with them is often possible. This allows photographers to get eye level and low level shots more easily.
ABOUT THE AREA
Tiger Canyon is situated in the False Karoo, which means it is situated within extensive grasslands and is able to support a wide variety of prey species. In this section of the Free State, along the mighty Orange River, the landscape is filled with deep ravines, treed gully’s, rocky outcrops and a balance between open grassland plains for prey species to breed and feed away from the tigers. Over two decades the tigers have adapted to Karoo conditions effortlessly.
Philippolis, the nearest town to Tiger Canyon, is an artist’s haven. The region has a rich history as part of the Karoo and the Free State. It is the first historical settlement North of the Orange River. Established in 1823, Philippolis is the oldest town in the Free State province. There is notable influence from early European settlers. This town was a missionary outpost named after Dr. John Philip the superintendent of the London Missionary Society.
Philippolis is famous as the birthplace of Sir Laurens van der Post who was born in the town in 1906. An author and political advisor, Sir Laurens is famous for his close friendship with Prince Charles. He was also the godfather of Prince William.
- Fireplace in the suite
- Air conditioning during the day only
- Mini Bar & Coffee station
- Bath & Shower
- Healing Earth Products
- Toothpaste & Toothbrush
- Shower Caps & Sewing kit provided
- Shoe Mitts & Slippers provided
- Tigress Zaria Suite has outdoor shower
- Tigress Ussuri Suite has outdoor shower
About Tiger Canyon Private Game Reserve
The Tiger Canyon Private Game Reserve sits on 6100ha of prime Karoo landscape near the district of District of Philippolis in the Free State of South Africa, with various separate territories for wild tigers and cheetahs to thrive in and survive.
Once you have visited Tiger Canyon, you’ll know why it’s offering is Special & Unique. Besides the obvious tiger which sets this experience apart, there are antelope that are typically not seen in other game reserves of South Africa. The solar powered lodge on the canyon, the vehicles, the vistas, the surreal spirituality, the star gazing, the guides, the safari night drives, the golden hour for photography, the personal touch – all go together to make Tiger Canyon distinctly different… definitely not your average safari experience!